How many women actually workout with weights

Options

Replies

• 1Rune
    1Rune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What part of NOOBIES, aka "WOMEN WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WEIGHTS" as opposed to people that have been doing it for years was unclear here?
    Seriously? You're "offended" that a woman asked him a question in order to learn more about weight training? GTFOI. Jeezus.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i'd love to start lifting properly but too embarrassed to go to the gym :blush:

Try a BBOD workout like Chalene Extreme. It's "heavy" weights meaning you lift as heavy as you can to fail within a certain # of reps (changes with each phase). And you can do it at home with some basic dumbells. If you've never lifted you'd be ok with 3-15 lbs. The max I do now is 25. I'm doing it now and I LOVE it. I can see a big difference in my strength and I'm definitely getting leaner and not bulky :)

Thanks for that. I have weights at home and a basic squat bar. Will get the courage to go some day. Maybe when I've lifted some excess
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    At least 3 days a week, every week. As heavy as I can, usually with a 3x8 structure. I hit all the major compound lifts, with some accessory work thrown in.

Always free weights, though If I go to the gym at a busy time and Im in a time crunch I will settle for machines occasionally.

There is usually between 2 and 5 women in the free weight area of my gym, (not a big percentage - usually around 20 men).
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i do... honestly probably lift more weight than most of the guys in my gym.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 5-6 days a week. Look how bulky and huge I got!! :p

20160523_140710_zps2zqj8mkr.jpg

if this is bulky, in for bulky. you look amazeballs!
  • mkakids
    Options
    I lift heavy 5-6 days a week. Look how bulky and huge I got!! :p

20160523_140710_zps2zqj8mkr.jpg

I would Love to have your arms! But I'm going to be honest.....while I do lift 3 days a week...I do NOT want to put in the amount of effort it took you to get them (so I will just ogle yours for now, lol).

• mkakids
    Options
    I do weights 3 to 4 days a week, and I dont see any difference. I do want my arms to get firm. Is there something safe out there I could also add to my diet to gain muscle?

In addition to the questions above - what kind of weights are you using and are you following a program?

You should be lifting a weight that is very challenging on your last rep. You should be able to complete the lift (with good form), but it should be hard to do. If you can do 3x8 (or 5x5 or 3x10 or whatever the program you are using specifies) and still feel like you could do a couple more when your done - you need to pick a heavier weight. If you do not fatigue your muscles you are just gaining endurance.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I prefer body weight training (Vinyasa yoga). If I take a pilates class we use weights in there. Once in a while I will use kettlebells or weights if it's a week I can't make it to yoga classes.
  • emmafulford
    emmafulford Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love weights. Feel like I've really pushed my body when exercising with weights. Also go for runs. Try to keep a good balance. Find weights are great for keeping a good figure.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I lift
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This time last year I was doing a pretty intense weight lifting program from tnation 6 days a week lifting heavy (I'm 4"11 and was 108ish lbs and squatting 115 or so). I was not counting calories and in 6 weeks I put on 6 lbs including 4% bodyfat. I pretty much freaked the eff out and stopped all training and decided to get my hormones back in balance (I was still nursing my daughter) and get my diet under control. This February I started MFP CICO and cardio only. I lost 15 lbs. Now I've started adding light weights (20-30lbs) 2x a week and keeping my cardio the same. I'm starting to see that toned look that I want. I'd like to go back to fun lifting someday because I got such a high out of feeling stronger. I don't fear getting bulky as in too much visible muscle but I do fear the fat gain that comes along with trying to feed muscle growth which is why people who compete are constantly on the build/cut cycle. I don't think I want to be on the merry-go-round. For now I'm happy doing my little routine and getting my results.

Wait -- you weren't counting calories in 6 weeks, and you put on 6lb and 4% bodyfat, but you blame weight-lifting?

I lift 3 times a week and run 3 times a week. I enjoy the balance between strength training (and I do heavy lifting -- barbell squats/front squats, deadlifts, bench presses, pull-ups, etc) and I am training for a 10K now. I've lost about 20lb so far, but I've lost a significant amount in inches off my body (last time I checked, it was over 20 inches off my total frame) in about 5 months. My bodyfat percentage has gone down tremendously in that time since I started seriously weight-lifting. I look better now at 185lb than I did a couple years ago when my only exercise was the elliptical. I'm 100% pro weight-lifting.
    This time last year I was doing a pretty intense weight lifting program from tnation 6 days a week lifting heavy (I'm 4"11 and was 108ish lbs and squatting 115 or so). I was not counting calories and in 6 weeks I put on 6 lbs including 4% bodyfat. I pretty much freaked the eff out and stopped all training and decided to get my hormones back in balance (I was still nursing my daughter) and get my diet under control. This February I started MFP CICO and cardio only. I lost 15 lbs. Now I've started adding light weights (20-30lbs) 2x a week and keeping my cardio the same. I'm starting to see that toned look that I want. I'd like to go back to fun lifting someday because I got such a high out of feeling stronger. I don't fear getting bulky as in too much visible muscle but I do fear the fat gain that comes along with trying to feed muscle growth which is why people who compete are constantly on the build/cut cycle. I don't think I want to be on the merry-go-round. For now I'm happy doing my little routine and getting my results.

Wait -- you weren't counting calories in 6 weeks, and you put on 6lb and 4% bodyfat, but you blame weight-lifting?

I lift 3 times a week and run 3 times a week. I enjoy the balance between strength training (and I do heavy lifting -- barbell squats/front squats, deadlifts, bench presses, pull-ups, etc) and I am training for a 10K now. I've lost about 20lb so far, but I've lost a significant amount in inches off my body (last time I checked, it was over 20 inches off my total frame) in about 5 months. My bodyfat percentage has gone down tremendously in that time since I started seriously weight-lifting. I look better now at 185lb than I did a couple years ago when my only exercise was the elliptical. I'm 100% pro weight-lifting.

It was a combo of things. Not just lifting as I stated. Clearly I was eating more than I needed. And I've added weights and lost inches too. Good for you For finding what works.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I do, but they're not particularly heavy weights. I'm arthritic. I just do the best I can and call it even.
  • mealohaoe
    mealohaoe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do at least 2 times a week. I use to use the machines with my dad way back as a teenager when we would go to the base gym. I like being strong and besides, it's good for our bones and women need a lot of help with that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »
    I don't carry my phone when I do weights. I count, concentrate and breath. :)

This plus listen to music. When I stopped carrying my phone, I found my focus and workouts were better.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy. I'm not powerlifting for sport, but I regularly test my 1RM to gauge progress. I lift 5 times a week usually.

I also do endurance events that involve lifting heavy items (logs, cement blocks, etc.) and carrying them for long distances.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Me! But I'm not very good at it. I feel like I'm winging it all the time, even when I try to stick to a program of some sort. I have no one in my life that wants to lift like I do, so I'm on my own. You sexy lifting b!tches, come lift with me!!
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I lift enough to be fairly toned but I'm not a bunny either
  • Loco_Beast
    Loco_Beast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Im just getting into lifting.

Good for you, good luck, and best wishes.
  • Loco_Beast
    Loco_Beast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm 66 years old and have been lifting for almost two years. I'm coming off a shoulder and a hip injury so I'm just now working my way back up to higher weight. My leg press is at 490 right now, first time back at squat yesterday was only 75 but my deads are at 145.........working toward my best of 185. Can't do OHP yet but started chest and shoulder press to work my way back up on my bench. Injuries suck though!

Oh and I'm not bulky either!

This is AWESOME, This kind of post is so motivating, makes me want to go to the gym right now! Congratulations on your progress, and good luck on the rest of your journey.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I weight train. I lost 30-40 lbs doing it and got tiny, and then even purposely bulked and still didn't look bulky (though a bit chunky).