Tired, Sad, and Stressed - Willpower Question

Replies

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    kae612 wrote: »
    I'm dealing with a challenge today, so I'll pose it to the group. How do you exert willpower against easily accessible treats when you're tired, under-slept, sad, displeased with yourself, and stressed? What's your best non-food method of coping with these things?

I know that over time habit decides food choices. There is nothing inherently wrong with a donut in and of itself, but I would like to start creating healthier habits like distancing myself from junk foods.

Ive been logging a long time now. And have allowed myself that treat many times before.

What I found was that having had that donut, and then logged it, two things happened.
    1) I didnt really enjoy it that much, it didnt seem worth the calories.
    2) Later that day I had to pass up a much better treat because I didnt have the calories left.

Because of this, now when I see those treats on the table I just think about how Ill feel once Ive had it, and that generally puts me off!

• NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    I'm dealing with a challenge today, so I'll pose it to the group. How do you exert willpower against easily accessible treats when you're tired, under-slept, sad, displeased with yourself, and stressed? What's your best non-food method of coping with these things?

I know that over time habit decides food choices. There is nothing inherently wrong with a donut in and of itself, but I would like to start creating healthier habits like distancing myself from junk foods.

Your answer is in your question. Research shows that lack of SLEEP and STRESS cause your body to release hormones that keep you FAT. Before you think of doing ANYTHING else- make sure that you get a MINIMUM of 8 hrs sleep per night, relax and take care of yourSELF. After you have committed to doing that, everything else will fall into place.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I make room for those "temptations" in my daily calorie goal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    How do you exert willpower against easily accessible treats

This may sound incredibly obvious but...make them less accessible and less visible.

Out of sight, out of mind and all that ;)

Haha, yes I don't keep them in the house. But I mean eg. the Tim Hortons and Starbucks at my school. I pass them on my way to class, it's right across the hall from the library.

At your school? You mean there are fast food restaurants inside your school??
  • Jillianx115x
    Jillianx115x Posts: 41 Member
    Acceptance.

Accept your suffering and it becomes much more bearable. Struggling against suffering, which is a major part of life, is what creates anxiety and unhappiness.

Everything happens for a reason, accept it, and better things will come for you in the future.

Really? This doesn't make much sense or offer much actual literal advice. I don't think she wants to accept it. She wants to change it .
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Journaling, therapy, exercise, napping, watching an old favorite movie, reading... Those are all things that I turn to.

If I have a craving for something unhealthy, I won't deprive myself... I'll usually just either search for a portioned recipe: cookie for one, one cupcake - they exist!! or a healthier substitution... Baked donuts maybe? If I feel as though I *can't* have something, it makes me absolutely miserable. As time goes on, you'll have an easier time saying no or yes without feeling sorry, but for me it has been much easier to focus on limiting the quantity & making sure there's room in my diary to spare than to full on say "nope, can't have it"
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    When I was losing, I'd bring tiny portions of a healthier sweet treat from home, such as protein balls, teeny homemade cookies, protein bars (tons on recipes for these on MFP blog), etc. I'd divide into portions of about 70 calories. With tea or coffee (black), I'd feel like I was having a delicious treat that satisfied my urge for something big, unnecessary and would ruin my calorie allotment for the day.

Now that I'm maintaining, I still keep this habit of smaller, sweet bites when I need a midday treat. Even a quarter of a purchased protein bar can do the trick.

Plus, I'm cheap. I hate buying fast food, since my own cooking is so much more nutritious and, often, tastier. When I now bake scones, muffins or a loaf, they are also much smaller serving sizes than at Tim's or Starbucks. So, I save money and calories.

Good luck. Once you break the habit, you'll be fine. Keep your head in the game.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member

This may sound incredibly obvious but...make them less accessible and less visible.

Haha, yes I don't keep them in the house. But I mean eg. the Tim Hortons and Starbucks at my school. I pass them on my way to class, it's right across the hall from the library.

Yep. We have a hot dog stand, hero burger, two Chinese places, a bubble tea shop, subway, kfc, Starbucks & two Tim Hortons. Welcome to university. Brand marketing to weak students.

Your answer is in your question. Research shows that lack of SLEEP and STRESS cause your body to release hormones that keep you FAT. Before you think of doing ANYTHING else- make sure that you get a MINIMUM of 8 hrs sleep per night, relax and take care of yourSELF. After you have committed to doing that, everything else will fall into place.

Literally impossible. Not going to get 8h of sleep every night. Never going to be not stressed about assignments. Exercise sometimes means I sleep less but feel better. Taking care of myself & losing weight/being healthier are not mutually exclusive, they are part of the same goal. Being fat & inactive makes my body more stressed. Being stressed makes me fat & inactive. There's no entry point if I wait for things to be perfect.
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    Do you honestly never see yourself going to Starbucks again? Maybe try saying to yourself 'Not today, but Thursday'... allow yourself a day a week where you go to Starbucks or Tim Hortons and allow yourself that treat (adapt like make it a small or don't add sugar, or get only a small cookie etc). Really savour it and say to yourself that was nice, take some quiet time, sit, think (or not think but just experience the moment), be quiet in yourself and enjoy the coffee. Don't rush in and out and scoff the whole thing and feel bad.

The next day maybe sit in the Library and read for a while. The day after that go for a little walk somewhere nice and take in the surrounds. The next day maybe go and sit under a nice tree and have some time out. With every thing you do, savour the moment and recoup.

Take a moment or two in your day to be quiet, breathe, be in the moment rather than letting your thoughts take over. Sounds like you just need a little time out if you can find some time in your day (even 10 minutes).

Lol for sure, no way I'm never going there. I did make room for a small ice cap from tims today actually. But I did so after working out, and not first thing in the morning, and not accompanied by a donut. That's totally what I'm going for - deliberately choosing my treats vs "needing" them because I "feel bad."

Thanks again for all this awesome feedback!!! I'm really happy I worked out, I feel much more alive and less needy lol
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    the best thing I do, when I'm in the lunch room by myself and cupcakes are staring at me, is I head to the bathroom, lift up the shirt, self examine, and then go, we aren't there yet. and by the time I get back to the lunch room with cupcakes I am mentally reminded to not even bother because it is just setting me back from my goal. if I do happen to give in, I just remind myself that tomorrows work load is gonna be harder tougher and more intense to compensate.
  • MissZimmy
    MissZimmy Posts: 13 Member
    There are some fantastic ideas here. Here's one that I sometimes use - delay. I promise myself that if I am still desperately craving that food tomorrow I can have it. Usually by tomorrow, the feelings have gone away and I no longer feel like I NEED it, and there is the sense of accomplishment of not having caved. It stops the 'fix emotions with food' cycle, but doesn't ban the food, and allows for indulgence - which you can plan into your calorie count for the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

Literally impossible. Not going to get 8h of sleep every night. Never going to be not stressed about assignments. Exercise sometimes means I sleep less but feel better. Taking care of myself & losing weight/being healthier are not mutually exclusive, they are part of the same goal. Being fat & inactive makes my body more stressed. Being stressed makes me fat & inactive. There's no entry point if I wait for things to be perfect.

Actually, while 8 hours of sleep may not be achievable, I think @NewMEEE2016 has a good point. I believe you've mentioned sleep issues in other threads? How many hours are you getting per night?

My stress and munchie levels are ever so much more manageable when I get adequate sleep and regular exercise. On the rare occasions when I don't get enough sleep and am battling low-leptin / high-ghrelin fueled cravings, sometimes I give in and sometimes I use cognitive behavioral techniques to resist.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/sleep-obesity1.htm
    http://www.healthcentral.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-deprived-test-3057-143.html
    http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/getting/overcoming/tips
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member

Most universities I've encountered have food courts and other restaurants dotted about the campus.

• Machka9

Who gets a minimum of 8 hours of sleep per night?

I don't think I've done that since I was about 10 years old.

I'm thrilled if I get about 6 hours/night during the week ... I have a little bit of difficulty functioning on the 5 hours/night I've been getting lately ... and 8 hours/night on Friday and Saturday nights.

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Actually, while 8 hours of sleep may not be achievable, I think @NewMEEE2016 has a good point. I believe you've mentioned sleep issues in other threads? How many hours are you getting per night?

My stress and munchie levels are ever so much more manageable when I get adequate sleep and regular exercise. On the rare occasions when I don't get enough sleep and am battling low-leptin / high-ghrelin fueled cravings, sometimes I give in and sometimes I use cognitive behavioral techniques to resist.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/sleep-obesity1.htm
    http://www.healthcentral.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-deprived-test-3057-143.html
    http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/getting/overcoming/tips

It's not that I get eg 6h/night it's that often when I exercise or I'm stressed I don't sleep well. Or randomly out of the blue I'll have a bad night. It really throws me off when I'm tired because I don't want to do the bare minimum, let alone anything more. I do usually sleep ok like 7-9h per night depending on the night. But having bad nights is something that just happens sometimes, and I turn into a whiny baby and I just Don't Wanna lol.

Especially during school, I'll get stressed and have a few bad nights and then sleep better but continue to be stressed and then I eat all the things! It's a problem! But it's just a "part of living life as a human affected by things" problem that I need to deal with.

Also working out makes it LESS likely I'll get 8h that night, though it makes my energy level much better. So the suggestion of NOT working out UNTIL I got 8h of sleep/night was super unrealistic. Not that getting more sleep isn't a super important goal that I'm totally also working on! It's just that not doing something bc something else isn't spot on just wouldn't work for me.

Thanks for the links :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I preplan and prelog my meals, so if I want something like a donut, I have to figure out in advance how to make it fit into my day. I may often look at that day and realize I'm going to be hungry because I had to reduce other portions to make the donut fit.

At that point it's my choice whether I go ahead and plan for the donut, or skip it and be more full. Sometimes I have the donut. Usually I don't.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Yoga -- reduces stress and helps with body/mind awareness.
  • katiestenton
    katiestenton Posts: 28 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I preplan and prelog my meals, so if I want something like a donut, I have to figure out in advance how to make it fit into my day. I may often look at that day and realize I'm going to be hungry because I had to reduce other portions to make the donut fit.

At that point it's my choice whether I go ahead and plan for the donut, or skip it and be more full. Sometimes I have the donut. Usually I don't.

Preplanning/prelogging makes such a difference doesn't it! I find it somewhat comforting knowing exactly when and what i'm gonna eat and leaves less room for slip ups
  • NewMEEE2016
    Machka9 wrote: »

I'm thrilled if I get about 6 hours/night during the week ... I have a little bit of difficulty functioning on the 5 hours/night I've been getting lately ... and 8 hours/night on Friday and Saturday nights.

You could say the same of ANY of the things we need to be doing in order to become fitter. "Who eats 1400 calories a day"? "Who drinks a minimum of 8 cups of water?" "Who has time to go to the gym"? "Who logs everything they eat"?

Who does all these things? People who are committed to becoming as fit and healthy as possible do! Same goes for SLEEP. Research shows that getting enough sleep is absolutely essential to those trying to lose weight. We need to make OURSELVES and our health a priority. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3065172/
  • Machka9

You could say the same of ANY of the things we need to be doing in order to become fitter. "Who eats 1400 calories a day"? "Who drinks a minimum of 8 cups of water?" "Who has time to go to the gym"? "Who logs everything they eat"?

Who does all these things? People who are committed to becoming as fit and healthy as possible do! Same goes for SLEEP. Research shows that getting enough sleep is absolutely essential to those trying to lose weight. We need to make OURSELVES and our health a priority. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3065172/

Well ... I've managed to lose my weight without all that much in the way of sleep. In fact, I've lost more during the times when I've been under stress, under pressure, and well under the recommended amount of sleep.

I suspect that's because during the periods of time when I do have time for, say, 7 hours of sleep a night, I've also got a bit more time to eat. :grin:

• NewMEEE2016

Well ... I've managed to lose my weight without all that much in the way of sleep. In fact, I've lost more during the times when I've been under stress, under pressure, and well under the recommended amount of sleep.

I suspect that's because during the periods of time when I do have time for, say, 7 hours of sleep a night, I've also got a bit more time to eat. :grin:
    My experience has been just the opposite. Last year I was working a volunteer position that was **extremely** stressful and time-consuming. I got very little sleep and was so busy most days that I forgot to eat- would often have just a couple of yogurts throughout the day. Certainly didn't have time to shop for healthy food or cook. Since I have stopped doing that work and decided to make myself my priority, I am eating much more food and sleeping more and smelling the roses. And the pounds are coming off- *easily*- for the first time in my life. 31 lbs since Jan 1st! :) (I am purposely losing *very* slowly now in an effort to avoid saggy skin).

In any case- If your hectic lifestyle is working for you, that's great. It's obviously not working for the OP. My advice was to her- and it certainly could not hurt for her to start nurturing herself. Sleep is just one element.