Best Donuts

Replies

• scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Ws2016 wrote: »

That one in the upper left - is it German Chocolate???
    That one is Samoa!

@scastor27

Not familiar with Big Daddy's? Where are they located?

LOVE LOVE LOVE Peace Love and Little Donuts. Expensive but well worth it.
    Big Daddy's is in Crafton. I don't get there too often but dang their glazed cinnamon swirl donut is the bomb.
    At PL&LD there is no way I could ever pick just one.

See that donut bottom right? The one with the mini marshmallows? Well that one's mine and I've licked it. OK?

But can we share?! That's the smores one and it is so good.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The best donuts are Tim Horton's donuts.

All the others are ... just ... simply ... not Tim Horton's donuts.

Thankfully, I'm half a world away from Tim Horton's donuts in Australia where they do not do donuts at all well. The donuts here aren't even remotely tempting.

really? Tim horton's in Canada's donuts are horrible. They used to be good when they baked them in store but now they are frozen which sucks

Tim Horton's donuts are the best. :)

The donuts I've eaten in the US, including the Krispie Kremes which are making inroads into Australia (you'll find them at airports) are way too sweet and/or greasy. Duncan Donuts were particularly greasy ... might as well just stuff a block of lard into your mouth. And the Krispie Kremes are tolerable, but so incredibly sickly sweet. As I look through the photos here, most of the donuts shown look so incredibly sickly sweet, all stacked with icing and other stuff ... ick.

The donuts I've eating in Australia tend to be dry and flavourless.

About the only donuts I've come across which are comparable to Tim Hortons were at a shop in Japan. They were pretty good too. :)

• ctoavs76
    ctoavs76 Posts: 30 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    The best donuts here in Boston/Cambridge are from Union Square Donuts.

DONUTS0615-union-square-donuts.jpg?itok=5TZcD_ww

They also have vegan options. My run group has started and finished there a few times.

They also have a sea salt bourbon caramel donut that isn't vegan, but is delicious and I enjoy shoving it in my face:

UnionSquareBourbonDonut.jpg

We also have a local chain in Quincy that I've never tried their donuts, but I do laugh at their name: Donut & Donuts. If you want one donut...they are your jam. If you want more than one donut....just know they can also help you out.

qdonuts.jpg

Holy moly! Looks like I may have to skip Kane's next time I go visit my aunt, and hit up Union Square Donuts instead. Or I could just visit both.
  • Machka9
    edited May 2016
    auddii wrote: »
    I was going to say that this thread doesn't have enough pics, and then I realized that I misposted this morning. I meant I like sour cream donuts, not cream cheese. Clearly should step away from the keyboard before coffee...

4-doughnuts.jpg

Of all the donuts in pictures in this thread ... this looks the most appealing. Much like Tim Hortons sour cream glazed donuts, which are pretty good. Definitely in my Top 5. :)

The rest of the pictures of donuts here have WAY WAY too much goo, and bits and pieces, and other stuff all over them. Just not appealing at all.

• Machka9
    edited May 2016
    Tim Horton's Honey Crullers are also in my Top 5 favourite donuts. :)
    (But not the honey dip, I'm not fond of them)

91524a6dbc0feb829dccb62dd376354e.jpg

Rounding out the Top 5 would be:

-- Apple Fritters
    -- Chocolate Glazed
    -- and used to be Walnut Crunch, but sadly, they've gotten rid of those.

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited May 2016
    This may not look as enticing as many of the other pictures, but this is apple cider and cider donuts from one of the four apple orchards in my town in southern New Hampshire, two of which press their own cider, one of which has a bakery and bakes fresh cider donuts every couple of days. Both orchards update Facebook when they do, so I drive a mile away and get the donuts right out of the oven, bring them home with the freshly pressed cider and heat up the cider and dip the donuts in the hot cider and consider myself well donut-satisfied. :)

I am also quite the commoner and love my Dunkin' Boston creme donuts. And during the fall they had a cookie dough cronut that was heaven.

vvt7nawmt2oa.jpg

• Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    scastor27 wrote: »
    Ws2016 wrote: »

That one in the upper left - is it German Chocolate???
    That one is Samoa!

@scastor27

Not familiar with Big Daddy's? Where are they located?

LOVE LOVE LOVE Peace Love and Little Donuts. Expensive but well worth it.
    Big Daddy's is in Crafton. I don't get there too often but dang their glazed cinnamon swirl donut is the bomb.
    At PL&LD there is no way I could ever pick just one.

I live South so not an area I go to, but will definitely keep it in mind :)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I HAVE LIVED IN BOSTON FOR TEN YEARS. WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT KANE'S OR UNION SQUARE DONUTS?

You're trying to keep them for yourselves and not let the English chick find out about them aren't you? And I want one of those sea-salt bourbon caramel ones right now.
  • FrankieFrench1
    FrankieFrench1 Posts: 289 Member
    A joint near me does a kinder doughnut. It's pretty much God tier and I've being in a relationship with it for about 3 month 8i43e4gzrikf.jpg
  • Machka9
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    This may not look as enticing as many of the other pictures, but this is apple cider and cider donuts from one of the four apple orchards in my town in southern New Hampshire, two of which press their own cider, one of which has a bakery and bakes fresh cider donuts every couple of days. Both orchards update Facebook when they do, so I drive a mile away and get the donuts right out of the oven, bring them home with the freshly pressed cider and heat up the cider and dip the donuts in the hot cider and consider myself well donut-satisfied. :)

vvt7nawmt2oa.jpg

To me, that's so much more appealing that the others here with globs of whatever all over them. :) In fact, those actually sound really nice.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    This needs a bump today.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    A joint near me does a kinder doughnut. It's pretty much God tier and I've being in a relationship with it for about 3 month 8i43e4gzrikf.jpg
    What is that? :o

• keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Dreaming of a Casey's donut. Best donuts around and its from a convenience store. On my cheat meal/day, I always make a run to their donuts!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Federal donuts in Philly....and they have fried chicken. Talk about an amazingly delightful calorie bomb.

Yup, I was gonna vote for federal donuts too along with Wawa and dunkin donuts.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I will jump on the "fresh-from-the-oven Krispy Kreme" train. Simple and perfect. Only the squishy plain glazed ones, not their others. I like fancy flavors a lot, am pretty foody, but Fancy Donuts can't compete, for me, with the utter perfection of those simple glazed hot pillows of goodness.

Beignets, now. Beignets can compete with the Krispy Kreme donuts, and win. Powdered sugar, not such sweet dough, better crust. But those aren't common where I am.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Fresh Krispy Kremes with chocolate frosting... thank god there isn't one in NH, or this weight loss thing wouldn't be working out! :wink:

I'm usually a Dunkin Donuts girl myself. I LOVE their jelly donuts.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited May 2016
    Top Pot or Frost donuts are really good, but generally have 2 to 3 times as many calories as their DD or KK comparables. :| Found that out the hard way after eating 1000 calories in two donuts. Heh.

Back in Indy, it is Long's, hands down.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Top Pot or Frost donuts are really good, but generally have 2 to 3 times as many calories as their DD or KK comparables. :| Found that out the hard way after eating 1000 calories in two donuts. Heh.

Back in Indy, it is Long's, hands down.

I was introduced to Top Pot on a business trip to Seattle - now every time I go I can't leave without going to Top Pot and picking up Chukar Cherries. It's only a few times a year so I don't worry about the calories.

Duck Donuts (there's one near my boyfriend's house) is good...but I only like the glazed one.

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Local chain used to be Tastee Donuts (closed up when I was a teen, one standalone has opened back up).. now it's Joe's and "Coffee &" insaaaaane good donuts..

Krispy Kreme is good if they're hot and if there's no other donut source within driving distance IMHO lol
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    edited May 2016
    robininfl wrote: »
    Beignets, now. Beignets can compete with the Krispy Kreme donuts, and win. Powdered sugar, not such sweet dough, better crust. But those aren't common where I am.

Yes. Truth. Cafe Du Monde rocks my socks lol order of beignets and a cafe au lait :p<3