Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Are we going around and around in circles over sugar on this thread?

We're still at the carnival. I think we all just kind of exited the ride. We're gonna go check something else out for a bit then we'll be back for some more. Everybody knows the bumper cars are the bomb!

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I agree with labeling added sugars. I don't live in USA. I can taste the sweetness of sugar though. So to me anyway its pretty evident when something is sweetened vs unsweetened.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing if any of our MFPers who have problems with added sugars are surprised by foods with labels that indicate added sugars where they thought none existed. I don't know if any will exist, but I'm actually quite interested in seeing if there are foods that have added sugars that no one really would have guessed contain them. Of course, all that depends on exactly how they are going to define added sugars (milk solids?).

Of course, it's MPF. :wink:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

We're still at the carnival. I think we all just kind of exited the ride. We're gonna go check something else out for a bit then we'll be back for some more. Everybody knows the bumper cars are the bomb!

You will know who is on which side of the debate when you see what concession stand everyone lines up in front of... cotton candy vs corn dogs! ;) Or better yet - deep fried butter!
  • moe0303
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You will know who is on which side of the debate when you see what concession stand everyone lines up in front of... cotton candy vs corn dogs! ;) Or better yet - deep fried butter!

I'm looking for donuts for Lemurcat, so far all I can find is funnel cakes and fried oreos.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

You must be new here.

I am, so I at least have an excuse.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »

You must be new here.

Stick around - you've got potential kid. ;)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I'm looking for donuts for Lemurcat, so far all I can find is funnel cakes and fried oreos.

This is all you need.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »

You must be new here.

Stick around - you've got potential kid. ;)

I like him too.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I agree with labeling added sugars. I don't live in USA. I can taste the sweetness of sugar though. So to me anyway its pretty evident when something is sweetened vs unsweetened.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing if any of our MFPers who have problems with added sugars are surprised by foods with labels that indicate added sugars where they thought none existed. I don't know if any will exist, but I'm actually quite interested in seeing if there are foods that have added sugars that no one really would have guessed contain them. Of course, all that depends on exactly how they are going to define added sugars (milk solids?).

Of course, it's MPF. :wink:

I will not be surprised as the calorie count will stay the same. And the grams of sugar will be the same.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    How will you feel, you all who are in the USA if they start taxing sugar like they have done in the UK?

Seems they are kinda maybe setting it up to do that with the new labeling.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How will you feel, you all who are in the USA if they start taxing sugar like they have done in the UK?

Seems they are kinda maybe setting it up to do that with the new labeling.

What do you mean by "taxing sugar?"
  • Gamliela
    Options
    There is a tax on sugar in UK recently. Its to help the obesity problem, so they say.

Now that would be a sugar conspiracy if they bring that into the USA.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There is a tax on sugar in UK recently. Its to help the obesity problem, so they say.

The UK tax is on "sugary drinks" only, and it is charged to the producing company, not on the end-user purchase.

The infrastructure and record keeping necessary to tax each individual item based on the "Added sugar" number on the label would be impossibly complicated and expensive I would think.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

The UK tax is on "sugary drinks" only, and it is charged to the producing company, not on the end-user purchase.

The infrastructure and record keeping necessary to tax each individual item based on the "Added sugar" number on the label would be impossibly complicated and expensive I would think.

I soooooo agree with that. :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Some places in the US already do this. Boulder, Colorado has had a "Fat tax" on products that contain sugar but no flour or leavener since at least 2010... longer I think.
  • moe0303
    Options
    Now you're really getting into the politics, but I am generally against government regulation of almost any sort. I don't care about added sugar at all, but I do like the fact that we have nutrition labels. That being said, I'm not sure I agree that government should be the entity to enforce that requirement on the producers. I feel the same way about the "added sugar" thing.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Some places in the US already do this. Boulder, Colorado has had a "Fat tax" on products that contain sugar but no flour or leavener since at least 2010... longer I think.

Whoa there, I had no idea. I grew up there, whats to come next. :/