Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat Eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    My diet is vegan. (Specifically hclf vegan.) Why?
    It cured my anemia. I lost 25+ pounds. I'm getting more protein than I did when I ate meat.
    I'm achieving more nutrient goals than before. In fact, I didn't have to take prenatal pills during my pregnancy because I was getting everything I needed just from eating. My energy levels are through the roof.
    And my favorite reason...I can eat as much of anything that I'd like...given that I'm eating hclf. In fact, I was eating 2500-3000 calories when I lost the weight (and exercising sporadically at best). Pasta, sushi, fruit, burritos, curry, smoothies, ice cream...I love it.

Ice cream isn't vegan. Did you mean some type of faux ice cream?

There are tons of commercial vegan ice creams available now. Even Ben and Jerry's has some.

So ... yes, faux ice cream.

Wikipedia says that ice cream is "usually" made with dairy. It doesn't list it as a requirement.

I think you're just looking for an excuse to label vegan options as "faux food." So have fun with that.

No, not faux food, faux ice cream. Like turkey bacon is faux bacon or tofurkey is faux turkey, but both are food.

I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree that ice cream can only be made with dairy products or that it makes sense to correct a vegan who says they eat "ice cream" due to an expectation that s/he should write "faux ice cream" instead.

Made sense to me. I thought perhaps she meant vegetarian instead of vegan.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Eat lots of meats, pretty much all lean meats, but meats of all kinds. Split my protein and carbs and then low fat.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    It cured my anemia. I lost 25+ pounds. I'm getting more protein than I did when I ate meat.
    I'm achieving more nutrient goals than before. In fact, I didn't have to take prenatal pills during my pregnancy because I was getting everything I needed just from eating. My energy levels are through the roof.
    And my favorite reason...I can eat as much of anything that I'd like...given that I'm eating hclf. In fact, I was eating 2500-3000 calories when I lost the weight (and exercising sporadically at best). Pasta, sushi, fruit, burritos, curry, smoothies, ice cream...I love it.

There are tons of commercial vegan ice creams available now. Even Ben and Jerry's has some.

Wikipedia says that ice cream is "usually" made with dairy. It doesn't list it as a requirement.

I think you're just looking for an excuse to label vegan options as "faux food." So have fun with that.

No, not faux food, faux ice cream. Like turkey bacon is faux bacon or tofurkey is faux turkey, but both are food.

I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree that ice cream can only be made with dairy products or that it makes sense to correct a vegan who says they eat "ice cream" due to an expectation that s/he should write "faux ice cream" instead.

Exactly- if someone claiming to be vegan talks about eating ice cream it is reasonable to ask if they mean faux ice cream (nondairy frozen dessert, lol) or if they meant they are vegetarian...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Exactly- if someone claiming to be vegan talks about eating ice cream it is reasonable to ask if they mean faux ice cream (nondairy frozen dessert, lol) or if they meant they are vegetarian...

I understand that someone who feels the impulse to "lol" at vegan food would also want to make sure it was called out as "faux ice cream."

Not sure why you insist on making this some sort of slam again vegans. You can't change my intent but if you feel it's necessary to try, then have at it. I hope it brings some sort of peace or satisfaction.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2016

I understand that someone who feels the impulse to "lol" at vegan food would also want to make sure it was called out as "faux ice cream."

Not sure why you insist on making this some sort of slam again vegans. You can't change my intent but if you feel it's necessary to try, then have at it. I hope it brings some sort of peace or satisfaction.

You never wrote "lol" (that I saw), so I'm not sure why you think that comment was directed at you. I wasn't addressing your intent and your passive-aggressive remarks about peace or satisfaction are completely unnecessary.

You already explained that you corrected the person who wrote "ice cream" because you thought perhaps that they were calling themselves a vegan when they were really a vegetarian and you felt it should be addressed. I have no reason to doubt that is true, although I'm still unsure why you feel the term "ice cream" should be defended against supposed vegan appropriation. Whatever. People's minds work in different ways.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

I "lol'ed" at "nondairy frozen dessert". Not because it's vegan, but because it reminds me of The Simpsons where they talk about Krusty's partially gelatinated non-dairy gum-based beverages (and when Karl, I think it was Karl, pointed out that they were called "shakes" outside of Springfield, they were all disgusted - "you don't even know what they're putting in there").

Not a slam on vegans, I just found the name funny.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    I'm a total carnivore meat eater. But I do enjoy my vegetables and fruit. To me it's all of balance if you overindulge in any one thing it could lead to issues down the road. I know guys who are vegetarian and they have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I work with a whole bunch of skinny guys who have diabetes and hypertension and high cholesterol. A lot of it has to do with your genetics and how your body processes certain foods so yes there is some common sense but some of it you just can't avoid.

Unfortunately now these days a lot of these research studies are politically motivated for one agenda or the other. We've all heard stories where something is bad for us for years and then another study just as comprehensive contradicts the first one. In the eighties there was a preservative that they put on apples called alair. Person after person got up in front of Congress and testified how bad this stuff was so Congress in their wisdom banned it. A couple years later they found out has no harmful effects it was just a celebrity political cause that they will jump on.

Plus if we weren't meant to eat meat we would have never invented barbecue grills.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited May 2016
    I eat a lot of meat. I don't pay any attention to lean versus fatty.
    When I cut carbs way down, my cholesterol numbers plummeted. Tri's dropped over 75% in a couple years. Posted the best cholesterol numbers at my physical that my doctor has seen for me. No more talk of lipid drugs.
    I could never be a vegan. That is just far too extreme.
    Vegetarian? No way. Veggie burgers are awful. Besides, the brain needs fat to function properly. And bacon is just too awesome.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I eat a lot of meat. I don't pay any attention to lean versus fatty.
    When I cut carbs way down, my cholesterol numbers plummeted. Tri's dropped over 75% in a couple years. Posted the best cholesterol numbers at my physical that my doctor has seen for me. No more talk of lipid drugs.
    I could never be a vegan. That is just far too extreme.
    Vegetarian? No way. Veggie burgers are awful. Besides, the brain needs fat to function properly. And bacon is just too awesome.

The brain does need fat to function. Fortunately, there are many, many, many plant sources of fat.
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    22 years old and i'm a vegetarian for 5 years i don't eat eggs but i eat egg products like whey protein , baked stuff etc and diary my diet is plant based i try to keep the proceed stuff including bread , pasta etc to a minimum not because its bad or anything but because that's how it should as i see a lot of vegetarians staking up on whole grains and pasta for the bulk of the calories which is pretty bad in my opinion . never had any issues with getting enough protein thanks to cottage cheese , milk and whey .. best decision i have ever made .. all meats were actually slowing me down athletically when i became vegetarian i became much faster and stronger even bigger when i;m bulking because of the healthy extra carbs
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    iona_ellen wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have friends who eat meat,, vegetarian & vegans. Doing a web search there is lots of sites with different views of which is overall healthier. What's your view? And from the nutrition side why did you choose this way?
    Remember we're fitness 'pals' so stay friendly:D!

All 3 can be done in a healthy or an unhealthy manner. There is no black and white answer to which one is healthy and which one is not.

For me, I minimize my consumption of red meat, shellfish, and cereal because I try to minimize my iron intake, but I don't really put other restrictions on what I eat.
  • GAlove05
    GAlove05 Posts: 28 Member
    I have been following a plant based diet... Slowly weaning off of meat to become vegan. My father had colon cancer and so has my mother in law. Her doctor said to stop eating red meat, that it has been proven to cause colon cancer. I feel going vegan is the best for me.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member

Not sure about other countries, but at least in the US, that would not be "ice cream". It would be a "non-dairy frozen desert". To be called "ice cream", a product must use milk and contain a certain amount of milk solids and fat. Some products which still have milk but cut back on the cream to save costs or make diet deserts are called "frozen dairy desert". Although colloquially, all of these products would be still be called ice cream.

bqpmkqq69cll.jpg

that ice cream is the best ever i need to get me some more this weekend, mmmm vegan ice cream

gxdc2kedeo0a.gif

• danaanne5
    danaanne5 Posts: 10 Member
    I say, "Who cares what it's called!" It sure is good! I had a So Delicious "ice cream" sandwich/non-dairy frozen dessert for my snack tonight!

406coumdyvaf.jpg
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Def meat
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    So Delicious is really good, although I like the coconut milk kind more than the cashew milk.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So Delicious is really good, although I like the coconut milk kind more than the cashew milk.

Larry & Luna's Coconut bliss bars are good too
  • gigmaster
    gigmaster Posts: 20 Member
    edited May 2016
    Why do you have to be one or the other? I eat veggies a lot, not because of any particular philosophy, but just because I like them. I also make imitation hamburger meat, hot dogs, etc... I can eat more of veggie stuff for the same amount of calories as meat, and it sets better on my stomach, most of the time. But I also eat meat from time to time, and I love fish (and fishing). I also like eggs, and cheese (although cheese has like a million calories per bite, so I try to restrain myself as much as possible). Humans are omnivores by nature, so why limit yourself?