People who don't get it but think they do.

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Literally everyone here is getting super hung up on whether I off-handedly mention that I'm paying attention to my food in-take and exercise regimen to the people around me like it's some kind of crime because you all got on a high horse in the beginning and you're too proud of yourselves to get down. Chill.

You made a thread because you don't like people commenting on you 'paying attention to your food in take' and yet you're bashing everyonr for suggesting you DON'T give people something to comment on....

:huh: :noway:

Never change MFP
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Literally everyone here is getting super hung up on whether I off-handedly mention that I'm paying attention to my food in-take and exercise regimen to the people around me like it's some kind of crime because you all got on a high horse in the beginning and you're too proud of yourselves to get down. Chill.

You made a thread because you don't like people commenting on you 'paying attention to your food in take' and yet you're bashing everyonr for suggesting you DON'T give people something to comment on....

Never change MFP

This thread needs a good kitteh gif to really finish it off
  • SomeShenanigans
    SomeShenanigans Posts: 27 Member
    Options

No it's fine if everyone continues to comment these things. I do wish they would let me ignore them instead of continuously quoting my replies to decent people who actually comprehended the original post.

I don't think this particular forum got the memo that trolling stopped being cool in 2012.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Never change MFP
    Logic and reason have no place here!
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options
    Amym26 wrote: »
    I got this a lot when I was losing weight. I didn't talk about my goals, weight loss, etc. But I lost close to 80 pounds, so people noticed. And I often got lots of comments on what I ate, didn't eat, my weight (what they thought my goal should be! ) Most people really have no clue what a healthy diet is, how many calories are in the foods they eat, nor what a healthy body weight looks like. More often any comments others make, is really just about themselves, and what they need to tell themselves to feel better. Very little actually has to do with you.

I agree with that-- that's entirely what it is. It would definitely be nice if they would step back and realize that, but self-awareness is probably too much to ask of the general population.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love it when a thread doesn't go as planned then butthurt happens.

Either lose weight in a healthy way, or whine and talk less to people about it, or stop giving an F about reactions when you don't. Problem solved.
  • SomeShenanigans
    Options
    Again, reiterating that you all didn't get the memo that trolling stopped being cool in 2012.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Amym26 wrote: »
    I got this a lot when I was losing weight. I didn't talk about my goals, weight loss, etc. But I lost close to 80 pounds, so people noticed. And I often got lots of comments on what I ate, didn't eat, my weight (what they thought my goal should be! ) Most people really have no clue what a healthy diet is, how many calories are in the foods they eat, nor what a healthy body weight looks like. More often any comments others make, is really just about themselves, and what they need to tell themselves to feel better. Very little actually has to do with you.

I agree with that-- that's entirely what it is. It would definitely be nice if they would step back and realize that, but self-awareness is probably too much to ask of the general population.

Pot and kettle.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Options
    It's not trolling.
    You need to just be more open minded and accept that your thought isn't the only thought.
    I've never had any of my friends ask me anything about what I ate, how much I ate, etc.
    Because I don't bring it up to them. I don't bring it up to anyone.
    In return, no one brings it up to me.

If you would stop bringing it up, then people would stop making comments you don't want to hear.
    Welcome to life, where there are other opinions.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Again, reiterating that you all didn't get the memo that trolling stopped being cool in 2012.

What's a troll?
  • Acacia_Evers
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

What's a troll?
    Something that lives under a bridge and collects a hefty toll if you have goats.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Someone that eats more than 700-1200 calories.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options

I know I know, everyone that doesn't tell you what you wanted or expected to hear is a troll. We're used to it here on MFP.
  • SomeShenanigans
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you for all the recycled garbage comments about proper communication etiquette, everyone. Remember to talk to someone using your actual face instead of just harassing strangers on an internet forum today!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the recycled garbage comments about proper communication etiquette, everyone. Remember to talk to someone using your actual face instead of just harassing strangers on an internet forum today!

:laugh:
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options

Aww, was someone harassing you? How rude! Lemme at 'em!
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I totally hear you. I'm dreading being around my family in a couple of weeks because they know I'm watching my intake and are bound to scrutinize and verbalize. Because I'm a well socialized human person I do actually care about what other people think, and am disproportionately affected by my family's opinions. I'm trying to think of a game plan for the event, in case it comes up.

I might go with the cutsie, "you plant your peas over there, I'll plant my corn over here," or the straightforward, "look, I've got this. My weight loss journey is personal and private and I don't really want to talk about it," or maybe just go all zen and take the emotion out of any reaction I might have and answer literally, honestly, and briefly. Are you eating enough? Yes, trust me. Is that on your diet? Yes, trust me. Should you be eating that? Yes, trust me. Do you want any pizza? No, trust me.

Let me know what works for you. Handling butt-in-skies is a challenge I'm still working on. And I'm, like, old.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options

And I love the fact you wont tell the actual people in your life to get bent when they speak up, but you put on your big girls pants for the internet ones. Nicely done.
This discussion has been closed.