Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Opinions on CICO while eating healthy?

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
I hear/see all these people claiming CICO alone is the only thing needed to reach fitness goals. I used to do that along with light exercise and lost weight but didn't become fit and instead became skinny-fat. So I increased my exercise a bit and still wasn't getting anywhere then went to a gym and saw all these lean guys and asked them a lot of questions. They told me no amount of exercise can outdo bad eating habits and I went to a nutritionist who also gave me advice on healthier food choices. So I slowly switched from processed to natural and lean foods, drank less soda, ate less fast food and had more energy to increase my exercise intensity. I slowly began leaning out and now I don't drink soda, rarely eat fast food, eat more healthy fats instead of fats from packaged foods, and limit desserts (I crave fruits and veggies instead anyways). I drink a gallon of water a day now. Haven't lost much more weight but am losing more inches and much leaner than when I was doing CICO alone (while eating anything). I'm currently helping a friend who's in the same boat I used to be in and she's now leaning out as well. Why do people think CICO is the only thing that's required?

Replies

• VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    It's the only thing needed to lose weight. It's an overriding principle, a law of nature.

I'm not sure who "people" are. For many people, losing weight is the most important thing they can do to improve their health. It's a lot easier for these people to realize that they don't have to give up everything that they love to eat and hit the gym for 2+ hours per day.

Not everyone has the same fitness goals.

People on forums for example, especially MFP. I'd like to know why CICO alone got me skinny-fat then. I lost weight, although I looked horrible. Those BB and athletes seem to know what they're talking about.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    I hear/see all these people claiming CICO alone is the only thing needed to reach fitness goals. I used to do that along with light exercise and lost weight but didn't become fit and instead became skinny-fat. So I increased my exercise a bit and still wasn't getting anywhere then went to a gym and saw all these lean guys and asked them a lot of questions. They told me no amount of exercise can outdo bad eating habits and I went to a nutritionist who also gave me advice on healthier food choices. So I slowly switched from processed to natural and lean foods, drank less soda, ate less fast food and had more energy to increase my exercise intensity. I slowly began leaning out and now I don't drink soda, rarely eat fast food, eat more healthy fats instead of fats from packaged foods, and limit desserts (I crave fruits and veggies instead anyways). I drink a gallon of water a day now. Haven't lost much more weight but am losing more inches and much leaner than when I was doing CICO alone (while eating anything). I'm currently helping a friend who's in the same boat I used to be in and she's now leaning out as well. Why do people think CICO is the only thing that's required?

I agree and experienced this myself.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You mention bodybuilders and athletes - were you training like them?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Back in my late 20's I lost weight the CICO way only, eating unhealthily and exercising. I felt horrible all the time, had no energy and hated every day of it. This time around I'm still counting calories, but also macros and cutting out junk food, eating healthy and cooking my own meals as much as I can. I feel so much better, have plenty of energy and love every minute of it.
    As others have said all that's needed is CICO to lose weight and if that's all you want then that's fine too, each to their own.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    CICO is a way to shorten the basic weight loss equation down to an easily typed acronym. It's not, by itself, a way of eating or diet. It will probably be less confusing in this thread if we could separate out CICO from "counting calories and ignoring other factors." The two are not equivalent.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    CICO is not a method or a way of eating. CICO is not synonymous with counting calories. CICO is an energy balance equation. Everyone who has ever lost weight has done so because their Calories In (CI) is less than their Calories Out (CO). How you achieve that (IIFYM, keto, vegetarian, paleo, any other way of eating) is up to you, you preference for a way of eating, and your personal nutrition and fitness goals.

All of this.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I hear/see all these people claiming CICO alone is the only thing needed to reach fitness goals.

Nobody says that, or, if they do, they're uninformed and you shouldn't listen to them. What people say is that calories in and out is all that's needed to meet your weight goals. Fitness is more complicated and multi-faceted than weight, as you're learning.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    It's the only thing needed to lose weight. It's an overriding principle, a law of nature.

I'm not sure who "people" are. For many people, losing weight is the most important thing they can do to improve their health. It's a lot easier for these people to realize that they don't have to give up everything that they love to eat and hit the gym for 2+ hours per day.

Not everyone has the same fitness goals.

People on forums for example, especially MFP. I'd like to know why CICO alone got me skinny-fat then. I lost weight, although I looked horrible. Those BB and athletes seem to know what they're talking about.

People frequently point out that eating adequate protein is necessary to maximize muscle preservation, that not having too aggressive a deficit and doing strength training or other resistance exercise also plays a role in that, and that eating well (i.e., meeting nutritional goals, not cutting out specific foods) may well make a difference to health and energy levels.

How much all this matters depends on where you are in the process. Someone with a lot to lose and for whom weight loss is needed for health will typically lose mostly fat even without worrying about these things and improve test results just by the loss of weight. (I'd still recommend eating well and getting enough protein and moving more if possible.) Someone who is reasonably lean and going for vanity or fitness goals will need to focus more on macros and perhaps other nutrition issues (depending on how bad their diet is). It depends on goals.

When people say CICO is all that matters for weight loss/gain, they are NOT saying there are no other factors to take into account in how you eat.

That said, I'd expect that if someone gets "skinny fat" is will have more to do with not enough protein, too aggressive a deficit, or inadequate training than not having a "clean" diet (according to any definition).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

The clue to why you remained "skinny fat" are your two statements in bold above. You did, however lose weight which is what the equation of CICO is used for to maintain a deficit during the weight loss. We lose more than just fat during a loss period (muscle loss also). Losing weight and fitness are two different things. Chances are you had not bulked up your muscles before your weight loss, and chances are you were not on a regular lifting or body weight regimen to maintain as much of your muscle as one possibly can hope to during a "cut" or weight loss. So you ended up "skinny fat" if that is a definition.

Once you hit the increase of intensity at your current body weight, your body started to adapt and shape itself due to the level of activity (fitness). As you said, the weight was already lost and you haven't lost any more. So you must be eating at maintenance level.

Also, it's worth noting that during a weight loss (deficit using CICO), one can easily feel a lack of energy for exercise - especially if training many hours per week. Studies in cycling and running have shown that combining weight loss with HIIT at the same time results in no improvement in your HIIT fitness while losing weight. Once the weight loss has stopped by reaching your goal, and one is not eating at a deficit the improvement takes off with the intensity.

It appears you reached the moment of goal weight, improved nutrition, maintenance, and bumping up your intensity all at the same time which is a golden combination and explains why you feel good right now.

Enjoy and keep up the good work. Good nutrition, CICO, bumped up intensity, maintenance - it's all good.

Great Video here to piggyback on the subject why maintaining your fitness and good nutrition is so important. Allow yourself 20 minutes to listen to this NY Times Best Seller Doctor and his life experience in his practice...

https://youtu.be/E4katnfHzXA

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    CICO is important for both weight loss and fitness. It's not hard to eat the diet you describe (I don't drink soda, rarely eat fast food, eat more healthy fats instead of fats from packaged foods, and limit desserts) and still gain weight. At least it wasn't hard for me.

This has been my experience too.