May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Love the detailed race report! It's good to hear that all the training paid off, even 55 miles short. Sounds like you had a great first marathon.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Haha! @instantmartian ! Love the cat story. Im a crazy cat lady too. They are so much easier to deal with than humans, unless they are sticky. o:)
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I would say the shoes. When I switched shoes last time my cadence took a hit and they felt real heavy (mainly because they were 100 grams heavier, not made for speed) but once I broke them in I'm back up there and legs are faster again. Or it could be a bad day .
    @7lenny7 Good job man
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    realalize wrote: »
    Funny little kind-of-running-related story:
    Saturday afternoon, as I was sitting on my butt in front of the TV, my male cat came over, and plopped himself on my lap. His right ear looked like it was wet. I took my thumb and rubbed it, and it was not wet, but actually coated in some sort of sticky substance that smelled sweet and almost a little fruity. I had absolutely no idea what it could have possibly been, but I noticed it was on his right cheek, too. I got a wet paper towel and wiped his ear and face off, which he was not at all happy about. I was still very confused as to what was all over his head. A little while later, I decided to clean up the house a little, when I noticed a fruit-flavored Honey Stinger gel in front of the couch. The darned cat had one tiny hole punctured in the back of the thing. All I can figure is that he stole it from somewhere (I'm not sure where it was - either on the kitchen counter or in a gym bag/backpack somewhere) and was playing with it when he ended up putting a hole in the packaging and decided to rub his face all over the honey that oozed out. :disappointed: I rinsed off the Honey Stinger, inspected it, and realized it didn't lose much of its contents, and it was only a very small puncture on the "a" in "Nutrition Facts," so I dried it off, cut a small square of clear packing tape, and covered the hole. Judge me if you'd like, but I am totally consuming this thing the next time I need a gel. Damn cat.

I sure got a chuckle out of this cat story, @instantmartian. (I'm a crazy cat lady.) Good luck with your motivation dip and getting back on track for your upcoming 10K. I went through that earlier this year and once I got it back, I twisted my ankle very badly running after the bus. After two months of doing little exercise, but walking and some strength training, I had zero motivation and no interest in my usual cardio routine (Les Mills Combat). So I decided to start running again. Sorry for rambling on about myself. How long have you been running for?

I'm glad to provide some entertainment! If you haven't been able to figure out from my profile photo, I might be a bit of a cat lady, myself. :wink: (My boy is the cat in the front. He is quite the handful, to say the least!) I seem to always go into a slump around this time of year, though I can't tell you why. Thankfully, I have managed to remain injury free for over a year, now. I've been running for about six years. That time has been riddled by a few injuries and some outright laziness, but I've participated in some races each of those years. I'm glad you were able to overcome your injuries and lack of motivation! How long have you been at this running thing?
  • instantmartian
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Haha! @instantmartian ! Love the cat story. Im a crazy cat lady too. They are so much easier to deal with than humans, unless they are sticky. o:)

hahaha Crazy cat ladies, unite! :smiley: My kitties tend to be quite the handful, but I guess that's what I get for deciding I need a specific breed of cat that is known to be a handful. I wanted them to make/keep my life interesting, and that they certainly do! I, too, prefer cats to humans on most occasions. haha
  • instantmartian
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oops! Duplicate post. :flushed:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I don't know about you folks but running makes me fart more than normal and this feeling was making me afraid to fart, further compounding the discomfort. I know, in normal circles this is TMI, but we're not normal, we're runners.
    @7lenny7 Great race for a First Marathon - especially slow close to that niggly Achilles issue. If I'm not releasing the gas it's going to be a very bad run. I tend to spend the first 2 km Burping like a sailor on leave with a few farts. 90% Top side gas. Does make you wonder about the facial expressions on the people just a little bit behind you when you are Releasing the Pressure. >:) Yea maybe TMI.

@taadaalaa as a newbie on MFP I suggest you go to the Most Helpful Posts and read all the Logging Accurately posts. At the Top of most of the message boards you will see some stickied posts and they are pretty good information.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double
    5/11 6.2 miles - 62.9
    5/12 9 miles - 71.9
    5/13 6.4 miles - 78.3
    5/14 17 miles - 95.3
    5/15 REST DAY
    5/16 8 miles - 103.3
    5/16 5 miles - 108.3 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Loved your race report! Sounds like you had a great experience overall, with some not-minor-at-the-time inconveniences! Your description of mile 6-15 has happened to me before, even just on a long training run. Congratulations on your first marathon!
    @skippygirlsmom and @MNLittleFinn - Going back a few pages. As an adoptive parent, I always find it interesting when people say it is so giving/great/etc. Like you said, I chose to adopt because I wanted to be a Daddy!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 Wow, thanks for the detailed race report, I love reading race reports! And of course, congratulations on finishing your first marathon! It's really too bad your Achilles & quads conspired against you, otherwise I am sure you would have crushed your 4h goal. Although making it in uder 4:10 with all those obstacles is probably even more impressive! Now I hope you enjoy a few well-earned rest days, take care of that Achilles, and have a few celebratory IPAs :)
    Oh, and if you figure out a way to learn how to drink while running, please let me know how. I always walk at aid stations (or whe drinking out of my own bottle during long runs), trying to drink while running has a high probability to leave me choking and coughing by the road side, I figure that costs me as much time as simply walking...

@greenolivetree Don't worry too much if you fall behind on your goal, getting the knee rested and healed is more important now. I hope you'll be better soon!

@Lord007 Wow, your HM training plan has you running a lot this weekend. After that, the half will probably feel like a vacation :-)

@respectthekitty Great run, kudos on completing c25k week 7 - that's a lot of running you did today!

@WhatMeRunning Slow and heavy with new shoes - that's exactly how I felt today too!
    I took out my new Saucony Xodus for a run today - no trails planned, but they were new and waiting to be used, so I gave them a road trial. I will have to look up the stats online to confirm, but just by feel, they are a lot heavier than any of my other shoes. I felt like I had extra weights strapped to my feet and was really slow today.
    Although I didn't really check my pace during the run - the optical HR measurement of my watch has had some dropouts recently, and one of the support suggestions to "fix" that is trying to wear it on the other wrist. Apart from that fact that it didn't really help with the HR measurement, I kept glancing at the wrong wrist when I wanted to check my pace, and gave up on it altogether in the end. Back home, I realised that I averaged below 7min/km, which is fast for me. I guess the Xodus' didn't slow me down after all, so they are forgiven :)

---

Forgot to post last weeks summary, with the holiday today, it took me another day to realise the week was over ^^
    Mon, 9.05.2016 - rest day
    Tue, 10.05.2016 - easy run, 6.0 km
    Wed, 11.05.2016 - "hill" run, 12.6 km
    Thu, 12.05.2016 - 9.8 km
    Fri, 13.05.2016 - YAYOG W1D4 (the only strength training that week. Need to do better this week!)
    Sat, 14.05.2016 - long-ish run, 14.5 km (shorter than I might have liked, but I wanted to do a recovery week after the HM, so I set myself a "less than 15km" limit)
    Sun, 15.05.2016 - 26.4km bike ride. Because I had already used up all the running milage I'd allowed myself for my "recovery week"...

With todays run, that puts me at 130.5km for May, well on track for my goal. Even if I might not do a long run next weekend - I spontaneously signed up for a nearby 10k next Saturday; I want to take another shot at a sub-60 time!

exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 mi
    5/4 - 2 mi
    5/7 - 2 mi
    5/8 - 2 mi
    5/9 - 2 mi
    5/13- 2mi
    5/15- 1mi

13 down 17 to go.

Forgot to log this yesterday.

@Elise4270 - I am sorry to hear about your dog.

@7lenny7 - Awesome race report.

@instantmartian - I would probably do the same thing. What kind of cats do you have?

So jealous of everyone who got new shoes. I need to go get fitted for a new pair soon just putting it off until I have time without husband or son around to do it. Maybe next month.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    2/5....6k
    4/5....6k
    6/5....6k
    13/5..6k
    16/5..6k......30k for the month. Need to get some motivation .

• heatherdonovan3
    heatherdonovan3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    May 11-2.1 miles
    May 13-2.1 miles
    Total this month-8.2/25 miles

It's not quite where I wanted to be but considering I had bronchitis a couple of weeks ago & still sometimes have trouble breathing, I'll take it.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May Goal: Run just a scootch more than last month...

5/1 deep mucking of the chicken coop and environs
    5/2 4.0
    5/3 life day
    5/4 7.54
    5/5 snorkel 3.5hours
    5/6 3.21
    5/7 4.05
    5/8 rest
    5/9 4.05
    5/10 meh
    5/11 4.54
    5/12 3.26
    5/13 6.05
    5/14 rest
    5/15 4.02
    5/16 3.16

Total 43.88

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    01 May – 16.1 km Distance PB
    03 May – 8.1 km
    05 May – 10.1 km
    07 May – 5 km parkrun PB by 48 seconds! 27:47
    08 May – 8.4 km Mother’s Day Classic
    10 May – 10 km
    12 May – 10.1 km
    13 May – 7 km
    14 May – climbed a mountain, no running but 30,000 steps gets a mention but not counted
    15 May – 15 km PB!
    17 May – 12.1 km

Total: 101.9 km (63.3 miles)
    Goal: 150 km (93 miles)

Upcoming:
    June 11-12: Serra Terror 80 km trail walk relay
    June 19: Winter Solstice Lighthouse to Lighthouse 15 km
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee Lol, that could have been me having those thoughts! I remember doing something similarly smart when I was using a step counting app for a while - put the phone on the TM ledge as usual and run 10 min as gym warmup. Afterwards, as I picked the phone back up, I decided to check how many steps that warmup contributed towards the 10,000-a-day goal - I was a little disappointed by the result ^^