Really, a sandwich?

Options
124»

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am lucky, I don't like cheese, it helps keep calories down a bit. Also choosing Rye bread instead of a roll can help. Have them put Mustard not mayo and not that creamy crap. If you do get a roll, hollow it out. I have seen people do that too.

I usually make my own at home. I like the sandwich thins, its enough bread or a wrap. I put spinach and sometime other veggies, makes it more filling. I also like hummus as a spread, but you have to watch the calories there too they can add up. Like someone else said, I save lots of money and calories. Sodium is harder because the meat is usually still purchased, so tends to have more sodium. But I can't have everything :)

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    sympha01 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Are you suprised by this?

Oh, i'm vegetarian, i'll just have a sandwich...

ridiculous.jpg

No, not surprised at all. In fact I'm more surprised at the number of people who equate vegetarianism with lower calorie diets. I mean, it can be done of course, but with my protein goals getting enough protein on a vegetarian diet would require me to eat a lot more calories than I do. As it is, any meal I eat that's got cheese or tofu tends to be pretty high calorie. Beans are often sneaky calorie smugglers. Put a big hunk of avocado on a sandwich and BAM calorie bomb. (Delicious, but a calorie bomb).

I gained most of my weight (up to a whopping 315 pounds) on a vegetarian diet. I was pretty disappointed.

i've been my fattest and my thinnest on a vegetarian diet. I've been vegetarian my whole life. I hate this misconception, believe me i was eating all the bean burritos, sandwiches, pizza, fries, and jalepeno poppers i could. :wink:

LOL I got to 226lbs as a vegan. Mind you, I was already overweight when I made the switch. But I think I'm part-bloodhound because I got REALLY good at spotting all the delicious schtuff that just happened to lack dairy, eggs, and meat. Sweet Chili Doritos... Oreos... Twizzlers... Cheeseless pizza... and so on. It is 100% possible to eat a high-calorie diet while avoiding the foods that are immediately recognized as being high-calorie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ding30180 wrote: »
    In the US, cheese is on ALL sandwiches, a concept that I don't really understand, especially since almost all of the cheese readily available in America is utterly, utterly tasteless, and resembles nothing more than a semi-solid form of creamy milk.

First, this is not true.

Second, it's perfectly possible to get a sandwich with good cheese, and the idea that almost all the cheese readily available in the US is tasteless is just odd. We have many good local cheeses and the ability to buy cheeses from around the world even if there were something inherently inferior about cheese made in the US.

I think it's mostly because most sandwich shops use pretty bland cheese on sandwiches, in my experience (like American cheese, baby Swiss or provolone, or mild cheddar when you're lucky).

I can find very good cheese but it's usually expensive and stores just don't put over $5 worth of cheese in their sandwiches.

In my experience, swiss (not artisinal gruyere or emantaller) and provolone are considered sandwich cheeses BECAUSE they don't steal the show. Why would you want to put cave-aged bleu or expensive cambazola or fine manchengo on BREAD WITH MAYO AND HAM! That stuff is expensive so you can eat it alone or with delicate bites of charcuterie or pear or apple... something that compliments the cheese and maybe even the wine you are drinking.

You wouldn't buy a $45 dry-aged wagyu ribeye and throw that on bread with mayo and pickles, would you?

And try shopping around. Americans make great cheese! Also, if we're going to be snobby about Europe, guess who's been making cheese for A LOT LONGER. That's like complaining that America doesn't have enough castles.

Well, I disagree. It's probably changed now but when I grew up and had a ham and cheese sandwich, it was good aged cheese... not that bland overly processed stuff you can find in the US. And the cheese makes a HUGE difference... but again other there it's not one slice of cheese in the middle of a ton of stuff - you'll actually taste it.

Actually now that I think of it, I've found a few deli places here that sell 'croque monsieur' sandwiches with some comté or gruyère instead of baby Swiss... it's so much tastier.

But yeah, those are $10 sandwiches for an 8 inch roll.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I make a tuna sandwich for lunch every day. I use either one slice of whole wheat bread, or half a sheet of lavash. The calorie count on it is 217. That is with mayo and sweet relish.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ya'll realize you can cut a sammy in half and have two meals, right? Bam! Half the calories, all the deliciousness
    and none of the fullness.
    Because half a sandwich is a "why bother"
    That's why we call them sometimes foods.

I eat sandwiches every day, just not the kind that breaks the calorie bank. Had a greek yogurt sandwich today for a quick snack. 3 simple ingredients: flatbread, yogurt, fresh spearmint - with a cup of sweet oolong tea. The whole meal barely made it to 150 calories including the sugar and would have been even less if I used low fat yogurt instead of whole (don't like it). That sandwich I mentioned earlier? Yeah, that's a very "sometimes" food since the small doesn't satisfy me.

LOL- I agree- "sometimes" food- because that's definitely not a meal... that's a snack. but sounds tasty as hell though.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Last week, I bought six 93% lean ground beef patties. On Sunday evening, I grilled all of them: seasoned up with Mrs. (or Mr.?) Dash, black pepper, paprika, herbes de Provence, and other stuff (no salt). De-glazed the pan with a mixture of spiced rum, low-sodium beef broth, and a little ketchup. Sauteed onions then took the pan off fire when it actually came to the de-glazing. Then I piled the whole mess into a container and into the fridge for the week ... yes, this is the extent to which I use rum ...

Each morning, after a quick microwave blast of a patty, I either made a sandwich with a patty and some of the sauce or combined the meat with a heap of salad. I'd also bought a bag of watercress, and I have to say it makes a terrific salad ingredient or addition to a sandwich!

Did similar routine over the last month or so with top round slices. The tougher meat responds nicely to a braise in the de-glazing sauce.

Salad mix is surprisingly filling at less than 300 calories - and less than 100 mg of sodium (which is a concern to my doctor and me, since my blood pressure likes to be higher than anyone else likes it). A sandwich thin adds another 100 calories and less than 200 mg sodium. 93% lean means less trans fat percentage to worry about; beef gives me a nice heap of B12, which I noticed had been lacking in my diet (my finger nails told me - they're in better shape now).