Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

afraid of animal fats and cholesterol?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ...., and my lipid panel is perfect.

You said previously that a simple lipid panel is meaningless. Out of curiosity, what are your numbers? Total, LDL, HDL and Triglycerides. As a bonus, toss in your fasting glucose and a1c as well.

From what I remember reporting to my sister, my LDL:HDL ratio was 1:1. My HDL was 84. Total cholesterol was normal, and triglycerides were very low... I certainly meet the AHA's guidelines, but not everyone does necessarily.
    It would have been nice to get actual numbers but anyway, by your given ratio, your LDL would be 84, which as you probably know, is not typical for people on a paleo style diet high in meat and saturated fat. I've seen numerous threads on a paleo/primal forum where people have had their LDL (bad) cholesterol go up and be above normal ranges despite losing weight.

The response is usually to only focus on ratios and on HDL (good chol) which naturally goes up with dietary fat. The typical advice given to these unfortunate folks is to ignore current guidelines as being outdated. I fell for this BS as well even when my total chol went up to 278 and LDL went up to 203. Luckily, I wised up and I've managed to drop to normal recommended levels by dropping the high saturated fat paleo diet.
    I don't think my doc did an A1C given I'm 32, but maybe he should have--lots of diabetes in my family. Just recently I checked my blood sugar to practice using a new glucometer at work (I'm an RN). My sugar was 68, and I was feeling excellent (not hungry in the least, had coffee and heavy cream that morning and in fact fasted the rest of the day)--the funny thing is that at the hospital, a patient with a blood sugar below 70 is considered hypoglycemic and immediately treated. If asymptomatic, we can use an oral snack or glucose gel. I guess that's the power of having a blood supply rich in ketones!
    That's completely unnecessary for optimal health. My last fasting glucose was also a normal 70 mg/dl (normal is 65-99) despite my diet of 75% carbs ( that's well over 300 g/day). Majority of that is whole foods like potatoes, rice, oats, other grains, legumes, fruits and veggies but it also includes table sugar on a daily basis and sweets on a weekly basis.

Well, from what I understand, I don't eat a "paleo" diet, but I've never studied it. I eat a ketogenic real food diet. For one thing, I'm perfectly fine with dairy. Another, I don't eat honey or agave or other high carb sweeteners that may or may not be paleo friendly (I think they are ok with honey?). Lastly, I don't consume high sugar fruit on a regular basis, like grapes or pineapple. If I wanted to "cheat," I'm ok with most anything that's a real food. Sometimes I allow potatoes, but nothing processed or pulverized like wheat flour or bread. I don't enjoy beans, and I don't find eating them necessary.

As far as the ketogenic diet goes, I have heard from listening to docs who prescribe it, that about 1/3 of patients will have LDL drop (like me), 1/3 will have LDL stay the same, and 1/3 will have LDL rise. For the latter third, a nuclear lipid panel will help determine LDL particle size and risk related to those ratios... of those patients, usually 2-3% have the more dangerous pattern of a rise in small, dense LDL. I do think a nuclear lipid panel is far more helpful than a basic panel--did you doctor ever order one of those? Or just the basic panel? For those who see a rise in small, dense LDL, it seems a lot of those patients start off with the severe underlying insulin resistance and might still need higher than normal levels of insulin to down-regulate the production of VLDL (a normal role of insulin in a healthy person).

Just some thoughts... more research is needed, and on the way!

One more thing... you get 75% of your macros from carbs? Yikes! Are you very physically active and/or eating mostly whole food carbs? How are you getting enough fat and protein? How many grams of protein and fat do you get? That sounds pretty insane to me. It might be worth noting that fasting glucose says nothing about your fasting insulin levels. Your pancreas can pump out extra insulin for years, working overtime to keep your blood glucose normal, while your insulin level creeps up and up and your cells become resistant. It's only when the worn out pancreas and the resistant cells reach a breaking point that the fasting blood glucose starts to rise.

Whats wrong with 75% carbs? The healthiest and longest lasting people in the world are in that range. But again, its the carb that matters.

@psulemon

Just do the math, if he's consuming 75% of his macros in carbohydrate (about 300 grams, he states, which would correspond to a 1600 calorie diet)... let's assume he's eats the DRI of protein for the average sedentary male = 56 g, which would mean about 14% of this macros... then he's got another 11% for fat (insanely, impossibly low btw, no normal human does this and eats palatable food), which translates to about 20 g per day. That's ridiculous. It's absolutely intolerable for a normal human. If he was white knuckling himself to eat this way, his brain tissue would probably shrink and he'd become depressed (as many people on an extreme low fat diet)... The guy could basically eat 1/4 cup of almonds per day for his entire fat allowance. Everything else would have to be fat free!!

"His" profile says he's actually female (which I think was stated in this thread).

75%, 10% (not insane, although not my thing: see https://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/ and following), and I believe I've seen some posts supporting the below 10% fat thing, and so 15% protein. At 1600 that would mean 60, which lower than usually recommended to maintain muscle at a deficit, but the poster has not shared her goals.

Kenyan and Ethiopian marathon runners tend to be around 80-10-10, and healthy. Macro mix doesn't seem to matter that much traditionally either. Food choice does. But the idea that carbs are unhealthy is a ridiculous travesty.

80/10/10 and the likes are probably sustainable in the context of a high calorie intake, because this way at the end of the day you can eat enough fat and protein. On a calorie restricted diet, they are probably a recipe for disaster.

I mostly agree (although I wouldn't call 1800-2100 a calorie restricted diet, that's maintenance at the poster's weight) and for me that would be true, but there are HCLF vegans who seem to do fine and the Fuhrman, etc., people, so I tend to take a broader approach -- macros can be extremely variable.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    None of this is convincing me to eat more animal fats.

Me too. Finding out that saturated fat is "not as bad as once thought" is not a green light to gorge on it. It means, don't be afraid of it. Feel free to include it onto your diet the same as any other nutrient, in moderation. As alwyas, IMO, balance is key...

Yep, as I always thought.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Religion, politics and diet. The Holy Trinity of but hurt...
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    “Mao recalled: "Very many members of our family have given their lives, killed by the diabetes and the heart disease. You grew up eating honey, and thus far you have never known health. In the future, if you do not become a carbist, but rather a moderate, I shall be satisfied. You have never suffered--how can you be a ketoist?"

-Mao Tse-tung (translated to English by richln)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I guess if one has no genetic risk whatsoever for diabetes then a diet with 75% calories from carbs can work. Otherwise, for a significant portion of the population that is probably not going to end well eventually.
    The situation of people in other cultures eating that much is irrelevant in this context since those people do not have rates of diabetes like it is seen in the Western world.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In fact, insulin resistance is actually the greatest risk factor for heart disease--so I would focus my intervention on preventing that risk factor first ...
    So people should exercise more, as exercise improves the body's sensitivity to insulin.

I guess nobody wants to talk about things that actually work, so, yeah, eat 10 pounds of bacon to prevent heart disease. :neutral:

I'm kinda tempted to ignore your extremism and sarcasm. It's not insightful or productive. Just to help point you in the right direction, I will say that insulin resistance is multi-factorial and can exist in skeletal muscles or the liver or both--also treating IR is effective with more than just exercise and calorie restriction (which seems to be the most common/mainstream answer to every health related question... and I don't doubt that's because it sets people up for failure and helps out industry big-time).

In a healthy person, an inverse relationship exists between blood glucose and free fatty acids. This means that when glucose is low (as in a fasted state), free fatty acids are high (since the cells are burning fat for energy). When you eat, glucose goes up, insulin goes up, the breakdown of fat is inhibited, and free fatty acids levels fall. However, in type 2 diabetes, all three are high: glucose, insulin, and free fatty acids. This process starts with cells becoming overwhelmed with both glucose and insulin, they start protectively turning the glucose in fat stores, resulting, for example, in streaky fat deposits in the muscles and also fatty liver disease. (Remember Dr. Greger from earlier in the thread... he was saying these fat deposits cause IR, but really they are just a side effect of high insulin and glucose levels). People even induce fatty liver and fat streaked muscles in animals (because it tastes good) by feeding them sugar, starch, and/or corn in opposition to their natural diets. If you want to address the IR, exercise can help because it lowers both glucose and insulin and helps the cells get back into lypolysis--however, anything that lowers glucose, insulin, and promotes the breakdown of fat are going to be helpful: 1. switching to "slow carbs" which cause a lower glucose and insulin response (aka, whole or real food), 2. simply restricting carbohydrates, and 3. fasting are very powerful tools for healing IR.

Of course, this flies in the face of mainstream advice, which would have you believe that no one really knows the cause of IR... it might be genetics? obesity? saturated fat? trans fat? It's such a mystery! And if you have IR, it's a progressive disease with no known cures (aka, you will need medicine one day and will take it in increasing doses for the rest of your life). It's just funny to me how exercise and calorie restriction are totally acceptable to mainstream... but tools that do the exact same thing but more powerfully, are just not OK. I mean, if people start regularly fasting and eating real low carbohydrate food, who is going to buy the cheap, processed stuff that makes so much profit? If people actually heal their IR or T2DM, who is going to buy all the insulin at such a ridiculously high price?

Fasting and vlc diets are accepted in the mainstream. But they aren't pushed as much because dieting or change lifestyles is hard enough. Adding high restriction can make it even more difficult especially since many people are coming off diets with highly processed carbs and fat.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "even more difficult." What's more difficult?

Simply restricting calories, feeling weak and hungry all the time, and killing your metabolism, wasting more lean muscle

OR

switching to ketosis and getting the benefits of appetite suppression and increased mood and energy along with a surge in growth hormone and resultant increase in metabolism through fasting, while sparing more lean muscle

I guess picking out the foods and cooking them would be the hard part... grabbing whatever is around the house and counting calories might be easier to some.

Most of this is actually nonsense. Do you really think that if people don't follow low carb or keto that we are all weak, hungry, and wasting muscle? Do you really think that everyone who follows keto automatically improves hunger, mood and energy? It's this type of bias which drives arguments because it isn't factual. And it's these biases and lack of knowledge that keeps me away from most of this debates. Too much cherry picking and not enough discussion.

And every diet claims improvements in mood, increased energy, and so much more.. why because most of it is placebo. And the rest is from improving the foods you eat... shocker that you have improved mood when you go from a lifestyle with low nutrient foods and no exercise to one with very high nutrient foods and exercise.

You can be satiated on any type of diet if you know what to eat. You can fail at every type of diet if you don't know what to eat. Hell, how many people do you see posting on the forums about how they are starving, exhausted, and so much more with low carb diets and keto?

Protein is the key to maintain muscle and metabolism. Keto is only muscle sparring if protein levels are at a level to support sustainment of lean body mass and there is some progressive resistance to drive the breakdown of muscle tissue. If protein is low on keto and training is not adequate, you will lose muscle (outside the standard deviation of weight loss).

Your sunshine and rainbows "every diet is equally valid and helpful and anyone who says otherwise is just spouting nonsense because what really matters is placebo effect, increased nutrients, and exercise" might seem really great on the surface; however, the big problem with it is it isn't "factual," and it isn't supported by any science. It just sounds cool for you to come down on all those silly "biases and lack of knowledge." (This lady must really know what she's talking about!)

We're talking about people healing from insulin resistance, not just finding a way to eat. There is evidence that carbohydrate restriction and fasting works for them far better than simple calorie restriction. Even simply taking the same amount of calories, but restricting them to a feeding window, such as 8 hrs, instead of spacing them out over all waking hours, shows greater metabolic improvements--why do you think that is? Weight loss is not just about calories-in-calories-out. It's driven by hormones--for someone with IR, the problem is high insulin. How do you think they drop those levels? There is science and evidence available to help them.

What if you came to your doctor for treatment of a disease and he said, "well, pretty much any treatment you choose will give you some benefit, so pick whatever feels right for you." Would you be happy with that answer? Or would you say, "You're the MD. You have the degree. What does the evidence say?"
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    In fact, insulin resistance is actually the greatest risk factor for heart disease--so I would focus my intervention on preventing that risk factor first ...
    So people should exercise more, as exercise improves the body's sensitivity to insulin.

I guess nobody wants to talk about things that actually work, so, yeah, eat 10 pounds of bacon to prevent heart disease. :neutral:

I'm kinda tempted to ignore your extremism and sarcasm. It's not insightful or productive. Just to help point you in the right direction, I will say that insulin resistance is multi-factorial and can exist in skeletal muscles or the liver or both--also treating IR is effective with more than just exercise and calorie restriction (which seems to be the most common/mainstream answer to every health related question... and I don't doubt that's because it sets people up for failure and helps out industry big-time).

In a healthy person, an inverse relationship exists between blood glucose and free fatty acids. This means that when glucose is low (as in a fasted state), free fatty acids are high (since the cells are burning fat for energy). When you eat, glucose goes up, insulin goes up, the breakdown of fat is inhibited, and free fatty acids levels fall. However, in type 2 diabetes, all three are high: glucose, insulin, and free fatty acids. This process starts with cells becoming overwhelmed with both glucose and insulin, they start protectively turning the glucose in fat stores, resulting, for example, in streaky fat deposits in the muscles and also fatty liver disease. (Remember Dr. Greger from earlier in the thread... he was saying these fat deposits cause IR, but really they are just a side effect of high insulin and glucose levels). People even induce fatty liver and fat streaked muscles in animals (because it tastes good) by feeding them sugar, starch, and/or corn in opposition to their natural diets. If you want to address the IR, exercise can help because it lowers both glucose and insulin and helps the cells get back into lypolysis--however, anything that lowers glucose, insulin, and promotes the breakdown of fat are going to be helpful: 1. switching to "slow carbs" which cause a lower glucose and insulin response (aka, whole or real food), 2. simply restricting carbohydrates, and 3. fasting are very powerful tools for healing IR.

Of course, this flies in the face of mainstream advice, which would have you believe that no one really knows the cause of IR... it might be genetics? obesity? saturated fat? trans fat? It's such a mystery! And if you have IR, it's a progressive disease with no known cures (aka, you will need medicine one day and will take it in increasing doses for the rest of your life). It's just funny to me how exercise and calorie restriction are totally acceptable to mainstream... but tools that do the exact same thing but more powerfully, are just not OK. I mean, if people start regularly fasting and eating real low carbohydrate food, who is going to buy the cheap, processed stuff that makes so much profit? If people actually heal their IR or T2DM, who is going to buy all the insulin at such a ridiculously high price?

Fasting and vlc diets are accepted in the mainstream. But they aren't pushed as much because dieting or change lifestyles is hard enough. Adding high restriction can make it even more difficult especially since many people are coming off diets with highly processed carbs and fat.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "even more difficult." What's more difficult?

Simply restricting calories, feeling weak and hungry all the time, and killing your metabolism, wasting more lean muscle

OR

switching to ketosis and getting the benefits of appetite suppression and increased mood and energy along with a surge in growth hormone and resultant increase in metabolism through fasting, while sparing more lean muscle

I guess picking out the foods and cooking them would be the hard part... grabbing whatever is around the house and counting calories might be easier to some.

Most of this is actually nonsense. Do you really think that if people don't follow low carb or keto that we are all weak, hungry, and wasting muscle? Do you really think that everyone who follows keto automatically improves hunger, mood and energy? It's this type of bias which drives arguments because it isn't factual. And it's these biases and lack of knowledge that keeps me away from most of this debates. Too much cherry picking and not enough discussion.

And every diet claims improvements in mood, increased energy, and so much more.. why because most of it is placebo. And the rest is from improving the foods you eat... shocker that you have improved mood when you go from a lifestyle with low nutrient foods and no exercise to one with very high nutrient foods and exercise.

You can be satiated on any type of diet if you know what to eat. You can fail at every type of diet if you don't know what to eat. Hell, how many people do you see posting on the forums about how they are starving, exhausted, and so much more with low carb diets and keto?

Protein is the key to maintain muscle and metabolism. Keto is only muscle sparring if protein levels are at a level to support sustainment of lean body mass and there is some progressive resistance to drive the breakdown of muscle tissue. If protein is low on keto and training is not adequate, you will lose muscle (outside the standard deviation of weight loss).

Your sunshine and rainbows "every diet is equally valid and helpful and anyone who says otherwise is just spouting nonsense because what really matter is placebo effect, increased nutrients, and exercise" might seem really great on the surface; however, the big problem with it is it isn't "factual" and it isn't supported by any science. It just sounds cool for you to come down on all those silly "biases and lack of knowledge." (This lady must really know what she's talking about!)

We're talking about people healing from insulin resistance, not just finding a way to eat. There is evidence that carbohydrate restriction and fasting works for them far better than simple calorie restriction. Even simply taking the same amount of calories, but restricting them to a feeding window, such as 8 hrs, instead of spacing them out over all waking hours, shows greater metabolic improvements--why do you think that is? Weight loss is not just about calories-in-calories-out. It's driven by hormones--for someone with IR, the problem is high insulin. How do you think they drop those levels? There is science and evidence available to help them.

What if you came to your doctor for treatment of a disease and he said, "well, pretty much any treatment you choose will give you come benefit, so pick whatever feels right for you." Would you be happy with that answer? Or would you say, "You're the MD. You have the degree. What does the evidence say?"

I take it you've never tried to be medicated for depression...
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I guess if one has no genetic risk whatsoever for diabetes then a diet with 75% calories from carbs can work. Otherwise, for a significant portion of the population that is probably not going to end well eventually.
    The situation of people in other cultures eating that much is irrelevant in this context since those people do not have rates of diabetes like it is seen in the Western world.

If people are eaten lots of carbs and not getting diabetes it seems pretty relevant. It eliminates carbs as the causal factor.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

OR

Your sunshine and rainbows "every diet is equally valid and helpful and anyone who says otherwise is just spouting nonsense because what really matter is placebo effect, increased nutrients, and exercise" might seem really great on the surface; however, the big problem with it is it isn't "factual" and it isn't supported by any science. It just sounds cool for you to come down on all those silly "biases and lack of knowledge." (This lady must really know what she's talking about!)

What if you came to your doctor for treatment of a disease and he said, "well, pretty much any treatment you choose will give you come benefit, so pick whatever feels right for you." Would you be happy with that answer? Or would you say, "You're the MD. You have the degree. What does the evidence say?"

I take it you've never tried to be medicated for depression...

Yeah. There are plenty of other illnesses where that offer is presented. The patient must weigh up the pros and cons, potential side effects etc.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

No, the situation of people in other cultures is precisely relevant. It suggests the issue for people in societies with high diabetes rates is something other than carb percentage.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

OR

IRT IF. It is an effective strategy for a lot of people. There is some science, albeit a lot is more prelimary, that can suggest some benefit. There is no denying that. But as with all studies, there are parameters. And once you deviate from the parameters, you have to expect different results.

But also with all medical conditions, there are a variety of reactions and requirement. PCOS, for example, is one medical condition that benefits from low carbs, but depending on the severity, they see that benefit from 20g all the way up to 200g. Could those at the higher range see benefit from the reduction? Possible, but it would depend on the ability to sustain. Some have seen greater impacts due to exercise and going to a more slow carb style diet.

So it's not sunshines and rainbows, but rather that I recognizes this one size fits all thing is utter nonsense. I recognize there is science supporting many different eating styles (i.e. - plant base vs low carb for cholesterol improvements). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like you can if it doesn't support low carb or keto.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

No, the situation of people in other cultures is precisely relevant. It suggests the issue for people in societies with high diabetes rates is something other than carb percentage.
    I already mentioned genetics. And when there is at least a little genetic risk factor present for any given individual, eating a high carb diet becomes dangerous. That's why I mentioned from a health perspective, this kind of diet is only sustainable if there are no underlying genetic abnormalities in glucose metabolism.
    paulgads82 wrote: »

If people are eaten lots of carbs and not getting diabetes it seems pretty relevant. It eliminates carbs as the causal factor.
    True, but this has to be evaluated over the long term. As it's already been stated, the progression from initial insulin resistance to abnormal blood sugar can take a long, long time to develop.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    Options

I already mentioned genetics.

Societies with higher carb percentages are all over the place, probably not genetics, with rare exceptions like someone being of Inuit or Yupik descent perhaps.

IMO, likely food choice (not carb percentage) plus obesity rate (with some people being more susceptible even at lower weights, but the overall rate lines up extremely closely to obesity rate).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    My favorite part of this thread was the insinuation that if you eat a higher carb diet, you must not have a sex-drive.

Mine is high carb percentage = diabetes.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    My favorite part of this thread was the insinuation that if you eat a higher carb diet, you must not have a sex-drive.

Mine is high carb percentage = diabetes.

And apparently a shrinking brain... needs some citations, I'd think.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Re "it's genetics," this study compares people in Western Africa and people of Western African descent in London.

The ones in London ate fewer carbs, but different carbs. More fat, sat fat, and protein.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4660931/
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs394/en/

"Energy intake (calories) should be in balance with energy expenditure. Evidence indicates that total fat should not exceed 30% of total energy intake to avoid unhealthy weight gain (1, 2, 3), with a shift in fat consumption away from saturated fats to unsaturated fats (3), and towards the elimination of industrial trans fats (4)."

This as stated is utter BS. If energy intake is in balance with expenditure (CI=CO) then you will not have weight gain, unhealthy or otherwise. What percentage comes from which macro is irrelevant.