May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    woke up and saw my frog sitting like this. i think i must have looked like this when i got in the whirlpool after the half marathon
    26884025421_71e18458e4.jpg

The whirlpool spun so fast that you turned green? :D
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @moyer566 wow, the frog looks like he's about to melt with relaxation and contentedness, nice photo!

@Orphia Wow, your fitness programm sounds awesome! Body weight exercises every day? That's so impressive, I already struggle to meet my good intentions of 2x strength training per week.

@5BeautifulDays All the best for the surgery, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery!

@7lenny7 Lol, no, I don't remember seeing that one before! Beware the dangerous running addiction!

@RespectTheKitty 23 minutes without stopping, well done! Actually, I think going from not-running to running 5k is the hardest. Going from 5k to 10k gets a little easier, and when you run 15km, 20km don't seem like that much longer anymore... Plus, t.b.h., it's not like everyone has to end up running 10miles or more - when I first started running, I was happy with my 3x30 minutes per week for quite a few years. Until I let my guard down and the addiction snuck up on me ^^

By the way, I'm convinced cyclists are just as crazy as runners. I drove over to "my" mountain today, met the same two guys a couple of times during the run:
    First time they were going up shortly after I had turned around to go back down - they did say "Good evening", but they looked like what they were doing was hard! They passed me 15 minutes later (at that point all of us going down) near the foot of the climb, and sounded a lot happier as they were zipping past - they shouted back to me in passing that now I could have had the road to myself ^^ After that, I was actually thinking about those cyclists as I ran on - there's a hill I have to climb when I ride my bike to work and I hate it - how crazy that they ride to the freaking mountains for fun?
    I usually run a little extra hill detour before I got all the way down to the car park. So today, as I got near the top of the extra hill, I met those same guys on their bikes again! My first though was "how on earth did they end up back up here - there were already down, why would they do a loop that leads them up another hill?!". To be fair, judging by their stunned expressions, they might have thought the same of me. In the end we all just grinned as we passed each other. Still, I'm counting that as evidence that we runners aren't the only crazies out there. Not to mention that cycling friend I have who keeps hoarding bikes like other people hord running shoes...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Running fewer miles the week of a race is tough, but necessary. And I am totally bummed that I can't do my 38 Mile Night Fun Run on June 4.... I forgot that it was my son's graduation that day. I felt like crap because I debated long and hard about asking him if he would mind me not being there. :/ Anyway, I am going to swap that race out for another 50k in Ohio in July... that will still give me three 50ks and a couple of HMs to get ready for October... but still, I can't believe I was seriously thinking about skipping his graduation for a race....

You may be addicted to running if . . .

it may be fun to add our own.

...if you plan your wedding or honeymoon around a particular race. I'm not looking at @moyer566 on this one.

...if you missed the birth of a child/grandchild because of your long run.

...if you don't bother with your facebook but get stressed out if you have neglected your strava feed.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thanks for the boot suggestions. If you hadn't shared that Skip ran in her's, I wouldn't have kept trying to figure this thing out. An orthotic and following the instructions putting it on helped. I think the way it was initially put on me was "wrong" or loose or something.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Running fewer miles the week of a race is tough, but necessary. And I am totally bummed that I can't do my 38 Mile Night Fun Run on June 4.... I forgot that it was my son's graduation that day. I felt like crap because I debated long and hard about asking him if he would mind me not being there. :/ Anyway, I am going to swap that race out for another 50k in Ohio in July... that will still give me three 50ks and a couple of HMs to get ready for October... but still, I can't believe I was seriously thinking about skipping his graduation for a race....

...if you plan your wedding or honeymoon around a particular race. I'm not looking at @moyer566 on this one.

...if you don't bother with your facebook but get stressed out if you have neglected your strava feed.

...if your lawn is terribly neglected from your weekend long runs and races. Not that this sort of thing has ever happened, mind you.

...if you have an Amazon Dash Button for your favorite pair of running shoes (or Pop-Tarts).
  • Elise4270
    Options

How about when you're traveling and feel the need to take the tangents on all roadways.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ....If you keep waking up earlier and earlier because it's so much more fun to get your mileage in in the dark.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

How about when you're traveling and feel the need to take the tangents on all roadways.

. . . if you describe driving to a race as being "trapped in a car all day."
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    May 03      4.2T     4.2  
    May 04      4.2T     8.4 
    May 06      5.1     13.5 
    May 07      8.2     21.7 
    May 08      5.6     27.3 
    May 09      4.2     31.5 
    May 11      6.5     38.0 

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    ...if you ever decided it would be too painful to get out of your car after driving home from a race so you grab drive thru food and sleep in the car overnight.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ...if you ever decided it would be too painful to get out of your car after driving home from a race so you grab drive thru food and sleep in the car overnight.

Haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'll be driving 200+ miles home the day I run my first half, so it may happen then.....
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I did that before I started running!

• Elise4270
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I did that before I started running!

Go speed racer, go speed racer goooo!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm not feelin' the podiatrist I saw. I don't feel he listened to my concerns. I left a message today regarding the boot- it's been hard to wear. I did not receive a call back.

So I asked my husband's opinion. He said I probably just have tendonitis and it'll heal in time. Maybe so, but I have serious pain pressing on the navicular n spot and on top. It's been 17 days. I'm still limping. But a little less. My husband said no way it's a stress fracture, or anything that warrants a doc visit. Just wait it out. Admittedly I sometimes run to the doc too quickly.

How long do you wait? Maybe I let Google get to me. Anyone have a stress fracture/tendonitis experience they can share?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - I think 17 days is a long time to be limping. I haven't had a stress fracture but my kids had them and it seems like they usually had to wait 4 weeks. You are almost there at this point. But, it seems like if you are worried about it (which I would be too), you should get a second opinion. I just hate that you are limping that long because you know how when you limp you are possibly hurting another part.
    I sure hope it feels better soon! I miss seeing all your mileage!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just a mid-paced 3 miler at noon today with my tri team following a long hard bike ride. I haven't been doing enough of those "brick" workouts, and I definitely could feel it in my legs on the run, and with the mid-day sun/exposed asphalt path, my body wasn't liking me too much.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles

Total: 56 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 124 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@whatmerunning and @ddmom0811 - I've been subtly swapping out my avatars based on geographies for a while (as I alternate between Florida/Pittsburgh), but figured racing a BQ this month warranted its own special avatar. Luckily the south park character generator I use for it had built in options for devil horns, red sunglasses, red shorts, red shirt, and a goatee. The tail & bib were easy to add over in MS paint.

@7lenny7 - Awesome scenic trail. Glad you were able to take advantage of your work geography and run along it.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Thanks. My gait is off even more so. But after I have hip surgery I'll go through PT and gait training. I appreciate your feedback. You're always super helpful.

Edit- maybe the podiatrist has me waiting 2 weeks to hit that 4 week mark. Maybe he know what he's doing.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    5/01: 6 miles, easy
    5/02: 6 miles, easy
    5/03: Off, rest day + strength training
    5/04: 5 miles, easy
    5/05: Off, rest day
    5/06: 6 miles, tempo
    5/07: 5 miles, easy
    5/08: 10 miles, long and slow
    5/09: Off, rest day + core
    5/10: 7 miles, easy
    5/11: 5 miles, easy
    Total: 50 miles

An easy 5 miles today in the sun! A little on the speedy side for an easy run, but I just couldn’t help myself :)

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Too many posts to catch up on or comment. Some killer race's and great runs. Sounds like the Injured are coming off the Bleachers and getting some slow gentle walk - run combo's to ease into the routine. I really think I am going to have to plan a Running Addict - European vacation next year - Iceland, Greenland, Scotland, Ireland and ?

A nice run doing what some might consider a Hill - we just call it Pats Creek since it is one of the Easiest Hills out of our River valley. Ran with one of the Ladies I respect and who I consider to be very Modest about her abilities - ever HM race we have been to she gets to the finish line 10-20 minutes before me.
    So I think she was sandbagging me just to be kind.
    5.5 km's in 34 minutes uphill with no walk breaks and then flying down the hill in 29 minutes.
    Net 11 km in 63 mins. 5:45/km. :)

05/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    05/01 – 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km
    05/05 – 14.0 Km – 24.0 - 116 km
    05/08 – 8.0 Km – 32.0 - 108 km
    05/11 – 11.0 Km – 43.0 - 97 km – YTD - 557.8 km

exercise.png