What's the biggest weight-loss lie you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    "Cleanse" those "toxins" from your body! That's why you're fat!

...never mind that evolution/God/whatever gave you a liver and kidneys to filter out toxins...we can't make money off that!
  • frammis4242
    frammis4242 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    anything freelee says https://youtu.be/7mYjABvd6fc?t=1m35s
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    LOL. Thank you to everyone that responded regarding eating small meals boosting metabolism actually being a myth before I had a chance to read it and respond myself. Great responses!

Meal timing really does not matter. I've done small meals and I've done big meals; neither one had an impact on my weight loss whatsoever. Bigger meals work better for me because I don't live the type of lifestyle that enables me to have several small meals every few hours. I'm not going to eat a 250 to 300 calorie breakfast when I have things to do all day long. The other day I had a 1000 calorie breakfast because I knew I wasn't going to be able to sit down to eat again until 5:00 that evening. I needed the energy to get through my day and it worked like a charm. It has nothing to do with my macros being off, my body not processing things right, etc. It has to do with everyone have different bodies, different caloric needs, and different levels of activity.

I know we want to believe we can "boost" our metabolism, but no meal timing, shake, pill, spice, or anything of the sort is going to do that. If so, the world would be doing it and nobody would be obese.
  • highwood1968
    highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The fruit thing bugs me the most...I have heard over and over people saying well my trainer told me to not eat too many bananas, etc. because of the fruit...and it is like seriously...I doubt anyone overweight can honestly say the reason they are over weight is because of fruit. I know for myself it is not fruit that is the reason why I am 40 pounds overweight it is the chips, fast food, candies, etc. I should add in my case it is excessive junk food eating at times...I believe everything in moderation:)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    mypi wrote: »
    Eating every 3 hours will help to lose weight

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

It's not a myth. The more frequent you eat in smaller portions the more you're keeping your metabolism going and keeping your body from storing anything.

If it's not a myth, then how do people who do IF experience so much success?

Because they are eating at a calorie deficit. How are the people doing CICO with no meal timing so successful?

Right..that was the point I was trying to make in my previous post.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

It's not a myth. The more frequent you eat in smaller portions the more you're keeping your metabolism going and keeping your body from storing anything.

Because they are eating at a calorie deficit. How are the people doing CICO with no meal timing so successful?

My bad then. Read it again and still don't quite get it that way - must have had too much broccoli for lunch!
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    oh oh oh and I forgot in my earlier post:

That red meat gets stuck in your intestines and you never expel it. Another reason to cleanse!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

My bad then. Read it again and still don't quite get it that way - must have had too much broccoli for lunch!

No worries. :smile: If you're like me, it's one of those weeks where the weekend can't come soon enough!

gn6gacw2czg6.jpg
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit.
    /end discussion.

Timing has no impact.. the metabolism runs 24/7... no stops.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit.
    /end discussion.

Timing has no impact.. the metabolism runs 24/7... no stops.

As established above, that was the EXACT point the poster was trying to make. If several small meals are the way to go, how could people with IF possibly be successful with regard to weight loss unless meal timing WAS actually a myth..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of twisted truths and helpful tips put forth as requirements, but really the only lie I think I've heard when it comes to dieting is 'calories don't matter'.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Fat cannot make you fat, as your body does not know how to add fat from fat

1zqvBv7.gif
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    "You can eat a little of anything you want."

Only works if you have extreme discipline and can eat in moderation. Said to me by people who needed to lose weight far more than I did. I could never lose weight with that approach.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It took me years to realize that eating 6 small meals a day was BS. I naturally fast for long periods of time and then eat 1 big meal and a few snacks. Works for me and help me lose a lot of weight. Wonder of wonders its a thing. IF is the way to go for me :D
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    You can only eat boring food when on a diet.

I get that a lot and nothing I eat I find boring.

I do find it easier to stick to the same foods. Streamlines the approach and with variety I overeat.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I saw a news show item once where some expert said you shouldn't eat a carb and a protein at the same time because it was too much for the body to process and would be stored as fat.