It's just not worth it

Options

Replies

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    the one thing you'll learn here, crap happens. keep learning from it and keep going. I've been on here seriously way too long to count at this point and have had great success and massive failures but one things stays the same, I keep logging in/tracking/moving forward. ;) Stop beating yourself up and make changes so next time you can report to us a great success. :D

Thanks so much! You're exactly right. Today I weighed and was 2 lbs lighter yay! Maybe it was just sodium retention but that was my weekly weigh in yesterday. Who knows. Anyway, you're right. Can't beat ourselves up!

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    That's fantastic that you've dropped 25 lbs!! That's not easy to do! Keep it up and keep a positive attitude!

Cheers for a brand new day looking a head, forgive yourself and move on!!

Thank you! I will do just that. If I can't forgive myself, I'll never be able to forgive others right? Lord knows I need to do that on a daily basis, lol!! :smiley:
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    trinairby wrote: »
    I went to the beach with a friend two weeks ago. I planned my breakfasts, lunches, and snacks and we ate dinner out. I logged all meals and did go over my calories (for losing weight), but stayed under maintenance. We walked at least 2 miles on the beach each night. I didn't stress about it because I wanted to enjoy myself, but I didn't want to throw healthy out of the window either, so a compromise is possible.
    I haven't lost an ounce since I've been back, and that was almost 2 weeks ago. BUT my clothes fit better and I'm continuing to log and exercise, so I know I'm doing my body right. The number on the scale is not my end all be all, and it shouldn't be yours. You've had great success with a 25lb weight loss, celebrate! Realize you can't live your life regretting an indulgence. The trick is to allow yourself some wiggle room, but mostly eat healthy. I call it the 90/10 rule.

Great advice! Thanks so much. Would you mind giving me some ideas of what you ate all day on the beach and then for dinner at night that could help me? I'm just getting a little nervous because I love to eat on the beach and I get so hungry for some reason. I guess it's called being lazy laying on the beach doing nothing, lol. I'll get up and get moving though and walk/run and maybe even do some push-ups lol! Thanks for your tips :)
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    eandasher wrote: »
    You gotta enjoy your life, are you training for some kind of sports or fitness event?? If you are you should plan out accordingly and let your friends and family know. Otherwise Do your best, and use portion control and good judgment. (I have the same problem feeling guilty about eating certain things, I mentally give myself permission, "we are spending time with friends at a party, and I'm not going to feel bad about this. This is why I eat right the other 98% of the time :smiley: ")

Lastly your post says its not worth it, but you made all these choices. You love to bake, make smaller personal size baked goods for your friend, have fruits, yogurt, and granola there and enjoy a parfait. There are probably thousands of 'healthy' pizza recipes out there (and you do love to bake!) Use google type in 'healthy pizza recipes', 'healthy baked good recipes', and plan ahead when possible you have to be in control of your own life... My buddy owed me lunch he asked where I wanted to go? I told him hey man just buy some steaks I got veggies, rice, and some potatoes at my house. As I love too cook this was probably better then any restaurant we could've gone too.

Great advice. Thank you for your time! I guess I shouldn't say I "love" to bake, haha! ;) I was exaggerating with the "love" but I don't mind it and can bake when I am in the mood to. I do have an amazing cauliflower pizza recipe that is super healthy that I could have made but I wanted to go out with my friend since it's not often we are together. We live 3 hrs apart and don't see each other often. I guess the part of giving myself permission, is that every day or week could be "something" I'm giving myself permission for you know? There's always lots of birthday parties in my large family so birthday cake is something I could easily eat a lot of. I have to decide and make the choice and sometimes that's difficult. I try to allow for those calories though too. I want to be fun to be around and not always having to feel like I have to say, "I can't eat that..." especially when others around me like to have someone to eat something yummy with them. I have to do this for me though and I'm the one who has to carry the weight around on my knees and hips, right? I want to do all I can now at age 44 to not need knee or hip replacements later in my life.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Bananas and mandarins are easy when on holidays. I usually cook egg too
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    IMO, You've got to stop obsessing over the scale so much. Ninerbuff is right - It's not healthy and can warp your mind when it comes to eating and socializing and just taking care of your body.

It's good to keep track of where you're at, but it's the long-term trend that's important. Look at it another way. You think that since yesterday was your weekly weigh-in the number is somehow more accurate than today. It must mean you really gained 1.5 pounds. Well what if your weekly weigh-in happened to be on Fridays instead? Wouldn't you then think you were doing great because you were down half a pound from last week? ;)

The point is, weight is a range not a single number. It goes up and down every day based on what you eat, how salty it was, how much you've peed or pooed, how much exercise you've done. You said that in the last week you ate pizza and McDonald's hamburger and fries. Those items alone could make you retain water as opposed to gain fat.

I've weighed daily, except for vacations, for roughly 3 years now. The graph is not a nice straight line from highest weight to now. It zig-zags like crazy up and down every day. Last month the scale went up 8 pounds in one day, just because I'd eaten a large, salty (and delicious!) meal. Three days later it dropped by 10 pounds! All of that was water, both the gain and the loss.

This journey IS worth it. But you need to be realistic and educate yourself or you're only going to make yourself crazy. ;) You can do it! You've already made 25 pounds!!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    IMO, You've got to stop obsessing over the scale so much. Ninerbuff is right - It's not healthy and can warp your mind when it comes to eating and socializing and just taking care of your body.

It's good to keep track of where you're at, but it's the long-term trend that's important. Look at it another way. You think that since yesterday was your weekly weigh-in the number is somehow more accurate than today. It must mean you really gained 1.5 pounds. Well what if your weekly weigh-in happened to be on Fridays instead? Wouldn't you then think you were doing great because you were down half a pound from last week? ;)

The point is, weight is a range not a single number. It goes up and down every day based on what you eat, how salty it was, how much you've peed or pooed, how much exercise you've done. You said that in the last week you ate pizza and McDonald's hamburger and fries. Those items alone could make you retain water as opposed to gain fat.

I've weighed daily, except for vacations, for roughly 3 years now. The graph is not a nice straight line from highest weight to now. It zig-zags like crazy up and down every day. Last month the scale went up 8 pounds in one day, just because I'd eaten a large, salty (and delicious!) meal. Three days later it dropped by 10 pounds! All of that was water, both the gain and the loss.

This journey IS worth it. But you need to be realistic and educate yourself or you're only going to make yourself crazy. ;) You can do it! You've already made 25 pounds!!

I know what you're saying. I actually didn't eat the mcds food last week but was just saying that I won't deprive myself of that. I ate the cheeseburger and fries probably 2 or 3 weeks ago. I also wasn't saying the journey isn't worth it. I was saying that eating all of that sugar isn't worth it
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options

I know what you're saying. I actually didn't eat the mcds food last week but was just saying that I won't deprive myself of that. I ate the cheeseburger and fries probably 2 or 3 weeks ago. I also wasn't saying the journey isn't worth it. I was saying that eating all of that sugar isn't worth it and how bloated I feel plus the weight gain even if it was water retention. Not sure what happened to all I wrote before. It deleted. I'll try to remember what I wrote here to you. As far as weighing goes, I always thought it to be more accurate of a weight to weigh on the same day same time each week vs weighing every day and going with that number. That's why I am going with yesterday's weight since that was a week exactly from the last weigh in. Does that make sense?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP how much total weight are you trying to lose, what do you have your rate of loss set at, and what is your calorie goal?

As others have said, the intense focus on the scale weight is not always healthy. Weight fluctuates naturally, which is why many people weigh every day so you begin to see those patterns, it also prevents from having to wait a week to weigh after a spike.

It should be very possible to fit foods like coffee cake and pizza into your diet in moderation. Losing weight shouldn't come at the expense of all the foods you love. Nor should your vacation be something you dread because you are so concerned about what you are eating.

If you've lost 25 lbs, it may be time to increase your calorie goal by 250 cals and reduce your rate of loss, it depends how much weight you still have to lose.

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP how much total weight are you trying to lose, what do you have your rate of loss set at, and what is your calorie goal?

As others have said, the intense focus on the scale weight is not always healthy. Weight fluctuates naturally, which is why many people weigh every day so you begin to see those patterns, it also prevents from having to wait a week to weigh after a spike.

It should be very possible to fit foods like coffee cake and pizza into your diet in moderation. Losing weight shouldn't come at the expense of all the foods you love. Nor should your vacation be something you dread because you are so concerned about what you are eating.

If you've lost 25 lbs, it may be time to increase your calorie goal by 250 cals and reduce your rate of loss, it depends how much weight you still have to lose.

I see what you're saying and definitely in moderation will eat these foods but was just frustrated at myself for over indulging on my homemade coffee cake which was full of butter and sugar and a brown sugar topping ...very rich. I need to find healthier alternative recipes so I don't have the sugar addiction that I seem to get after having just one piece. It's like it's was so good that I kept going back for more. I feel like I truly can't have these kinds of foods around or it's a major temptation. Like an alcoholic with alcohol in the house. It's no different. I see these tendencies in myself and just don't want to go there again. I'm down to 142.6 today and would love to get down to 135 lbs so I play around with my calories. Right now I have it set to 0.5 lb/week weight loss which has me at 1590 calories and then I exercise and eat 1/2 of those back. However, I think when my friend was here I had it set at 1200 to full myself but maybe that was the problem. I wasn't fueling myself properly.

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options

*fool not full lol!
    Also, when I first started with my weight loss I set my calories to 1200/day and that was easy. I definitely feel like it's not enough now which makes no sense since I wouldn't think I need as many calories being less weight.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    You do realize 1.5lbs means nothing right? You can gain that overnight by just over-salting your dinner. Sodium is a pain in the *kitten*! Drink lots of water (always have a full glass all day) or 2 days and watch the salt intake and I'll be you'll see that 1.5lbs go bye bye within 3-4 days. Maybe less. Happens to me all the time. I've been at maintenance for 3 weeks now, last few days I ate way over maintenance, hell I even had a king size package of M&M's last night and I didn't even log it. I lost .5lbs this morning. The difference? Ever since I hit maintenance I have been over on my sodium but I drink tons of water. Probably about a gallon a day on top of anything else I eat/drink. Good luck, but all I can tell you is sometimes you just gotta eat the cake! ;)
  • blueiii31062
    blueiii31062 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This was a great thread to read today. I gained weight (I weigh Friday to Friday) after weeks of losing solidly. I was feeling pretty down (I gained about a pound). But I am also retaining water (joint issues and meds) and need to stop focusing on that one number. Very helpful information!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself on holiday! Its your reward for a year's hard work. I always continue to log on holiday, but I don't stress about those soaring red columns B) Once I get home I just knock the calories back down a little (I'm currently in maintenance, but did the same when I was losing). I don't tend to measure my weight now, rather my inches. If the tape measure shows an increase I make sure I'm extra good (trying to save at least 100 calories a day) til it goes back down. Besides, its good to give your metabolism a jolt every so often.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

*fool not full lol!
    Also, when I first started with my weight loss I set my calories to 1200/day and that was easy. I definitely feel like it's not enough now which makes no sense since I wouldn't think I need as many calories being less weight.

I found 1250 really easy when I first started and had a lot to lose. It remained pretty easy until I was in the healthy weight zone. Then, I don't know if it was that I was burnt out on cutting calories some or (as I suspect) having less fat to lose, but it became much harder. I switched to a TDEE method, and let my loss rate slow some and lost about 15 more lbs.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    You do realize 1.5lbs means nothing right? You can gain that overnight by just over-salting your dinner. Sodium is a pain in the *kitten*! Drink lots of water (always have a full glass all day) or 2 days and watch the salt intake and I'll be you'll see that 1.5lbs go bye bye within 3-4 days. Maybe less. Happens to me all the time. I've been at maintenance for 3 weeks now, last few days I ate way over maintenance, hell I even had a king size package of M&M's last night and I didn't even log it. I lost .5lbs this morning. The difference? Ever since I hit maintenance I have been over on my sodium but I drink tons of water. Probably about a gallon a day on top of anything else I eat/drink. Good luck, but all I can tell you is sometimes you just gotta eat the cake! ;)

lol! Love your way of thinking! Yep...sometimes we just gotta eat our cake!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options

lol! Love your way of thinking! Yep...sometimes we just gotta eat our cake! [/quote

Not sure why this didn't all post. I had said that I was down 2 lbs today. I drink lots of water with lemon and lime and refill all day long. I know about sodium retention and weight gain from that but I think just seeing my weekly weigh in and gaining 1.5 lbs was upsetting when I've for the most part worked so hard. Congrats to you on reaching maintenance! Not much longer for me now. About 7 lbs to go :smile:
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Don't starve yourself on holiday! Its your reward for a year's hard work. I always continue to log on holiday, but I don't stress about those soaring red columns B) Once I get home I just knock the calories back down a little (I'm currently in maintenance, but did the same when I was losing). I don't tend to measure my weight now, rather my inches. If the tape measure shows an increase I make sure I'm extra good (trying to save at least 100 calories a day) til it goes back down. Besides, its good to give your metabolism a jolt every so often.

Great advice, thanks! And congrats to your on your maintenance!

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    This was a great thread to read today. I gained weight (I weigh Friday to Friday) after weeks of losing solidly. I was feeling pretty down (I gained about a pound). But I am also retaining water (joint issues and meds) and need to stop focusing on that one number. Very helpful information!

Awww glad I helped you! Haha! I am like you in that I was also losing regularly week to week and then yesterday I was down about the 1.5 lb gain up to 144.6. Today however, I was down to 142.6 lbs. yay! I know I shouldn't be stuck on a number but I've been so happy to be in the 140's again after years of being stuck in the 150's-160's up to 180. I don't want to go back and it feels at times all I have to do is look at food or smell it and the weight comes right back! Ugh!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

*fool not full lol!

I found 1250 really easy when I first started and had a lot to lose. It remained pretty easy until I was in the healthy weight zone. Then, I don't know if it was that I was burnt out on cutting calories some or (as I suspect) having less fat to lose, but it became much harder. I switched to a TDEE method, and let my loss rate slow some and lost about 15 more lbs.

Yes I think this is what is key with weight loss and as someone else said, it gives our body a jolt to change it up.