Tired, Sad, and Stressed - Willpower Question

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I'm dealing with a challenge today, so I'll pose it to the group. How do you exert willpower against easily accessible treats when you're tired, under-slept, sad, displeased with yourself, and stressed? What's your best non-food method of coping with these things?

I know that over time habit decides food choices. There is nothing inherently wrong with a donut in and of itself, but I would like to start creating healthier habits like distancing myself from junk foods.

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    A really long walk with your favourite music? A nap? A bath? A hot cup of tea? A chore you've been putting off? My favourite ...shopping?
  • kiela64
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    kae612 wrote: »
    How do you exert willpower against easily accessible treats

This may sound incredibly obvious but...make them less accessible and less visible.

Out of sight, out of mind and all that ;)

Haha, yes I don't keep them in the house. But I mean eg. the Tim Hortons and Starbucks at my school. I pass them on my way to class, it's right across the hall from the library.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I often don't. I track everything, and that is what is truly my motivation, when I see that I've well exceeded my daily allowance. It's bound to happen now and then, for me the more important part is logging it and learning from it. Then the next time, I at least think twice. I also find that moving more, walking more, helps curb my impulses. I think it improves my mental health as much as my physical health.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a tantrum, seriously, I either throw a pillow or have a cry hit the heavy bag. ..exert energy (all in privacy, of course ) I also rely on music to alter my mood.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

This may sound incredibly obvious but...make them less accessible and less visible.

Haha, yes I don't keep them in the house. But I mean eg. the Tim Hortons and Starbucks at my school. I pass them on my way to class, it's right across the hall from the library.

Lolz - I get you now.

Are you able to carry around pre-prepared food which fits in with your goals or change your route so it passes less places you struggle with perhaps? I think many people make poor choices when they get particularly hungry and it is far easier not to have to deal with temptation in the first place then to use willpower to fight it.

Alternatively you could allocate a reasonable percentage of your calories to making space for a treat.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Do a hobby you like. When your hands are doing something, you won't be wanting to eat. Hobbies are a great way to relieve stress as well as exercise. Call a friend or family member and chat while walking or marching in place.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Speaking for me, based on your first post, I would be rocking up at Starbucks for a skinny latte...maybe an extra shot of espresso too. From memory I think a tall skinny w/sugar free syrup is 110 calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with a challenge today, so I'll pose it to the group. How do you exert willpower against easily accessible treats when you're tired, under-slept, sad, displeased with yourself, and stressed? What's your best non-food method of coping with these things?

Tell myself that it will be better tomorrow and that I can hang in there for a day. That and make sure I eat all my calories with foods which are a little bit higher on the protein side of things.

BTW - that's been the story of my life pretty much since Easter. Working full time at a job that is getting busier all the time. Going to university part-time with frustratingly long and difficult IT assignments due on which I've got to do well because my job is allowing me to attend uni with the expectation that I will pass the courses. During the week I've been getting about 5 hours sleep while I try to accomplish it all.

I actually find that following my "usual" diet is a welcome relief. I don't have to think about food ... I just have to eat what I usually eat, and I will be fine.
  • kportmanshark
    kportmanshark Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Acceptance.

Accept your suffering and it becomes much more bearable. Struggling against suffering, which is a major part of life, is what creates anxiety and unhappiness.

Everything happens for a reason, accept it, and better things will come for you in the future.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you honestly never see yourself going to Starbucks again? Maybe try saying to yourself 'Not today, but Thursday'... allow yourself a day a week where you go to Starbucks or Tim Hortons and allow yourself that treat (adapt like make it a small or don't add sugar, or get only a small cookie etc). Really savour it and say to yourself that was nice, take some quiet time, sit, think (or not think but just experience the moment), be quiet in yourself and enjoy the coffee. Don't rush in and out and scoff the whole thing and feel bad.

The next day maybe sit in the Library and read for a while. The day after that go for a little walk somewhere nice and take in the surrounds. The next day maybe go and sit under a nice tree and have some time out. With every thing you do, savour the moment and recoup.

Take a moment or two in your day to be quiet, breathe, be in the moment rather than letting your thoughts take over. Sounds like you just need a little time out if you can find some time in your day (even 10 minutes).
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you have the opportunity, exercise. Contemplate (i.e. find something beautiful and take your time - no less than 2 minutes - enjoying the beauty). Self control (willpower) is about managing your interests across time: giving up something today for a future benefit. Imagine the tomorrow-self feeling grateful for the today-self for not giving in to instant gratification. There are more tips here:
    http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx
  • kiela64
    edited May 2016
    Options
    (oops posted twice)
  • kiela64
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for such helpful suggestions! I made myself a herbal tea for now (a little bit sweet but not too much), and I'm going to pack my lunch and go to the gym for a short swim. It leaves a bit less time for working, but if it helps me feel better I can be more productive in the time I have.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I log faithfully. If there are treats, in the back of my mind I know I'll have to look at those numbers move so I'm constantly asking myself if I want the "treat" bad enough to look down at my phone and post it.
    ...and the list of inappropriate things I'm willing to face is now MUCH smaller.
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I found a new app called Happify. It is designed to help combat the negative emotions we are all susceptible to. If nothing else, it could be a distraction?
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A habit replacement for me is I've substituted buying a calorie free or as close as possible treat in place of that bag of candy or chips I used to buy. A nice cold Diet Coke or fresh pack of gum are not the punishment of being allowed absolutely nothing. So when the itch to "get something" hits I'm now pretty good at reaching for things that meet my goals rather than trash them. Not ever getting something was not working!
  • sheilafairlamb
    sheilafairlamb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    Do you honestly never see yourself going to Starbucks again? Maybe try saying to yourself 'Not today, but Thursday'... allow yourself a day a week where you go to Starbucks or Tim Hortons and allow yourself that treat (adapt like make it a small or don't add sugar, or get only a small cookie etc). Really savour it and say to yourself that was nice, take some quiet time, sit, think (or not think but just experience the moment), be quiet in yourself and enjoy the coffee. Don't rush in and out and scoff the whole thing and feel bad.

This definitely. On Wednesday lunch times I go out to eat with my closest workmate. I still log everything I eat, and it normally means having a slightly smaller dinner or less snacks during the rest of the day. I love Wednesday's now and I really enjoy that meal, and spending time with my friend. So it's a real treat and it gets me through my least favourite day of the week!