Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your goals. There are a lot of haters, but I think if you're looking mainly for cardio, then it's a good deal. If you're looking for weightlifting in a serious way, it's probably not going to work long-term because it simply lacks the equipment you would need for that (e.g., Olympic weights). It could be a good place to start and gain a bit of confidence. Most people don't start lifting 80 lb dumbbells or squatting the maximum preloaded bars they have.

I've read so many articles bashing the place--the most reasoned of which argues that because of it's "no lunk" policy, newer lifters don't get to see, meet, learn from more experienced lifters. People, if they progress, move out of that gym altogether. Further, that it promotes a culture of mediocrity with its pizza, candy, and bagels, and that there is definitely a lack of personal trainers who can teach you proper lifting techniques.
    I'd agree with that, but with the caveat that even their cardio facilities are pretty limited.

It's okay if you just want to use a treadmill (or an elliptical machine, which is of more limited effectiveness). Not so good if you want a more full-body cardio workout, though. No rope slams or medicine ball slams, for example, as that would surely set off the lunk alarm. It's a safe bet that general boot camp style workouts would be forbidden as well, since they tend to be noisy and generally "intimidating."

That's a shame because full body workouts tend to burn more calories AND they are better for developing overall strength. So you can get some decent cardio done at PF, but in a less effective manner than at other places.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Planet Fitness. They actually make fun of people who are fit. They call them "Lunks" and literally have a "Lunk alarm" in the gym to shame people who work out "too hard" or who look "too fit" for their liking. "Judgement-free" my foot.

THAT SAID, if it's the most reasoanble option to get you exercising regularly I say go for it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

Why? I've had their bagels a couple times and they're delicious (Einstein bros bagels). I've also lost 90lbs. I don't eat their pizza because dominos isn't the best, but I make my own pizza and it's also delicious. Again, I've lost 90lbs eating things like this.

And the comment about encouragement... I guess everyone is different but I would feel weird if someone was shouting encouragement at me while I'm lifting or running. I like to be left alone at the gym...

OP - I enjoy PF as it suits my needs. It's cheap, 24/7 and has the equipment I need. If it works for you as well, then awesome! Go for it.

I agree. bagel Tuesday is the one day a month I am there. Mine are from Panera and I just make it part of that day's menu. Membership $xx/month, bagels $-2.50/month - I like.

• kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF with the black card membership. I have been a member of other gyms but I like them the best. I go seven days a week and have only seen pizza there once. Yes there are tootsie rolls by the door but I never liked them so they are not a temptation for me. Now if they were Hershey kisses my *kitten* would never see a weight or cardio machine.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness member here. The price is great, its a 2 min drive, and i can manage with the equipment they have. There is nothing wrong about planet PF if you skip the pizza and the bagels, other than that it's a great place to burn calories
  • smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    People love to hate on PF!
  • geoff9491
    geoff9491 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish they had squat racks and let you deadlift, other than that it is great with the exception of the kind of industrial atmosphere. I rarely see people talking to each other, and if they are it seems they are friendly beforehand.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    smtaylo85 wrote: »

... because PF loves to hate on people. http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad "first" gym.

My son got out of working out after his 2nd year of HS, never got heavy but was going the skinny fat route. In his mid 20's he got his hip busted up in a motorcycle accident. As it healed he started going to a PF since it was open 24/7 after his bartending job (he could do whatever he wanted to there at that time).

He started to get in better shape, took up martial arts and recently joined a real old school gym, pretty much all free weights, sleds, tires, even Atlas stones.

My brother in law also hadn't exercised for a while. He joined a PF since it was cheap and close to his house. After about a year he outgrew it and joined a gym with squat racks, lifting platform, etc. Not sure if he would be on this path if not for starting out at PF.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness. They actually make fun of people who are fit. They call them "Lunks" and literally have a "Lunk alarm" in the gym to shame people who work out "too hard" or who look "too fit" for their liking. "Judgement-free" my foot.

THAT SAID, if it's the most reasoanble option to get you exercising regularly I say go for it.

@ArmyofAdrian Just curious. Do you actually think people at PF go around insulting the fit people there? It would be hard because MOST of the people at my PF are quite fit/muscular. Have you ever been inside one of their gyms and experienced this? If so, that is really sad and I'm sorry you had to experience that!
  • smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    smtaylo85 wrote: »

... because PF loves to hate on people. http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592

Been going there for years and have never had a problem. the one I go to is great and a lot of lifters and fit/muscular people workout there. so it's not every planet fitness.

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @rakowskidp Are you sure that's not a Smith machine? Can you take the bar off the machine?

I have been to a PF that had squat racks and Olympic bars.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.

Please explain what the difference is between having pizza and bagels or getting a big protein shake at the protein bars some gyms have that probably has as many if not more calories than the pizza and bagels. Is it ok because the shake is "healthy"?
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have been to a PF that had squat racks and Olympic bars.
    Cool! In this case, however, I believe @quiksylver296 is right - my gym has a Smith machine. So I stand (rather, sit) corrected.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    geoff9491 wrote: »
    I wish they had squat racks and let you deadlift, other than that it is great with the exception of the kind of industrial atmosphere. I rarely see people talking to each other, and if they are it seems they are friendly beforehand.

There's a handful of friendly guys at my PF who meet for a few minutes before our workouts every weekday morning at 5 AM. Other than that, I'm mostly left alone, which is exactly as I prefer it.