Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Is that low carb and gluten free?

The bleach. Most definitely.

The donut? Do you care?

LOL.

Why would I ever want to eat a kale donut? :wink:

I'm sure it has lots of fibre, even though it likely tastes like *babytoads*. B)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The donut? Do you care?

LOL.

I'm sure it has lots of fibre, even though it likely tastes like *babytoads*. B)

See what you started? :sick:

Any you can't even get the right *babysloth* filth filter swap correct :laugh:

:heart:
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I may print the photo of the kale donut and put it on my fridge. That may be the most power appetite suppressant I've ever found.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I may print the photo of the kale donut and put it on my fridge. That may be the most power appetite suppressant I've ever found.

Those kale cookies and fish cupcakes are pretty bad too.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bjhau5iv65cu.jpeg
    I raise you a kale and apple cake.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I never realized kale was the key ingredient to turn everything into a St Patricks day theme
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    bjhau5iv65cu.jpeg

Oh gawd that literally made me gag. Someone pass the brain bleach!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Lol at the look on the interviewer's face ~40 seconds into the first video :D
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I read, and enjoyed, Lustig's book. It's worth it just for the in depth description of how the human metabolism works. He does not say we need to cut out all sugar. He only says we need to educate ourselves on how much sugar we are taking in and lower it to a reasonable level. He found that doing this helped his many patients, sick children either with endocrine problems due to cancer or chronic obesity, etc. Many of these children were lower income and their parents were not educated on nutrition and bought what was covered by food stamps (that's another "conspiracy" in itself). Too much sugar messes with your hunger/full hormones and is a contributor to chronic obesity.
    I wonder how many people who call Lustig some kind of maniac actually bothered to read his extremely well researched and interesting book...which again does not say you can't ever eat sugar for the rest of your life.

What's the food stamps conspiracy? When I was on food stamps I would buy fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables and whole foods like nobody's business. I would get jokes from the clerks and bag boys about how I must be planning to live forever. So I'm curious about what's the conspiracy?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    bjhau5iv65cu.jpeg

Get in line for it! I got dibs if Steven leaves any :tongue: :laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I read, and enjoyed, Lustig's book. It's worth it just for the in depth description of how the human metabolism works. He does not say we need to cut out all sugar. He only says we need to educate ourselves on how much sugar we are taking in and lower it to a reasonable level. He found that doing this helped his many patients, sick children either with endocrine problems due to cancer or chronic obesity, etc. Many of these children were lower income and their parents were not educated on nutrition and bought what was covered by food stamps (that's another "conspiracy" in itself). Too much sugar messes with your hunger/full hormones and is a contributor to chronic obesity.
    I wonder how many people who call Lustig some kind of maniac actually bothered to read his extremely well researched and interesting book...which again does not say you can't ever eat sugar for the rest of your life.

What's the food stamps conspiracy? When I was on food stamps I would buy fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables and whole foods like nobody's business. I would get jokes from the clerks and bag boys about how I must be planning to live forever. So I'm curious about what's the conspiracy?

They are even currently pushing for use of SNAP at farmers markets.

Here's one local program: http://www.greencitymarket.org/programs/program.asp?id=15
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Seriously, keep kale out of my treats. Or my everything.5kjn2mq465hl.jpg

They have added sugar. Kale cookies are officially da debil!!!

But its coconut sugar, that probably doesn't count as rEEEEaly Eeeeevil sugar.

Sorrry, late to the party. :/
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    bjhau5iv65cu.jpeg

This cake is horrible.

• KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options

If all Lustig claimed were that we should reduce sugar to a reasonable level to help improve our health, I'd be on board. But instead he demonizes a single component of our diet, blaming obesity almost entirely on sugar, and ignores or minimizes other contributing factors. He doesn't always use solid science to do this.

Alan Aragon breaks down Lustig's claims in his YouTube documentary about sugar with peer reviewed studies:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

I think demonize is a harsh word. He explains why too much sugar causes havoc in your metabolism. I feel like there is ample evidence that it does in the amounts many Americans eat it. Also, I have read the book so I do not feel the need to read a break down of it.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Since I've never been on food stamps I am not an expert, so perhaps this is not something I should have brought up. I am making generalizations that I certainly am not qualified to make and I apologize.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

The donut? Do you care?

LOL.

See what you started? :sick:

Any you can't even get the right *babysloth* filth filter swap correct :laugh:

:heart:

You do you. o:)