Not wanting to work out around bodybuilders?

1234568»

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I like PF for no other reason than the price. It's a great value, but I just see their business strategy for what it is. It works for them.

I'll throw another controversial place out there that took almost the exact opposite approach and is also successful....CrossFit. Instead of building a place devoid of "meatheads" they make a place where you're forced to workout with them. Their pricing is crazy high instead of dirt cheap. They exclude treadmills, ellipticals, and weight machines, but embrace most free weights. Both places create a community environment either through exclusion (planet fitness) or inclusion (CrossFit). Both of their customer bases seem to be enthusiastic about where they work out.

High prices and limited hours of operation are exclusive.
    It's unfortunate, but cost and availability do often limit our options. I know one police officer who works out at PF because it's open 24/7. He understands that their policies are ridiculous and counter-productive, but because of his work schedule, PF is the most viable option for him. I can't fault him for that.

Besides, I think we all understand that there's a big difference between exclusivity due to finances or time, and exclusivity due to anti-lunk bigotry.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    It's intimidating no doubt and can definitely make you feel self concious, but you know what I say to that? Suck it up. There will always be someone fitter than you, stronger than you, bulkier than you. If you aren't willing to step out of your comfort zone and deal with it, you'll never be successful. Period.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    It's intimidating no doubt and can definitely make you feel self concious, but you know what I say to that? Suck it up. There will always be someone fitter than you, stronger than you, bulkier than you. If you aren't willing to step out of your comfort zone and deal with it, you'll never be successful. Period.
    So very true. Unfortunately, PF knows that there are a lot of delicate flowers out there (male and female) who feel that they should be sheltered from the presence of people who are either physically fit or strongly motivated. PF also knows that these delicate flowers are unlikely to show up very often or put much stress on the equipment. So PF makes these people their target market -- people who will sign up by droves but seldom actually work out.

That's the rationale behind the free pizza, candy, and pastries. Such treats would not appeal to the folks who are serious about fitness, but they do attract the ones who are not very resolute -- the ones who sorta want to get in shape, as long as doing so doesn't require any real sacrifice.

It's also why PF has rules against doing deadlifts, overhead presses(!), and any other "intimidating exercises" (which, according to some ex-PF members, can even include jumping rope). Not to mention such harmless things as light grunting, carrying a gallon jug of water, or wearing a do-rag. PF understands that their target clientele is poorly informed when it comes to physical fitness, and so they wouldn't immediately grasp why such rules are counter-productive. The resolute gym-goers, on the other hand, would be driven away by such rules, and that's precisely what the company wants.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

What type of bodybuilders? I have been to gyms where things were not that innocent: think competition level, but "second" rate, definitely steroids and it was clear from the first moment that if you happen to be near them, you are not wanted there. That was back to a time when I was spending hours at a gym, was also mostly around guys, was accompanied by my then boyfriend who was a powerlifter, and even he did not feel comfortable there.
    I have also found myself in the middle of groups of 18 year olds who are more like pretend bodybuilders. I think this type is pretty common, 3-4 guys not really doing more than a few reps with weights they clearly cannot lift, and spend lots of time grunting, admiring themselves in the mirror, and loudly discussing supplements and their latest sexual adventures (I am guessing 90% imaginanary). The average woman does not really feel comfortable in such company, and the average older person would feel as annoyed as trying to workout in the middle of a preschooler's party.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Another difference: CrossFit is highly effective. Planet Fitness? Not so much.

"But I lost X number of pounds at Planet Fitness!" some people say. Good for them. The reality, however, is that when you're just starting out, just about any form of exercise will help you lose fat. People would generally be better of going someplace that provides more effective equipment and does not prohibit the more effective exercises.

Or going some place that they can afford. Not everyone can afford an expensive gym.

Why is this all or nothing when it comes to the defense of PF? Why is it every gym besides PF is considered an "expensive gym" or "high priced"?

Limited hours of operation is "exclusive"? You're trying way too hard.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Curves.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited May 2016
    I go to a Y and get a subsidized membership for $30 a month and that includes fully equipped weight room (rack, cage, powerlifting bench/squat stand on a platform, 2 flat bp benches, 2 inclined and 1 decline, dumbells to 120 lbs, kettlebells up to 60 lbs, pull up bands, tons of olympic bars, 1 set of EZ bars from 20-100 lbs, 2 sets of fixed barbells 20-100 lbs, a variety of benches, 2 cable machines and a full array of weight machines), cardio machines, indoor walking/running track, unlimited classes (there are about 30 a day at my gym), gymnasium, pool, free child minding (I don't have children though), free access to fitness staff, seminars etc, etc. Sure it is not 24/7 but it opens at 5 AM and closes at 10 PM on weekdays so it isn't that limited.

I would say that this is an excellent deal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »

"But I lost X number of pounds at Planet Fitness!" some people say. Good for them. The reality, however, is that when you're just starting out, just about any form of exercise will help you lose fat. People would generally be better of going someplace that provides more effective equipment and does not prohibit the more effective exercises.

Or going some place that they can afford. Not everyone can afford an expensive gym.

Why is this all or nothing when it comes to the defense of PF? Why is it every gym besides PF is considered an "expensive gym" or "high priced"?

DYEMFP?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    AnitaDJ88 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

I can definitely relate!!

When I was a bodybuilder, I didn't mind at all. I was right in there with them. But then I got into cycling I haven't been into bodybuilding for years.

The last 3 gyms I've been a member of, I stuck to cardio because I very quickly grew wearing of being stared at, laughed at, yelled at, and shoved out of the way.

Wow, hard to believe you've found three crappy gyms in a row like that. The odds are positively astounding. I've belonged to about 25 gyms in two different states over the last 38 years (and worked out in several more), and not once have I ever been stared at, laughed at, yelled at or shoved out of the way in any of them. And I look nothing like a bodybuilder.

One of the Gold's Gyms I was a member at was the home gym for several professional and amateur bodybuilders. Most of them were among the nicest, kindest, most helpful people I've met in a gym. A couple of them were just so tuned into their workouts that nobody and nothing else existed in the gym around them. They weren't unfriendly or mean, they were just in their own world.

All of this

I worked for golds gym while I was in school. I've never ever saw people being laughed at , shoved or yelled at .

They don't need to laugh,shove or yell at you......it's the look in their eyes and on their faces that says it all! And that's what keeps me well away from gyms although I could really do with going to do some strength training.

Are you sure this is not you projecting your emotions onto them?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    It is nice to see a few folks here managed to reinforce the stereotype that OP is referring to. I mean, putting down folks who go to PF and disregarding it as a real gym because of their marketing strategy/business model? Really? How rude. How superior of you to laugh at them.

I don't go to PF due to other reasons (no way I am giving ANYONE my bank account), but how they operate their business is not one of them.

Wow point missed.

But anyway- THEIR ENTIRE MARKET STRATEGY SAYS THEY ARE NOT A GYM.

BY THEIR OWN WORDS.

Not a single person is putting DOWN someone for choosing to go their- we are pointing out that people who buy into the hypocritical marketing strategy and support that mentality- and yes- people do. And they claim to be none judgmental- and it's the single most judgey gym there is. VS- even a hard core black metal gym- those guys are SUPER nice- they may be loud- they may be big- and they may listen to viking death metal- but they are the first ones to run to help you if you get pinned on your bench- they are the ones who will spot you when you squat and not let you fail.
    They are the ones yelling for you to pull that lift.

You won't get that kind of support at planet fitness.

What's wrong with Viking death metal? Hail Amon Amarth!

XfQHhVA.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

DYEMFP?

Ya.....par for the MFP course.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    People who have succeeded in something I'm trying to accomplish are the worst.

The literal worst.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Planet Fitness created an entire business around those people. Nothing like viewing other's success as your own failure and resenting them for your own internal monologue.

I've always wondered if Planet Fitness revokes your membership if you get in shape? Although, given the mindset of their customers, it's probably never come up.

The planet fitness I go to has a lot of people there who are in great shape. They're still going.

It was a joke. A really funny one actually because Planet Fitness makes their money off the people who don't show up and that's the audience they target. Hence why they don't allow "lunk heads" yet claim to be non-judgmental. Apparently calling someone a lunk head isn't judgmental.

Here's the deal. You can try to put a price on your health all you want to by calling gyms "expensive" but the fact of the matter is I see tons of people spending money on cars they don't need (or cars with luxuries they don't need), new clothes, crap for their kids that they don't need, etc. Your health is worth it's weight in gold and the money you spend on being fit and active, the less you're going to spend on medical expenses. I've done the cheap gym membership at $30 a month and it wasn't a good fit for me. PF offer a $10 a month membership, but there's no way I'd go run on a treadmill for an hour 4-5 times a week and use their excuse for weight equipment. Now I pay $99 a month and it's the best $99 a month I've ever spent. I eat better, I sleep better, I'm losing weight, my triglycerides are down. I'd rather pay $99 a month to that than to my doctor's office. They have enough unhealthy patients to see.