Keto or not to Keto...

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I've been on Keto for about 8 months, it's hard and my version leaves out food that I consider healthy. If I only wanted to lose weight - I would not stay on Keto. However I have many other benefits, health, improved brain function, faster thought processes, no IBD, no acid reflux. Blood levels totally normal and I get to eat lots of cheese.

I have lost a lot of weight, but I think I could have done that several other ways.

Do you mean IBS because keto doesn't cure IBD
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Most of my expereinces are with people who worry about fat consumption.

MUCH easier to limit carbs in restaurants than fat.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 18. I had a disastrous time last time and all my bloodwork numbers went bonkers. Some research and consultations have indicated that this may be due to my lack of gall bladder. So this time, I have supplements for people without gall bladders and more knowledge to apply, so that I can actually digest the high fat meals. (Turns out there's lots of research on people who do keto for epilepsy and also have had their gall bladder removed.) Also this time, I'm able to keep the protein lower, which was probably keeping me always on the bubble of being in ketosis, which is probably why I was always miserable.

Worst parts: thirst, the smell of fresh bread
    Best parts: lower anxiety, able to skip a meal without blood sugar crankiness
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I definitely drop weight when I am eating low carb. The main reason I avoid it though is my breath gets unpleasant. Would rather lose weight slower than have poo breath.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love Keto/low-carb.
    So far, it's been the only thing that has worked for me.
    I track on MFP, I eat high protein, high fat.
    Eggs, steak, burger, fish, chicken are my protein choices.
    Asiago or parmesean or blue cheeses.
    Roasted borcolli or aspargus, lots of "salad with stuff on it"
    Also new for me: I eat an avocado a day - half with breakfast, half with lunch.
    So, I will eat avocado slices with eggs in the morning, and put it on my salad in the afternoon.
    Before, with the higher carbs, I was SOOO hungry, and it was like an all-consuming hunger.
    And now, not so much...honestly, I think it's not the absence of carbs that does it, but the addition of more fat.
    I just realized this morning that I haven't eaten bread in a month.
    I thought I would miss it terribly.
    But, like I said, I think upping the fat reduced the carb cravings for me.
    And the fro-yo place up the road from us has low-carb fro-yo, so we still all go out there.
    I'm not a resaturant person, but it hasn't been hard to eat out. I just order meat and veggies.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 14th week of keto. It's been wonderful for controlling migraines--that was an issue for me--and I find it easier to restrict calories because, let's face it, eggs, bacon, steak, cheese...these are filling foods! I miss fruit, though, and having to restrict vegetables seems kinda weird.

The hard part for me was that it was too easy to restrict calories. The first eight weeks, I had to struggle some days, to hit 1000 calories, and I developed an issue where I was both chilling and sweating profusely, all the time...this went away when I increased the calories to 1500--and I was able to increase my exercise volume at that point, to offset some of the increase, and still not sweat...but it can be a lot of work, getting that many calories and keeping your carbs down. I'm eventually going to add in as many green vegetables as I can, and still maintain ketosis, which will take some experimenting.

Best parts: It's fairly easy to stick to; building muscle and losing fat at the same time; breakfast can be a package of bacon, and you're still sticking to your diet ;-)

Worst part: sweating and sweating and chilling and sweating and sweating some more. If this happens to you, up your calories.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    best part, I can go out to eat and socialize without being a pain in the #*$&#*Y at a restaurant

Wait, wut. Because you ARE keto or you aren't?

(If it's the former, seems to me restaurants would be a land-mine. But I don't eat at restaurants very often.)

It's a lot easier to eat out when you are low-carb/Keto.

Mexican - Fajitas, skip the tortillas, or a taco bowl, don't eat the bowl
    Italian - veal or chicken piccata, ask for veggies instead of pasta, or
    steak house - no explaination necessary
    pizza - eat the toppings, skip the dough, have a salad
    Chinese is harder, but most places have steamed dishes, so you can stay away from the sauces
    burger place- just don't eat the bun.
    breakfast places - can even go for eggs bennadict, don't eat the muffin

all of this is much easier than stressing over how much fat/calories is in your salad dressing or if your fish is grilled or broiled with a butter and wine sauce, or how many bites of rice or pasta you're allowed to eat. Forget about counting out french fries to make you calorie count for the day.

I mean, I don't know how it's easier to special order or waste food in a restaurant, vs. ordering & eating what they put on the plate (which is what I do). Going out to eat is an occasional thing for me, and I don't count French fries or bites or anything of the sort.