Never seen a community forum like MFP's!

Options

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You haven't been on the WoW forums, have you?

truth lol

Haha! WoW is like the ultimate in trolls. "Why do they call it a xbox360?" I got so tired of that one... and it still is going...
  • Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate.gif

love it!!! lol if you don't like the forum..simply just get out!!! lol
  • Marianeyda
    Options
    i just wasted 20 minutes of work reading this........nobody asked for my opinion so im going to give it.

1. if you dont like this place why on earth are you here....why even post a new thread???????
    2. the world is full of weird and meen people mfp is not immune to these folks
    3. i dont understand all this snowflake stuff
    4. people who talk about people causeing trouble are just as nosey and guilty of starting trouble as the people they talk about.

i second the motion!!! lol

thanks you
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what message boards you've been on, but this is easily the most supportive, positive, sunshine and rainbows community I've ever come across.

It's expressly set up so as not to offend people and to cater to people who are new to online forums. There's so much stuff on here that would be bannable offenses on other forums I've been on: necroposting, posting the same topic over and over and over, posting something that is clearly already at the top of the forum, failing to use the search function, posting a topic in the guise of a legitimate question and then attacking everyone who tells you you're wrong. It's all completely allowed here and a lot of people don't even bat an eye at it.

I don't even understand why people think there is so much negativity and trolling on this site in the first place. If I had to estimate, I'd say that threads on average have about 60% helpful/supportive responses, 5% mean/inappropriate/trolling responses, and the remaining 35% chunk is people yelling at the mean people for being mean and then spending the remainder of the thread complaining about how mean everyone is. It's rare that I see a post that is actually over-the-top mean or nasty; most of the time, people are responding to someone's tone or when someone tells another poster that their goals are unrealistic. That's not mean or trolling, not even close. Just because you didn't want to hear it doesn't make it bad.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My least favorite trolls are the people that come into the chit chat forums and demand to know what the topic has to do with fitness. Or the people who come in an make posts and threads asking people why they behave the way they do. Oh, and of course the people who are always saying that society is going down the tubes and not like the good ol' days. Those are my least favorites.

The mods are always the worst trolls. Always deleting our shiz.

All up in our shiz. The nerve!
  • Marianeyda
    Options
    I have no clue what message boards you've been on, but this is easily the most supportive, positive, sunshine and rainbows community I've ever come across.

It's expressly set up so as not to offend people and to cater to people who are new to online forums. There's so much stuff on here that would be bannable offenses on other forums I've been on: necroposting, posting the same topic over and over and over, posting something that is clearly already at the top of the forum, failing to use the search function, posting a topic in the guise of a legitimate question and then attacking everyone who tells you you're wrong. It's all completely allowed here and a lot of people don't even bat an eye at it.

I don't even understand why people think there is so much negativity and trolling on this site in the first place. If I had to estimate, I'd say that threads on average have about 60% helpful/supportive responses, 5% mean/inappropriate/trolling responses, and the remaining 35% chunk is people yelling at the mean people for being mean and then spending the remainder of the thread complaining about how mean everyone is. It's rare that I see a post that is actually over-the-top mean or nasty; most of the time, people are responding to someone's tone or when someone tells another poster that their goals are unrealistic. That's not mean or trolling, not even close. Just because you didn't want to hear it doesn't make it bad.

couldn't of said it better! ;)
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    verrry interresttiiing.....hahahaa!

just read all the posts. most people didn't really understand my question -

"why is THIS site different?"

my feelings haven't been hurt by anything said on these message boards. i don't need kittens and rainbows (i got a whole box of that at home). my post was about ONE topic - i was noticing a trend, commenting on it, and wondering why.

it probably is the low common denominator thing. thanks to those who posted answers to my actual question, or relevant observations.

everyone, thank you, and good night!
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    My least favorite trolls are the people that come into the chit chat forums and demand to know what the topic has to do with fitness. Or the people who come in an make posts and threads asking people why they behave the way they do. Oh, and of course the people who are always saying that society is going down the tubes and not like the good ol' days. Those are my least favorites.

All up in our shiz. The nerve!

Ladies! Ladies! Language!

I prefer the term "pewp"
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's a typical place online, I have never been to a forum where everyone treated everyone with respect and everyone got alone. There are trolls, there are mean people in the world, there are hateful people, people who think they are always right and have to argue with everyone. It's apart of the online culture.

The only reason I have been here so long is because it works and I have made some great friends. This place to me is different because I get something out of it. More then just friends, but something for myself something for my body.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I've been a party to many different message boards. This is no different. In fact I think it's better.
    I've met friends for life here, I've met people who will be in my wedding.

Sometimes there is a bit of snip, but honestly that's life. Things are what you make of them.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I find MFP to be mild compared to other places.

Agreed. Every online forum I've ever visited has aholes. Such is life.
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    I didn’t expect everyone to agree with my opinion and reasoning on some things I believe but I can say I wasn’t expecting the angry, name calling, and hate e-mails on the site from others who didn’t agree with me. I didn’t leave MFP I just opted out of reading anymore posts on my own thread after a while. I simple don’t want to read such things. I realize now it is a post, and no everyone will read it or get out of it what you personally mean necessary. Some will take it wrong, offensive, pointless, or even as if you just personally told them they are stupid because it is aganst their own belief. SO I won’t be as forward with my opinion on specific things without first wondering if it will negatively affect someone and start a fight. It’s not that you have to tip toe but if you don’t have a MASS majority of consideration before you say something you should expect a few whacks on the head. LOL
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    white people problems :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Way down inside some people are just d-bags and it shows when they post. They confuse honesty with sarcasm and forget what their mothers taught them about using good manners. You can always tell who these folks are because they contribute little to any discussion and when someone calls them out on the trolling d-baggery, they sieze on it and over take the conversation to argue their "point".

It's best to not feed the trolls. Ignore them and they'll move on to other forums.

Oh yeah!?

Well, your an idiot.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I think they do that because otherwise, we'd run out of things to discuss. People would reference the previous discussion when someone posted one of the many recurring topics and it would /thread. By "forcing" a new discussion each time, they drive page views to the forums...and those views = ad $$$$.

At least that's my theory.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Way down inside some people are just d-bags and it shows when they post. They confuse honesty with sarcasm and forget what their mothers taught them about using good manners. You can always tell who these folks are because they contribute little to any discussion and when someone calls them out on the trolling d-baggery, they sieze on it and over take the conversation to argue their "point".

It's best to not feed the trolls. Ignore them and they'll move on to other forums.

Oh yeah!?

Well, your an idiot.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=31489685
  • duanekeys
    duanekeys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find this community to be very supportive: http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit
  • ShadowChaser16
    Options
    You think this is bad, ever gone on Yahoo Answers?

Honestly, every message board and anything social on the internet is like this. People are a lot more free to express themselves when they don't have to worry about others judging them or talking about them. Unfortunately, that freedom brings out the worst in some people.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    white people problems :laugh:

Heard this one before. HAHAHA!! Love it!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    This is pretty tame. People commenting on Slate, MSNBC, NYTimes are way, way worse.