PCOS success with weightloss

Options

Replies

• Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    chupajen wrote: »
    You look amazing, and that black romper(?) is adorable. Keep up the good work, these before and after pix are really inspirational.

Thank you! Yes, black romper :)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Helpful tips for carb hacks: pizza crust and or dough based items, try CAULIFLOWER :) you can also use cauliflower to make tortillas :)

(After pizza crust, I'll give you a pasta noodle substitute; spaghetti squash)

Pizza crust:
    Ingredients
    Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, oregano
    (or whatever spices you like for pizza)
    2 eggs
    1 head of cauliflower

1. Either with a food processor or cheese grater, grind up cauliflower (size of grain of rice).

2. Place ground pieces into a pot of water, boil on stove under texture of mash potatoes.

3. Drain out all the excess water and pat dry

4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray

5. Mix two eggs in with cauliflower and mash together.

6. Place mixture onto baking sheet, flatten dough into shape of a pizza. Then use your spices to place on top of dough.

7. Set oven to 450 and place into oven for 10-13 min. Remove and add sauce with additional toppings and cheese. Bake an additional 12-15 (until top is cheese is Melted)

Enjoy!

Now if you're a pasta lover, think about SPAGHETTI SQUASH (vegetable by potatoes;yellow)

1. Poke knife in and out, in direction as you will cut squash in half.

2. Place on microwave safe dish; 3-5min to soften squash.

3. Cut squash in half

4. Use a spoon to scrape out seeds

5. Olive oil and season both halves (I use pepper and garlic powder, add spices after it cooks)

6. On a baking sheet place face down. Place into preheated oven at 375 for 35min.

7. Wait for it to cool, use a fork to drag through each middle of each halve. This strings out like spaghetti. Enjoy with pasta sauce and or Alfredo with chicken and or fish with or without more veggies.

Enjoy! :) (carb hacks)

I need to try the tortillas. I am also having stomach cramping and IBS issues from likely gluten and others. After doing some paper journaling of foods eaten(with time) and symptoms(With times) I'd determined that I do not see the IBS symptoms when I have not had bread/pasta. I don't have much trouble passing on bread it's more pasta and tortillas as we have spaghetti night and taco night just about weekly.

Essentially I've started your first step there. :) Research health issues and what I need to cut out. With some elevated fasting glucose issue, hypertension and then my PCOS or insulin resistance(not diagnosed but suspected/probable), and IBS I've found some things I just can't keep eating if I want to get healthier.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Helpful tips for carb hacks: pizza crust and or dough based items, try CAULIFLOWER :) you can also use cauliflower to make tortillas :)

(After pizza crust, I'll give you a pasta noodle substitute; spaghetti squash)

Pizza crust:
    Ingredients
    Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, oregano
    (or whatever spices you like for pizza)
    2 eggs
    1 head of cauliflower

1. Either with a food processor or cheese grater, grind up cauliflower (size of grain of rice).

2. Place ground pieces into a pot of water, boil on stove under texture of mash potatoes.

3. Drain out all the excess water and pat dry

4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray

5. Mix two eggs in with cauliflower and mash together.

6. Place mixture onto baking sheet, flatten dough into shape of a pizza. Then use your spices to place on top of dough.

7. Set oven to 450 and place into oven for 10-13 min. Remove and add sauce with additional toppings and cheese. Bake an additional 12-15 (until top is cheese is Melted)

Enjoy!

Now if you're a pasta lover, think about SPAGHETTI SQUASH (vegetable by potatoes;yellow)

1. Poke knife in and out, in direction as you will cut squash in half.

2. Place on microwave safe dish; 3-5min to soften squash.

3. Cut squash in half

4. Use a spoon to scrape out seeds

5. Olive oil and season both halves (I use pepper and garlic powder, add spices after it cooks)

6. On a baking sheet place face down. Place into preheated oven at 375 for 35min.

7. Wait for it to cool, use a fork to drag through each middle of each halve. This strings out like spaghetti. Enjoy with pasta sauce and or Alfredo with chicken and or fish with or without more veggies.

Enjoy! :) (carb hacks)

I need to try the tortillas. I am also having stomach cramping and IBS issues from likely gluten and others. After doing some paper journaling of foods eaten(with time) and symptoms(With times) I'd determined that I do not see the IBS symptoms when I have not had bread/pasta. I don't have much trouble passing on bread it's more pasta and tortillas as we have spaghetti night and taco night just about weekly.

Essentially I've started your first step there. :) Research health issues and what I need to cut out. With some elevated fasting glucose issue, hypertension and then my PCOS or insulin resistance(not diagnosed but suspected/probable), and IBS I've found some things I just can't keep eating if I want to get healthier.

Pintrest is very helpful with recipes. You can also Google tortillas made out of cauliflower. :) yes! My husband has noticed a huge change from taking out gluten. He has an allergy to wheat, rye and barely. That's how it was a little easier to remove breads altogether.

I do treat myself to some Bakery goods from time to time but I know that's an occasional treat. I can feel a huge difference, when I remove certain foods. I feel less fluffy, my face doesn't puff up and I don't feel bloated or sluggish. What keeps me reverting back to mainly choosing healthy options, is how it helps my body feel much better. Then I have more motivation to kick up the exercise. I have also watched lab work from my Dr highly improve. I went from some abnormal and or high levels go down into a healthy range. I also watched my blood pressure go from high to normal.

Best of luck to you!
  • Vermons01
    Vermons01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you look amazing! Secondly, what did you do any resistance training? Did you take any vitamins/supplements to aid you in your journey?
  • asola80
    asola80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I was diagnosed with PCOS in November. I finally had a consultation with an endocrinologist in February who straight-up told me that none of my symptoms would improve unless I lost weight. I started that day (February 18th) and am now down 24 pounds, but I'm still around 70 away from my goal. Like you, I've tried to cut carbs but learned quickly that I get grumpy when I try to cut them out entirely. It makes me feel like I'm "dieting." Not to mention, I don't think I could sustain that kind of discipline for the rest of my life. So I still eat rice and even pasta, I just try to "save up" my carbs that day to stay within my macros. I also try to make substitutions when I can (zucchini "noodles," brown rice, pita bread instead of white buns, etc). I love reading success stories from other women with PCOS because I feel like they really get it. You really look amazing! Thanks for the inspiration!

• asola80
    asola80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great results...thanks for sharing these tips
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and am finding it hard to lose weight again. I lost about 60 lbs before my wedding in 2012 but have gained it all plus an extra 20 since then. Along with adding the weight on it started messing with my joints so i can't workout as hard as i was the last time i lost weight ( i wouldn't go to bed at night until I had burned 1200 calories according to my heart rate monitor... probably a little too obsessed with that...) but I know i won't be able to do that right now hurting the way I do, but I feel like if I don't do that the weight won't come off. Your story was inspirational and I had thought about cutting carbs but the eating like a diabetic sounds like a great idea!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you all would like, I am looking for some new/more motivational friends to help me stay focused!
  • pcousins13Patricia
    pcousins13Patricia Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I have PCOS as well and it is really hard to lose weight. I'm trying to cut back on carbs, but that is hard too! I'm determined to do it, though! I just started cutting out my normal morning toast and just have an omlette now. Sweets are still an issue....it sucks being addicted to something! I do exercise daily for at least an hour, sometimes two, depending on the day. I weight train, do videos, and run/walk on the treadmill.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Vermons01 wrote: »
    Firstly, you look amazing! Secondly, what did you do any resistance training? Did you take any vitamins/supplements to aid you in your journey?

Thank you! I didn't do any weight Machines. I only did home exercise and or jog the near by park. The Jillian Michaels 30day shred is what I used, that has squat/lunge exercises, while using arm weights and abdominal exercises as well as planks, walk out push-ups. I only take a multi woman vitamin. I know protein whey for shakes is helpful for some to get more protein in. I personally haven't bought any but I know that does help some. :)

• Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    asola80 wrote: »
    Great results...thanks for sharing these tips

Thank you, you're welcome!
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    lep_623 wrote: »
    I too have PCOS and am finding it hard to lose weight again. I lost about 60 lbs before my wedding in 2012 but have gained it all plus an extra 20 since then. Along with adding the weight on it started messing with my joints so i can't workout as hard as i was the last time i lost weight ( i wouldn't go to bed at night until I had burned 1200 calories according to my heart rate monitor... probably a little too obsessed with that...) but I know i won't be able to do that right now hurting the way I do, but I feel like if I don't do that the weight won't come off. Your story was inspirational and I had thought about cutting carbs but the eating like a diabetic sounds like a great idea!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you all would like, I am looking for some new/more motivational friends to help me stay focused!

Cutting carbs is hard and eating like a diabetic sounds less intimidating ;) I have my moments of eating things I know I shouldn't. As long as you learn tools to help keep you on track, don't fret about treating yourself in moderation :)
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    pcousins13 wrote: »
    Thank you for this post! I have PCOS as well and it is really hard to lose weight. I'm trying to cut back on carbs, but that is hard too! I'm determined to do it, though! I just started cutting out my normal morning toast and just have an omlette now. Sweets are still an issue....it sucks being addicted to something! I do exercise daily for at least an hour, sometimes two, depending on the day. I weight train, do videos, and run/walk on the treadmill.

I know the feeling! Sweets are a soft spot for me too. I try telling myself to do good during the week and treat myself on the weekends. :) I sometimes slip up during the week, that's ok as long as I don't stop working out and getting back on track. ;)

• kikilareggae
    kikilareggae Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    PCOS here, too. Awesome post and progress! Very inspiring!
  • katanak9
    katanak9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm another PCOS person... And I'm 36. Sorry if this is a personal question- Just wondering how many of you successfully fell pregnant after losing weight? I'm at the start of my journey (in terms of weight loss) but my doctor gave me the impression that pregnancy was unlikely, partially because of the PCOS and partially because of my age. Would love to hear some 'proved them wrong ' stories.
  • jewwell007
    jewwell007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do any of you find that you feel irritable or depressed when cutting back on carbs, how do you counter that?
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A very personal question for anyone with PCOS who wants to answer, If not I understand since it's a public forum. I was diagnosed in Dec last year, I honestly don't even remember what the told me, All I remember is I have 12 follicles on each ovary and excess hair, I have never had issues with my periods, they are always on time and I know when I'm ovulating each month, My obgyn put me on birth control stating she thought that would help me with my symptoms (only symptoms I had was excess hair and overweight) but after 4 months of taking it, I did not like the side effects, nor did it help my symptoms so I quit and now my periods are back to normal. So my question is how many women have normal periods and ovulating? I know there are complete different levels of PCOS. Sorry for the book, I was typing so fast hopefully it makes sense :)
  • Keep_on_cardio
    edited May 2016
    Options
    katanak9 wrote: »
    I'm another PCOS person... And I'm 36. Sorry if this is a personal question- Just wondering how many of you successfully fell pregnant after losing weight? I'm at the start of my journey (in terms of weight loss) but my doctor gave me the impression that pregnancy was unlikely, partially because of the PCOS and partially because of my age. Would love to hear some 'proved them wrong ' stories.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 2012. I had already had my oldest daughter in 2011. I had two MC in 2013 and ended up pregnant with my son (4 months after 2nd MC). He's currently a healthy 16mth old little boy. I was told, as long as cysts aren't blocking ovaries that it is possible. I lost 10lb before conceiving my son and was placed on progesterone, until he was 12wks to make sure it wasn't a low progesterone problem. I was told to take prenatals while trying to conceive and the Dr had placed me on Metformin. I did stop taking Metformin after getting pregnant with my son. I was told if I couldn't get pregnant on my own, they would've given me Clomid and that helps with ovulation but is known for causing multiples (twins or triplets). I wish you luck and possibly finding another OB who has more compassion, helping you with getting pregnant. Also understand your Dr is only warning you, because after age 35 (we as women) are considered a high risk and you could end up with other high risk issues with insulin resistance (from the PCOS). I'm only informing on possibilities of being treated for gestational diabetes, at some point because I was. I had to do insulin injections with my daughter and son, around 30wks pregnant. My blood sugars returned to normal, after I gave birth.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    PCOS here, too. Awesome post and progress! Very inspiring!

Thank you!

• Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    jewwell007 wrote: »
    Do any of you find that you feel irritable or depressed when cutting back on carbs, how do you counter that?

Yes! I cave sometimes (usually with sweets). I believe it helps to find alternatives to items you love, finding a way to cut down the carb intake. What are your favorite carbs to indulge in? Maybe I can throw out better alternatives. I found these pretty awesome protein bars (peanut butter and chocolate chip) 16carbs. ;) problem is if you can't just eat one, don't eat it! :) there's ways to get your taste buds and mind to be happy! Without over doing the carbs. I'm telling you, Pinterest is my go to. Whatever you find yourself leaning towards.. Google healthier alternatives to pizza or breads, or sweets. I love alternatives, it's the prep cutting and cooking that tends to wear on ppl bc it's not a quick fix. :neutral:
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Kelly_2013 wrote: »
    A very personal question for anyone with PCOS who wants to answer, If not I understand since it's a public forum. I was diagnosed in Dec last year, I honestly don't even remember what the told me, All I remember is I have 12 follicles on each ovary and excess hair, I have never had issues with my periods, they are always on time and I know when I'm ovulating each month, My obgyn put me on birth control stating she thought that would help me with my symptoms (only symptoms I had was excess hair and overweight) but after 4 months of taking it, I did not like the side effects, nor did it help my symptoms so I quit and now my periods are back to normal. So my question is how many women have normal periods and ovulating? I know there are complete different levels of PCOS. Sorry for the book, I was typing so fast hopefully it makes sense :)

I believe all it takes is a certain amount of symptoms to be diagnosed with PCOS. That being said, yes some ppl can have a diagnosis of PCOS while having regular periods. Also for you and others questioning just know yes there's chances to get pregnant, you may end up high risk. The insulin resistance issues became an issue for me, in both my pregnancies the further along I was. I wasn't able to manage the glucose levels with diet alone and ended up taking insulin around 30wks pregnant.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!