Recommend a diet soda that doesn't taste like diet?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ummm...all soda is bad for you, but diet is the worst. All the artificial crap in there is going to give you cancer. Why not try infused homemade water or something that has some benefits?

False.
  • gerie8
    gerie8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of h2o, but really enjoy fruit infused water the best! Don't like the back taste to diet sodas, but I do will drink Diet Dr Pepper on occasion.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ummm...all soda is bad for you, but diet is the worst. All the artificial crap in there is going to give you cancer. Why not try infused homemade water or something that has some benefits?

Legitimate, scientific research links please.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Legitimate, scientific research links please.

But my friend's mom read it on tumblr!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper

I remember Fresca being pretty good but I haven't had it in years. I like Diet Coke now but it's definitely got the artificial taste.
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have cut myself down to 1 Shasta Cola (Coke is my favorite) a day. I am sure that is going to have to go soon. Never liked diet sodas. I remember Fresca and it was pretty good and anyone old enough to remember TAB??? It was made by CocaCola. Diet Coke replaced it. 0e08641945jp.jpg
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    snavemom wrote: »
    I have cut myself down to 1 Shasta Cola (Coke is my favorite) a day. I am sure that is going to have to go soon. Never liked diet sodas. I remember Fresca and it was pretty good and anyone old enough to remember TAB??? It was made by CocaCola. Diet Coke replaced it.

Remember Fresca? I still buy that in Walmart for $1 and drink the whole thing in two days after a hard workout (unless it's a different one). I second coke zero but I am biased to the clear. I like diet sodas I can see through. Maybe I imagine myself drinking water, eventually :)
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    [quote=
    Remember Fresca? I still buy that in Walmart for $1 and drink the whole thing in two days after a hard workout (unless it's a different one). I second coke zero but I am biased to the clear. I like diet sodas I can see through. Maybe I imagine myself drinking water, eventually :)

I'm good with water but not so much in the winter. Once I master my "coke addiction" the next thing I will tackle is my addiction to microwave popcorn. I need to get a popcorn popper like I had years ago. I'm drinking unsweetened ice tea now. :)

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    [quote=

I'm good with water but not so much in the winter. Once I master my "coke addiction" the next thing I will tackle is my addiction to microwave popcorn. I need to get a popcorn popper like I had years ago. I'm drinking unsweetened ice tea now. :)

My popcorn addiction has changed. Now I get sweet and salty popcorn in a big bag, measure it on my food scale, and have it with my diet soda :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Diet 7up, coke zero and fresca! I haven't tried diet cherry/vanilla coke yet.
    Oh, and diet Dr Pepper!

Um... no, sorry.. Sources, please?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think they all taste 'dietish', but I don't care. Drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper right now. When I go home, I'll make a rum and coke with Coke Zero.

Personally, I don't like drinking non-diet sodas. Too syrupy. Yick.
  • surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always hated diet sodas, but got so tired of iced tea that I gave them another try. Diet cherry 7up is pretty good, as is diet cherry Dr. Pepper. A&W root beer is just ok for me. My mom says she tried a Barq's vanilla root beer and that it was awesome, but I have not seen it.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I have cut myself down to 1 Shasta Cola (Coke is my favorite) a day. I am sure that is going to have to go soon. Never liked diet sodas. I remember Fresca and it was pretty good and anyone old enough to remember TAB??? It was made by CocaCola. Diet Coke replaced it. 0e08641945jp.jpg

Tab is still around, although harder to find these days. I never really acquired that taste.

To the OP - is it specifically the taste of aspartame you don't like? Pepsi One doesn't have any aspartame, it uses a blend of Ace-K and sucralose. I really like Pepsi Max even though it does have aspartame. I think most of the ones that use a mix of multiple artificial sweeteners are better than those that use a single one.

Frankly, though, it's been decades since I've regularly had any non-diet sodas, so I can't really tell you how well they compare. Pepsi Max and Diet Sprite compare closely with my memory of what Pepsi and Sprite taste like.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Frescaaaaaaaaaaaa :)
  • geoff9491
    geoff9491 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Diet Cherry Pepsi, Diet Dr Pepper ... those are about the only two that I think don't taste terrible, but I seem to be the only one who likes sucralose in Diet Pepsi rather than aspartame.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I like Canada Dry diet cranberry ginger ale. Doesn't taste diet-y to me at all.

Diet Dew doesn't taste nearly as bad as I expected and I find it equally as addicting as regular, so I try not to keep it in the house. I stick to single servings from the convenience store.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

Because I drink plenty of water and I like soda. Thanks, doc.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Tab is still around, although harder to find these days. I never really acquired that taste.

To the OP - is it specifically the taste of aspartame you don't like? Pepsi One doesn't have any aspartame, it uses a blend of Ace-K and sucralose. I really like Pepsi Max even though it does have aspartame. I think most of the ones that use a mix of multiple artificial sweeteners are better than those that use a single one.

Frankly, though, it's been decades since I've regularly had any non-diet sodas, so I can't really tell you how well they compare. Pepsi Max and Diet Sprite compare closely with my memory of what Pepsi and Sprite taste like.

I think that's why I don't like certain things, but I honestly don't bother looking at the ingredients. I'll be sure to check for what type of sweetener is used next time. Side note: I find Quest bars taste like Sweet-n-Low.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options

I have a little bet with myself on these threads about how many pages until OP's innocuous question gets a Diet soda, world is going to end!! Response.

1 is usually a safe bet. ;)

Occaisionally 2.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    OP I like coke zero too and Pepsi Max. I do find diet coke a bit more chemically tasting.

All not so strong tasting flavours like lemonade ( eg diet mountain dew) taste chemically to me too.