Women over 40 and already lifting? Let's build a supportive community!

Options
modmom1
modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
Hey gals! I think it would be great to get together with other women over 40 who have a real interest in lifting and want to be actively chatting with each other. Whether you're on your first program, been at it a few months, or even a few years...we can all learn from each other. Let's face it, keeping fit or finding fitness over 40 is HARD!

I'm 46 and have been lifting off and on for about 5 years but have been more committed to it over the last year. Yoga is also a big part of my practice. I come from a lifetime of weight struggles and thyroid issues (I no longer have one) and this road into strength training is creating wonderful changes to my body. My only regret is that I didn't find it sooner in life. I have no desire to compete, just to be the strongest, healthiest me and balance it with life enjoyment (that means don't touch my cookies hahaha)

So shout out! Where are you in your strength training journey? Let's be supportive of each other! Let's hand out the HIGH FIVES for the great days and give support for the low. Let's talk workouts, bucket lists, frustrations, and the best in compression workout clothes to hug that 40+ year old body in and up lol.

If there's enough interest here, I'll start a private group for us

Replies

• sublimesolutions
    sublimesolutions Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm interested! I'm 43 Yrs. Been training since 2006 and worked with an amazing trainer that got me 6 pack abs...but after having a kid, I fell off the wagon and got back into training in Aug 2015 and started with a new trainer in Oct 2015. I covete defined shoulders and abs and I'm now working towards getting bikini ready for August. I'm at 21%bf and want to get down to 15%.

What I find works for my endomorph body is circuit style training and intervals. Old school weight splits and cardio alternating every other day is no longer effective for me. I also need to eat cleaner...but my husband is a feeder.

I would love to have more active friends on MFP.
  • sublimesolutions
    sublimesolutions Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love fashionable workout clothes...black edgy mesh is my favorite but am finding certain brands are better at keeping it together...compression style. Eg love Michi for design...including a good waist band so I don't have to worry about readjusting when I do jumping exercise but find it doesn't have enough compression for a more flattering look on my legs. Heroine Sport is better for pants...style and compression and waist band. :)
  • modmom1
    Options
    I just picked up my first Alo leggings and I love them. They keep everything in and the rise is enough to maintain the love handles yet stylish enough to not hit under the boobs lol.

Defined shoulders are beautiful on gals. You have a great plan for summer.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and 3 1/2 months and lift!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hey, mod mom and others. Almost 41yr old lifter here. I've lifted off and on since college, but pretty much stopped exercising completely this past decade. Put on a few pounds. Started eating healthier and lifting/HIIT in February. Starting to get my six pack back. If only the flabby thighs would go away.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Oh I lifted heavy for 2 years, I became very ill and diagnosed with Crohn's and was bedridden for 10 months and now back at it for 7 months. This time I did SL 5x5 (my muscle memory came back strong and I progressed quickly even though I had to restart with just the bar!), Texas method (3x a week full body intermediate program) and just started PHATthis week (5 days a week upper/lower power hypertrophy intermediate program). I have extreme fatigue so no cardio at the moment
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi all you lovely ladies I'll be 51 in 2 weeks slightly older but it's only a number just come back from my holiday and decided while there that it's just what i need to do to tone up especially my upper body. would love to join the group better chance of being committed not to give up. my problem is not seeing results quick enough.
  • modmom1
    Options
    Hey, mod mom and others. Almost 41yr old lifter here. I've lifted off and on since college, but pretty much stopped exercising completely this past decade. Put on a few pounds. Started eating healthier and lifting/HIIT in February. Starting to get my six pack back. If only the flabby thighs would go away.
    You have great momentum going! Keep it up. If you find the secret to slimmer and less-saggy thighs, please let me know lol. Welcome!
  • modmom1
    Options
    tchrmom04 wrote: »
    I am just now 47 as of Thursday and I lift. I was doing Body Pump - but have transitioned over to the Strong program of lifting 3 days a week. I used to do NROF4W and know the benefits - but I had a stressful job in the middle there. Now I'm back to lifting - and love it! :) I have recently lost the 50 lbs that came with the stressful job and am happy to be lifting again. :)
    Happy birthday! We have to kick *kitten* for the second half of our 40s. I've done NROL4W. Great resource, unfortunately I screwed up my knee doing it. I still recommend it though. Congratulations on the weight loss. I'd love to hear how you like Strong.
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will be 50 in 4 months and have been an athlete my whole life. Unfortunately, I have had a lot of issues with food. Discovered a low carb high fat lifestyle through my doctor and am the leanest and happiest about food than I have ever been.

Recently decreased my running to 3 days a week with 2 of those runs being HIIT and the third longish and slow. I lift 5 days a week. I love hearing about the successes of women my age- we can still kill it!
  • modmom1
    Options
    Oh I lifted heavy for 2 years, I became very ill and diagnosed with Crohn's and was bedridden for 10 months and now back at it for 7 months. This time I did SL 5x5 (my muscle memory came back strong and I progressed quickly even though I had to restart with just the bar!), Texas method (3x a week full body intermediate program) and just started PHATthis week (5 days a week upper/lower power hypertrophy intermediate program). I have extreme fatigue so no cardio at the moment

Wow, you've been through a lot. What a comeback! I'll have to read more about PHAT, sounds really interesting.
  • modmom1
    Options
    george7527 wrote: »
    Hi all you lovely ladies I'll be 51 in 2 weeks slightly older but it's only a number just come back from my holiday and decided while there that it's just what i need to do to tone up especially my upper body. would love to join the group better chance of being committed not to give up. my problem is not seeing results quick enough.

So great to meet you! Yes its only a number...especially when you're taking care of yourself. **High five**
  • modmom1
    Options
    60to35 wrote: »
    Hi! I will be 50 in 4 months and have been an athlete my whole life. Unfortunately, I have had a lot of issues with food. Discovered a low carb high fat lifestyle through my doctor and am the leanest and happiest about food than I have ever been.

Recently decreased my running to 3 days a week with 2 of those runs being HIIT and the third longish and slow. I lift 5 days a week. I love hearing about the successes of women my age- we can still kill it!

Thanks for joining in! Sounds like running is very important to you. Were you a track athlete?
  • modmom1
    Options
    I'm at 21%bf and want to get down to 15%.
    Sublime, how are you measuring your bf? I've been looking at getting calipers, but I've never used them so I don't know if they're accurate. I would like to know my bf.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to go get a Bodpod or dexa scan done. They have places by my house. But I keep putting it off.
  • modmom1
    Options
    That would be a neat experience
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    45--at the gym now. I check the forums during my rest periods between sets. Helps me not rush.

Count me in! :smiley:
  • modmom1
    Options
    Have a great work out! What muscles are you hitting today?
  • modmom1
    Options
    Good morning ladies? What are your plans for today?
    Pretty relaxed day for me. Leg day and some yoga is on the plan. Then taking the family to the driving range so I can get a bit of practice in before a company golf tournament next week. Oh man I am NOT a golfer hahaha.