Someone please explain how adjustments work

Options
13»

Replies

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin 920XT watch for Xmas 14. Brilliant device in it's own right. With a Heart Rate Monitor I can accurately record runs, cycling, swimming even skiing and also it counts steps and measures sleep. I wear it all day around.

However, the Garmin Connect side is permanently bugged, and this knocks onto My Fitness Pal. The "active calories" section in Garmin Connect is what MFP relies upon, and for me, as soon as I do a running activity on the watch, the whole thing goes pear shaped at Garmin's end, which results in incorrect Step Calorie Adjustments on MFP.

I have been in an endless email exchange with Garmin about this for well over a year and they just say, the issue is still being investigated.

Now to cap it all, my watch's software was updated to 7.1 on Friday and it's broken the watch's data, which of course means poor data being sent to the already bugged Garmin Connect. It appears to now think my base calorie burn is 1599 calories, meaning to get any Step Adjustment on MFP requires about 20000 steps ;-)

My wife also has a Garmin ( 635 ) and her calorie adjustments are such patent nonsense she just deletes them from MFP each day. I should add that both of us have checked our settings at both ends as per the usual Garmin/MFP support advice.

To summarise, if the OP is using a Garmin I would not be remotely surprised if the issues are related to these somehow.

All that said, the Garmin is a fantastic watch in it's own right in terms of sports activity recording etc. It's just their software side that lets them down.

Now I suppose I could unlink the Garmin from MFP and just add manually but that defeats the entire object of step tracking and also it is a massive pain to convert Garmin steps to MFP minutes walking. Plus I am 99% certain MFP activity database is inaccurate especially walking.

If Apple ever make their watch into a serious piece of sports hardware it will be game over.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I got a Garmin 920XT watch for Xmas 14. Brilliant device in it's own right. With a Heart Rate Monitor I can accurately record runs, cycling, swimming even skiing and also it counts steps and measures sleep. I wear it all day around.

However, the Garmin Connect side is permanently bugged, and this knocks onto My Fitness Pal. The "active calories" section in Garmin Connect is what MFP relies upon, and for me, as soon as I do a running activity on the watch, the whole thing goes pear shaped at Garmin's end, which results in incorrect Step Calorie Adjustments on MFP.

I have been in an endless email exchange with Garmin about this for well over a year and they just say, the issue is still being investigated.

Now to cap it all, my watch's software was updated to 7.1 on Friday and it's broken the watch's data, which of course means poor data being sent to the already bugged Garmin Connect. It appears to now think my base calorie burn is 1599 calories, meaning to get any Step Adjustment on MFP requires about 20000 steps ;-)

My wife also has a Garmin ( 635 ) and her calorie adjustments are such patent nonsense she just deletes them from MFP each day. I should add that both of us have checked our settings at both ends as per the usual Garmin/MFP support advice.

To summarise, if the OP is using a Garmin I would not be remotely surprised if the issues are related to these somehow.

All that said, the Garmin is a fantastic watch in it's own right in terms of sports activity recording etc. It's just their software side that lets them down.

Now I suppose I could unlink the Garmin from MFP and just add manually but that defeats the entire object of step tracking and also it is a massive pain to convert Garmin steps to MFP minutes walking. Plus I am 99% certain MFP activity database is inaccurate especially walking.

If Apple ever make their watch into a serious piece of sports hardware it will be game over.

Thank you! Now that i see it... i get my "base calories" and then "active calories" from garmin. THIS is what it's adding, so it's basically adding calories if i do ANYTHING.

Amazing, i finally know where the issue lies. I guess i'm just going to manually delete the adjustment (if i can figure out where to do that).

I have the Forerunner 230 (without the optical HRM) so it tracks my all day activity and pairs with my garmin HRM for more intense exercise. I love the darn thing (plus it's beautiful) i was just getting sooo frustrated. Gah!

thanks so much to everyone who answered!
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A thread from the Garmin forums about their change to resting calories, which seems to break the MyFitnessPal link.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?350371-Random-change-in-resting-calories