Any other special needs parents here?

Options
13»

Replies

• sshaiwan1
    sshaiwan1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children ages 4,3,1 the older two both have autism. I can very hard on me at times..I would eat when I felt stressed due to their conditions and blame myself. I love my children more than anything, but sometimes it do s take a toll on me and I would need food to fill the pain, or stress, or any bad emotion.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Do you know if there is an active support group on MFP for parents of special needs children?
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    BrettPorrasElliott Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom to an awesome 6 yr old, he is nonverbal autistic. Anyone feel free add me..it does get stressful but I have found a good balance at keeping myself positive and not over worrying.
    You have to look at it like this: if we spend all our days over worrying and stressing ourselves out, we are not spending our time wisely. Take one day at a time, and try to enjoy the time we have with them. Easier said than done I KNOW.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I created a private group for parents of special needs. I will post the link here if anyone is interested in it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114224-parents-of-hfa-and-special-needs-children
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm mom to a 12 year old with Tourettes + the whole host of fun that usually comes with it ADHD, Anxiety, OCD. Good new is when he has a good medication combination and we are consistent, his tics, anxiety and OCD are very much under control. Still can't get him to a level where his ADHD is not an issue due to weight loss, but I'll take 3 out of 4. But it can be draining and stressful on a family. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for some of you with profoundly disabled children, some with multiple. I truly hope you have a strong support network.