Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    It is not yours until you pay for it.

Do you have a scripted speech prepared for all the law breakers you see out there?

Of course not it is absolutely none of my business. The question was if it is bad manners or not. I believe it is because a product is is not yours until after you purchase it.

Like the steak you eat at the restaurant?
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    It is not yours until you pay for it.

Do you have a scripted speech prepared for all the law breakers you see out there?

Of course not it is absolutely none of my business. The question was if it is bad manners or not. I believe it is because a product is is not yours until after you purchase it.

Like the steak you eat at the restaurant?

Thats how restaurants work that is not how grocery stores were iwork . It is not a dine in establishment. Like fast food is not a dine in establishment and you pay prior to eating. It is not a huge deal and I have never even seen it happen in person.
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It's rude unless they are diabetic having a blood sugar emergency, in which case manners can go by the wayside in favor of not passing out.

This!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Clearly people in this thread don't know what the definition of rude is; they just don't know what to call their own irrational annoyances.

rude
    [rood]
    adjective, ruder, rudest.
    discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way:

Are people that eat in a grocery store deliberately being discourteous or impolite? no. Do they even know that you exist? No.

Who is winning here? The eaters, because they're happy and eating while you are stressing over things that are out of your control. Again, their eating isn't an issue, it's just one of many things (I'm sure) that trigger an issue with you.

And hell, I don't even eat in grocery stores, I just can't fathom why people would be concerned with those that do. How sad.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Clearly people in this thread don't know what the definition of rude is; they just don't know what to call their own irrational annoyances.

rude
    [rood]
    adjective, ruder, rudest.
    discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way:

Are people that eat in a grocery store deliberately being discourteous or impolite? no. Do they even know that you exist? No.

Who is winning here? The eaters, because they're happy and eating while you are stressing over things that are out of your control. Again, their eating isn't an issue, it's just one of many things (I'm sure) that trigger an issue with you.

And hell, I don't even eat in grocery stores, I just can't fathom why people would be concerned with those that do. How sad.

Your definition said "especially", not "only". As in, it's possible to be rude even when one may be oblivious to being so.

The winners here could also be those enjoying a light hearted discussion on the interwebs!
  • ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Photoman62 wrote: »
    Huge pet peeve of mine. Last year while shopping at Costco, a woman and her husband were buying strawberries and they had 3 clamshells open and picking the best ones from 2 of them and exchanging with the ones they were going to buy. Rude and totally classless.

That's even worse. So, so much worse. You can generally tell by looking at strawberries which ones are ok.
    Switching out is only ok for eggs - there are usually 0 packs without a broken egg among them.
    cariduttry wrote: »
    Rude? How in the world is this rude? It's like you're making up things to be offended by. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, this what twists your panties?

LOL, i agree! i'm so busy with my life that i wouldn't even NOTICE, let alone be offended by it!

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I definitely appreciate the other points of view.
    I have been trying to understand this as well. Rude because they're eating a rotisserie chicken and licking their fingers and touching everything all over and leaving bones in the aisle? Or rude because they popped open a container of crackers and munched on a few? Because I have opened crackers or candy in a store and never thought twice about it. I'm going to pay for it anyway.

Yeah, if the OP is talking about sampling stuff as they go around the store, that's one thing, but just munching on something that you're going to buy as you make your way through the store?

I was focused on consuming things bottoms up in the store. Usually it is finger foods being consumed, so it tends to get obnoxious; but I've seen those who Sample too- from boxes items. Usually though they're not gonna buy anything anyway.

Again thank you for your input
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie I've done this before with a drink.

I never thought it was rude. Now that I know it bothers people and is considered 'rude' I may re-evaluate. Where I grew up it was a norm, lots of moms trying to make toddlers and children happy or occupied so they can get their grocery shopping done. It looks difficult enough to shop with one kid and some of these moms are vastly outnumbered. I don't judge them for giving the kids something so they have a less stressful shopping trip.

Also I don't put this in the realm of 'manners.' I am more annoyed with people that just have no concern for others in general. When I am at a grocery store and will be buying that item (I take more than one form of payment so I never get to the cash register and can't pay), I don't see how it affects other people negatively? People already eat and drink at the grocery store (samples anyone?).
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Not going to lie I've done this before with a drink.

I never thought it was rude. Now that I know it bothers people and is considered 'rude' I may re-evaluate.

I won't. It's not my (or your) job to not offend someone; especially over something as trivial as this.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I don't understand the "it's not yours before you buy it" logic:

Ever hear of a restaurant? I pay for AYCE sushi AFTER I've already eaten it all.

I test drive a car and gun the hell out of it knowing full well I probably won't buy it.

When I get meat from the Deli at my grocery store, they GIVE ME meat to eat (gasp!) before I'm even close to being ready for check-out!

Ever go to a shoe store? If you tried on shoes and pranced around (like a typical, entitled, rude, scalawag) the aisles with them on your feet, you are a hypocrite. Period. Especially if you didn't buy them; now the poor soul who does has to put their un-thieving feet where yours have been and they don't know when the last time you had a pedicure was, or if you even clean those festering things. The nerve!

Trying on multiple pairs so you can purchase your new work shoes is the same as not being able to wait 20 minutes to snack on some cookies? If you didn't like the cookies, would you repackage and return them to the shelf?

They provide socks for trying on shoes. Anyone concerned about others' feet could actually use those. There are a number of tools in place for what is clearly a try before you buy setup

Well some people will try on a pair of shoes, walk around; decide they like them & then go pay for them, without taking them off because they either put their old shoes, in the trash (if there's a trash can nearby) or place them in the box, of the new shoes.

Yep! I've seen that done. Or even wearing the clothes to the counter if they need to be somewhere and then taking the tags off once they've paid. Again, these are clearly established try before you buy businesses!

However with many restaurants, you're expected to pay; whether or not, you enjoyed your meal (which eliminates it being, a try before you buy establishment) but they pay after, they've consumed; their item.

Very true. I still wouldn't take my dirty dishes to the check out counter or otherwise start ripping open packages and using the item just because I can do it in a restaurant. Waiting until I have the store receipt in my hand and the item belongs to me makes more sense to me

Hilarious visual!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Also while some stores have "Paid" stickers, to apply to purchased merchandise; not all do. So how do you know, that they didn't pay; before consuming it or that they didn't bring the item, from home?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

• LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Huge pet peeve of mine. Last year while shopping at Costco, a woman and her husband were buying strawberries and they had 3 clamshells open and picking the best ones from 2 of them and exchanging with the ones they were going to buy. Rude and totally classless.

Sorry but I disagree with this. If you're paying for a box of berries it is totally your right to know that you're actually getting the berries that you're paying for. The way those clam shells are packed and the handling they undergo always turns about 1/3 to 1/2 of them into disgusting mushy rotten or mouldy messes before they can be bought. All those customers are doing is making sure that they are getting what they are paying for. They aren't actually hurting anyone else because no one has to buy the berries they leave behind. I can understand why it might bug you but I can't see why the people doing it are either rude or classless.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Who is the offended party here? The store, generally a large corporation, who's going to get its money either way? The customers who aren't doing it but may very well be drinking or eating something from the Starbucks at the front of the store? I guess I figure for something to be rude it has to negatively impact someone or something, and I guess I don't see the impact here.

If you go with the argument that they may not end up having the money to pay for it, then nobody should be able to order a custom sandwich or salad from the store deli unless they pay first.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I gotta eat when hunger strikes, but I've never dug into a package in the store. That's why you hit the deli for a free slice of meat or cheese ;-) Saw a guy feasting in the produce department, anything small, he ate it. Didn't see if he picked anything up to purchase, I had moved on. If you fully intend to pay for it and you absolutely need nourishment, it's fine to snack. But if it's something you need to weigh, either find another snack or make a quick purchase and continue shopping.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to understand this as well. Rude because they're eating a rotisserie chicken and licking their fingers and touching everything all over and leaving bones in the aisle? Or rude because they popped open a container of crackers and munched on a few? Because I have opened crackers or candy in a store and never thought twice about it. I'm going to pay for it anyway.

Yeah, if the OP is talking about sampling stuff as they go around the store, that's one thing, but just munching on something that you're going to buy as you make your way through the store?

Basically it's not yet yours until you have paid. Though I do sample grapes because I'm not buying sour ones. #nothappening

And it's not the OP's. Maybe I'm not just uptight enough. *shrugs*

Could range anywhere from bad manners to potential theft. And yep, those things do not bother everyone when it isn't yours being taken.

I was once in a market and an old man was griping about high prices. He then proceeded to sick his hand in the bulk nuts and just eat them. Never measured nor paid. I told him he just answered his own question.
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    No different than eating at the food demos. Belly up!

At my local Costco i jokingly refer to the sample stops as lunch tables, the way some people grab five or more.

Not that they everhave any good samples as far as I'm concered. Most of that stuff makes me wanna go yuck.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Basically it's not yet yours until you have paid. Though I do sample grapes because I'm not buying sour ones. #nothappening

And it's not the OP's. Maybe I'm not just uptight enough. *shrugs*

Could range anywhere from bad manners to potential theft. And yep, those things do not bother everyone when it isn't yours being taken.

So we all would be better people if we assumed that everyone munching on a cracker or taking a sip of some drink while at the grocery store is a dirty thief?

And what if they are having a diabetic episode maybe they needed food right then and there?

I stay in my lane.

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Have to say it never occurred to me that this was offensive to anyone.

So do you all just go straight to a grocery, spend 20 minutes in the store, then leave, presumably for home?

Because my days often don't work like that. The grocery could be my 3rd stop, might not be my last.

And if I'm really hungry or thirsty then I deal with it (water, single string cheese, protein bar) and I pay for that item with the rest of my purchase which could be as much as an hour later in a big store where I'm not just getting groceries. If I gotta go I do that at the start of my shop too.

I was actually at Meijer around an hour and a half this morning. Didn't eat anything there, but I was eating a Quest bar for breakfast in the car on the way to take my daughter some stuff she forgot and needed at school, before Meijier. Somehow ended up not having lunch at all.

Because shopping isn't that fun and being thirsty/hungry/needing to pee makes it less fun and more likely I will forget something or get something impulsive I don't really need.

Yeah, I guess I could walk a quarter mile back to the dairy case, get a string cheese, walk back up front, go through the line, and then shop. But I have better things to do with my time.

OT: So if it doesn't belong to you until you pay, does that mean that if you break it you don't have to pay for it because it wasn't yours yet?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options

Sorry but I disagree with this. If you're paying for a box of berries it is totally your right to know that you're actually getting the berries that you're paying for. The way those clam shells are packed and the handling they undergo always turns about 1/3 to 1/2 of them into disgusting mushy rotten or mouldy messes before they can be bought. All those customers are doing is making sure that they are getting what they are paying for. They aren't actually hurting anyone else because no one has to buy the berries they leave behind. I can understand why it might bug you but I can't see why the people doing it are either rude or classless.

I'm on board with wanting all the berries to be perfect but I can't really get on board with people *touching* all the berries to get that perfect assortment. Eggs are different because of the shell but berries? People eat the outside as well.