Did you get fat as a kid?

Options
If so, why?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never overweight until my mid-20s.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes. My disabled mom raised me alone. Her medication and habits caused weight gain. I learned from her. Most of my childhood was spent sedentary and snacking. I don't think I've ever been within the normal weight range.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ever a skinny kid, but not really fat either. I was always tall for my age, and pretty athletic, but I didn't really start to put on enough weight to be fat until my late teens and early twenties.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No, I was in great shape until I stopped being active and started having fast food 5+ times per day.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It started after I had a seizure due to an ear infection in kindergarten. According to my siblings, my parents became very paranoid after that and didn't let me run around and play.

Even if that didn't happen, it would have happened later on. The family diet was never great, there used to be pictures of me with a bottle full of soda. Even now, me, my brother, and my dad are the only ones in the immediate family that aren't at least overweight. I never noticed any weight problems in my brother, I lost weight in my twenties, and the only reason my dad lost anything is because of an illness.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Puberty hit me hard. I was actually very thin as a child. By the time I graduated high school, I weighed 200 pounds.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Almost 9 pounds at birth (my brother was 11+!), raised by parents who didn't quite teach proper nutrition, started binge eating around 10 or 11...yep.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    No. I was never skinny but I was fit. I used to maintain my weight easily with sporadic work outs and eating whatever I wanted. I developed thyroid issues and got pregnant with my son around the same time and ended up gaining almost 90lb in 7 months.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I thought I was fat but looking back I was actually in a healthy weight range. My younger sisters were extremely skinny as kids so I think maybe it made me feel bigger? I remember feeling fat as far back as 3rd grade but it was clearly in my head. By high school I quit all the sports I played as a child and then did gain a lot of weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Did you get fat as a kid?

Nope. Not at all. Not even close. I was a skinny kid ... all legs.

I edged out of my normal BMI range, into the overweight range, for the first time when I was in my early 20s, for probably about 6 months ... major surgery, recovery, and then a move to another province ... not paying attention to what I was eating and not getting enough exercise. Stepped on the scale, realised I was overweight, and promptly set about losing it.

I edged out my normal BMI range again in my early 40s, for somewhere around a year ... DVT that hospitalised me for 2 weeks, recovery, and a move to a different country ... not paying attention to what I was eating and not getting enough exercise. Wanted to do a cycling climbing challenge (7 Peaks Challenge), knew I needed to lose some weight for that ... and did.

And most recently, in my late 40s, I stepped out of my normal BMI range and hit my highest weight ever in January 2015 ... two surgeries, recovery, travel, move to a different state ... not paying attention to what I was eating and not getting enough exercise. Stepped on the scale in January 2015, after the second surgery and couldn't believe my eyes. So I joined MFP in February 2015, and lost the weight. I'm back down to the bottom end of my normal BMI range again. :)

(EDIT: My mother was a nurse, so she had some education regarding nutrition and kept us on a fairly strict diet. Not restrictive -- we got enough to eat -- but set meal times, a protein (eggs, meat, cheese) and veggies at lunch and dinner, fruit for evening snack, 1 cookie and a glass of milk after school, deserts only on weekends, and things like that.)

• FromHadesWithLove
    FromHadesWithLove Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was thin until I was about 14, a few years after puberty. I was very self conscious about my weight which ironically made me start to over eat and gain weight.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yep. Was overweight in kindergarten. I was a premie born 2 months early and have been on steroids since day 1. My parents worked 2 jobs each and we mainly ate convenience food. I'm loosing weight slowly now and learning what works for me
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I perceived myself as fat from Elementary school, but looking at Lucy's I was pretty slander but muscular for a kid until 15. That year I was in college and ate way too much Mc Donald's and didn't get much exercise. Went from 150 to 200 (5'11") but because it's always thought I was fat the change didn't shock me, only depressed me.
  • DazzleOrDelight89
    DazzleOrDelight89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was fed crap as soon as I popped out of the womb, so I've been overweight since childhood (imagine those tubby toddlers you see on Maury). Those habits are hard to kick when it's the only lifestyle you've ever known!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I was fairly skinny and then had a bad reaction to mosquito bites. Had a steroid shot to get rid of it. Ever since then I got bigger. Of course ate some bad foods at times too.
  • jusca
    jusca Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yep, my family ate out everyday and I never learned good eating habits. I ate a lot because they let me and sometimes out of boredom although I didn't know it at the time. When I was a teenager, I got in better shape and somewhat different eating habits. By my mid-20s is when I started to slowly introduce more vegetables and more healthier food options in daily eating.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    No. Didn't have trouble maintaining my weight until after 50. Seriously, if I worked out as hard as I do now at 35 I would look amazing! Menopause and aging is not for the weak at heart. Bwahahahha