Compliment or Criticism...?

Options

Replies

• stickkop
    stickkop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about responding as follows to those who comment on the weight I lost - Say something like - yes I lost the weight, I am sorry you found it, no need to return it. Or if they ask how much you have lost - say less than you gained.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen before. I've also been told that I need to stop lifting weights because "guys don't find that attractive", right after that same person said that people shouldn't put as much importance on what others think of them... If I remember correctly, they were saying that because they were "a little chubby" (their words, not mine) and they'd rather "keep drinking wine than lose weight".

I feel like all sorts of comments about others bodies tend to come from some kind of insecurity within themselves. Of course, you may get the person who's genuinely concerned, but for the most part, success of any sort is often met with backhanded compliments due to insecurities.

This is my personal pet peev too. My body is not solely created for the male gaze. I do the fitness I do because I enjoy it and I do not give a flying *kitten* if they find it attractive or not.

I also agree that usually comments on other's bodies are stemmed from a person's insecurities. Remind yourself that it is about them and not you and be proud of yourself for your fantastic accomplishment.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    trinairby wrote: »
    It's so weird to me how people will tell you that you are too skinny, but not tell you that you're overweight. Both are rude...
    Being told your fat (to me) would compound the hurt that got you there. Being told that your skinny (again to me) is just a minor display of ignorance. One I feel I can easily forgive.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    My husband lost 65 pounds in 9 1/2 months last year and the world.. I mean the entire world including his grown daughters that do not see him but a couple of time a years all asked "you lost weight, are you sick"?? or "you lost weigh are you sure everything is ok in life?"

I have....THREE separate times....complimented (I thought) someone on their obvious weight loss only to find out that they HAVE been sick, or depressed. And that's worse! So I've learned. Now I just tell someone "you look great." If they've been working to lose weight, they know what I mean. If they've been sick, it still sounds like a compliment.

The best comment I received came from an older woman in my church. She sits behind me and asked, "Have you been trying to lose weight?" When I answered, "Yes I have," she then said what a great job I've been doing and that I looked great. We've have a lot of people who have or have had cancer. Some have died. I think she did an excellent job of opening up the topic. If I had been sick or had cancer, she'd have felt horrible for telling me how great I was doing.

That's how people tend to approach the subject with me. I still get told I don't need to lose anymore weight, but I know I do. I even stared telling people I've stopped losing weight just so they couldn't comment. Silly I know.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    When people ask me about my weight, I just ask if it's my turn to comment on their weight now. Gets a good deer in the headlight look going...

^This is great!
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    It's so weird to me how people will tell you that you are too skinny, but not tell you that you're overweight. Both are rude...
    Being told your fat (to me) would compound the hurt that got you there. Being told that your skinny (again to me) is just a minor display of ignorance. One I feel I can easily forgive.

Agreed, but they are still both rude and unnecessary comments.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »

The best comment I received came from an older woman in my church. She sits behind me and asked, "Have you been trying to lose weight?" When I answered, "Yes I have," she then said what a great job I've been doing and that I looked great. We've have a lot of people who have or have had cancer. Some have died. I think she did an excellent job of opening up the topic. If I had been sick or had cancer, she'd have felt horrible for telling me how great I was doing.

I think that's an excellent way of approaching it. I personally have a rule that I won't comment on someone's weight at all unless they have already mentioned or talked about trying to lose. Often people who are open to compliments will be open about their weight loss efforts on some level. Otherwise, if they don't say anything, I don't say anything. It's not up to me to comment on something so personal just because it's so visible, unless I really feel close to somebody.
  • Dove0804
    Options
    There's another thread on here asking "why hasn't anyone noticed I've lost 10lbs (or something)?"

Humans confuse me sometimes, must be easier being a bear, just growl at humans, scaring them, and spend the day looking for food.

Maybe you saw a different thread than me, but the ones I've seen was one asking when other peoples' weight loss started becoming noticeable, and another thread where someone was a bit down for not being able to see/feel a difference after 25 lbs lost. I hope you're not exaggerating to make fun of others...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    There's another thread on here asking "why hasn't anyone noticed I've lost 10lbs (or something)?"

Humans confuse me sometimes, must be easier being a bear, just growl at humans, scaring them, and spend the day looking for food.

Maybe you saw a different thread than me, but the ones I've seen was one asking when other peoples' weight loss started becoming noticeable, and another thread where someone was a bit down for not being able to see/feel a difference after 25 lbs lost. I hope you're not exaggerating to make fun of others...

This was an actual thread. I'm to lazy to look it up, but it's in the general forum.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    It's all about perspective and what people are used to seeing.

So much this! A friend of mine and I are within an inch of each other in height and nearly the same weight (within 5lbs). I've lost 110lbs already and would like to lose 50 more. But she thinks I'm good where I am (but she still wants to lose 30lbs). She thinks my body looks different. I think it's because I look drastically different than I used to. If someone meet me now, they wouldn't think I looked thin. For most people, I take it in stride, smile, say thank you and change the subject.

• _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Pipsg1rl wrote: »

When they tell you not to lose any more weight, you can always tell them you are actually working on gains! Muscle gains, strength gains, mental health gains, etc.

I love this!

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Pipsg1rl wrote: »

When they tell you not to lose any more weight, you can always tell them you are actually working on gains! Muscle gains, strength gains, mental health gains, etc.

I love this!

Thanks!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

He is talking about the "I lost 13 lbs since January and nobody has noticed" thread in particular. Good to know the Exaggeration Cop is on the beat and keeping an eye on things--you'll find a lot to keep you busy.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'd love to get this comment whether it was mean-spirited or not!!! = D
  • Dove0804
    Options

He is talking about the "I lost 13 lbs since January and nobody has noticed" thread in particular. Good to know the Exaggeration Cop is on the beat and keeping an eye on things--you'll find a lot to keep you busy.

Oh please don't be that way! As I said "maybe you saw a different thread than me", and he did! Thanks for clarifying. I am quickly realizing there's a lot going on here at MFP, with lots of threads with similar themes going at the same time.