Problem with carbs

Options
Rae9911
Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
I always seem to go over on my carbs each day but miles under on Fat and Protein. Does anyone know what the appropriate levels for each of these should be each day, I just get so confused as I seem to get conflicting reports.

Any suggestions for the Carbs, Fat and Protein levels is appreciated. :huh:

Replies

• glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's basically 'to each his own'. I have my protein high and my carbs low, which many people prefer, but certainly not all. I do this because it 'seems' to work better for me physically, but certainly works better for me mentally as I don't crave protein and therefore don't (and pretty much can't!) overeat it. I also feel much fuller for longer with protein. You can check my diary if you want an idea of what I do.
  • Rae9911
    Options
    Thanks glypta had a quick look at your diary for ideas.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Rae, I would encourage you to do your own research and find out what the body uses for energy first: carbs or fat (google search it and you'll find out that the body uses carbs for energy and then fat and then muscle). You will also find out that adults need very little protein (unless you are rebuilding muscle) and so you should check with a professional (nutrionist/trainer) what your specific protein needs are as you are exercising. But generally speaking, adults do not need a lot of protein, not when you compare it to our need for carbohydrates. Lastly, do not consume (any) type of fat, especially animal fat. Animal fat is a denser fat compared to vegetable fat and it offers nothing in terms of "essentials" whereas plant fat is "lighter" (not saturated) and has the essential nutrients. For more information about carbs, proteins and fat, read some of Dr. John McDougall's books and read up on his opinion on the carbs vs protein debate.

Good health to you.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ........ Lastly, do not consume (any) type of fat, especially animal fat. Animal fat is a denser fat compared to vegetable fat and it offers nothing in terms of "essentials" whereas plant fat is "lighter" (not saturated) and has the essential nutrients. For more information about carbs, proteins and fat, read some of Dr. John McDougall's books and read up on his opinion on the carbs vs protein debate.

do you have decent research that shows this? Evidence that animal fat is BAD?
  • Rae9911
    Options
    All my Dr told me that when I saw him about loosing weight was to stick to 1400 - 1500 calories and not mentioned anything about Carbs, Protein or Fat. I have now tweeked my % on them and see what happens.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your protein levels seem really high! What percentage did you use for those?

I try to have about 100 - 150g carbs, and 75- 100g protein.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You need em all. Really it just depends what kind of carbs you are consuming and how much fibers. So consuming allot of vegetables is really good they have carbs and fibers. And of course fruits that have fibers are good too because then their sugars wont get absorbed so fast. These are all carbs and they are needed by your body.
    Fats are good too but go for some of those good fats like olive oils and nuts.

Go google Glycogen and Ketosis to see why some people go for protein diets and read the wiki pages.

My friend who is a professional body builder needs to eat allot of protein around 2-3g per kg and allot of carbs too so he can use then in his workouts.

And it really depends on Your body and your metabolism you need to experiment too see how you feel.

I have my protein high around 2g per kg and try to eat carbs from good sources.
  • taem
    Options
    Well, animal fat is saturated fat, vegetable fat is either mono or poly. You can look up these types of fats. Saturated fats are clumped "tight" and is much denser than vegetable fat. This is why cooking and dipping oils are all considered liquid fat.

All fat is bad, but there are essential fats found in plants. So, I say this: fat is fat and fat (90%) of it will be placed as adipose tissue (under your skin and organs) because your body uses up carbs for engery first, then fat afterwards. Why would you work out and then eat olive oil or avocados when avocados have 34% fat per 150 g serving http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2 and olive oil has 332% fat per cup (216g). Now you say that you won't eat all that and that's fine, but that's still fat. Olive oil calories? 1910 Calories from Fat? 1910. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/509/2

So if the fat you eat can be easily stored, because your body uses carbs for energy when working out then fat, why would you eat fat especially if MFP advocates that we eat back our work out calories? If you are going to eat a salad (something healthy), why would you pour fat over it (olive oil)?

Now, I agree that body builders need protein, no doubt, but I did say, generally speaking, the rest of adults who don't need to build muscle don't need a lot of protein.

If you think you need meat to be strong, please watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZwmluSn_T0
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Well, animal fat is saturated fat, vegetable fat is either mono or poly. You can look up these types of fats. Saturated fats are clumped "tight" and is much denser than vegetable fat. This is why cooking and dipping oils are all considered liquid fat.

All fat is bad, but there are essential fats found in plants. So, I say this: fat is fat and fat (90%) of it will be placed as adipose tissue (under your skin and organs) because your body uses up carbs for engery first, then fat afterwards. Why would you work out and then eat olive oil or avocados when avocados have 34% fat per 150 g serving http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2 and olive oil has 332% fat per cup (216g). Now you say that you won't eat all that and that's fine, but that's still fat. Olive oil calories? 1910 Calories from Fat? 1910. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/509/2

So if the fat you eat can be easily stored, because your body uses carbs for energy when working out then fat, why would you eat fat especially if MFP advocates that we eat back our work out calories? If you are going to eat a salad (something healthy), why would you pour fat over it (olive oil)?

Now, I agree that body builders need protein, no doubt, but I did say, generally speaking, the rest of adults who don't need to build muscle don't need a lot of protein.

If you think you need meat to be strong, please watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZwmluSn_T0

you say 'all fat is bad', but is it? I mean, are there actually any scientific studies that unequivocally show that fats (of any kind) are actually something we should avoid in totality? After all, that is what you are saying we should be doing if 'all fats are bad'.

I don't think it fair to compare avocados and olive oil. After all, you can't pour avocado juice over a salad in the way you do olive oil - each has its place in our diet and food choices. I certainly couldn't drink a cup of olive oil (I once tried it. I lost a challenge and the forfeit was to eat a huge chilli and drink the oil. I won't describe what it felt like)

I am happily an omnivore and firmly believe that we humans have evolved to be so. There are people who choose not to eat meat, and that is fine, but I do not think the nutritional or evolutionary argument holds water.
  • taem
    Options
    The American Heart Association says Fat is bad. You can argue your point with them.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4582

If you are thin and healthy, I say eat what you want, avocados and olive oil, whatever. If you want to lose fat or lose weight, why would you eat the fat back?

The reason why I stopped eating meats? Animals have cholesterol and plants don't. I do not want a heart attack or any other cardio vascular disease. You can listen to a podcast by Dr. McDougall and Robert Pritikin (his father brought Diet to the states). http://www.drmcdougall.com/mcdougallcast/media/2007-08-06_robert_pritikin_5-14-92.mp3

Good health to you.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options

Are you being serious?

All fat is bad fat? Not only are you wrong, your post should be deleted for its amount of misinformation. If you want:

Normal cell growth
    Nutrient absorption
    Normal cell function
    Normal hormone function
    Feeling of being satiated

Then eat fat. Of ALL kinds. Animal fats are a very important part of our overall health and the link to animal fats and ANY negative effects (given you don't gorge yourself) has been disproven by SCIENCE time and again.

You owe it to yourself to do some more research lest you continue to rapidly grow weak with age and gain in body fat.

TC:
    All macro nutrients are important and you should eat all of them. They all contribute to a healthy body. The breakdown is different for each person's goals but by and large we eat too many carbs and not enough protein.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    ANYWAY, to the OP:

Some people, myself included, like to keep the carbs low and eat more fats and proteins. I do this mostly because it keeps me full longer than a carb rich/low protein/low fat diet.

It really is a personal choice though. As long as you're under your calorie goal and feel okay, then it's fine.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    The American Heart Association says Fat is bad. You can argue your point with them.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4582

If you are thin and healthy, I say eat what you want, avocados and olive oil, whatever. If you want to lose fat or lose weight, why would you eat the fat back?

The reason why I stopped eating meats? Animals have cholesterol and plants don't. I do not want a heart attack or any other cardio vascular disease. You can listen to a podcast by Dr. McDougall and Robert Pritikin (his father brought Diet to the states). http://www.drmcdougall.com/mcdougallcast/media/2007-08-06_robert_pritikin_5-14-92.mp3

Good health to you.

so you are saying if I only eat plants I will not get high cholesterol or have a heart attack? Interesting. Interesting because even a quick scan of the internet suggests cholesterol is a lot more complicated than that and my diet is only vaguely related to the cholesterol in my blood.

As I understand it, there is almost no evidence from properly conducted scientific studies that directly links animal fat per se to heart disease.

Personally I want good health, and to get that I want to eat a good range of foods with a good range of nutrients. And I like my food. To be honest I do not think that science/nutritionists or anyone really truly understands the way in which different foodstuffs interact with the body (by that I mean food in its whole form, rather than broken down into a nutrient).
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

TC:
    All macro nutrients are important and you should eat all of them. They all contribute to a healthy body. The breakdown is different for each person's goals but by and large we eat too many carbs and not enough protein.

Very much so, from cellular communication to fat soluble vitamins fat is as much an essential nutrient as carbs or protein. And don't be sold on the idea that too much protein is too much... to much of any of the macronutrients is too much by virtue of cals in versus cals out. What should be given consideration is energy provided by the macronutrient versus energy used to metabolize it. Ultimately protein is metabolized into amino acids and used for muscle growth and/or further metabolized in ATP synthesis or converted to glucose and finally stored fat when at excess.

It's easy to generalize about the biological process of metabolism when you've followed a specific diet that has let you from 35% body fat to 28% body fat. When you start getting into the elite athletic range that's when percentages of macronutrients and calorie deficits begin to walk a very thin line in terms of optimal performance.

Short answer, don't listen to people who over generalize processes. Especially when comes to the metabolism and the role of macronutrients.
  • taem
    Options
    As adults, we don't need fat (not as much as the American culture is consuming) and I did say our body uses 10% of fat, we need little protein unless you are the exception (like body building). And I did say to go to a nutritionist/doctor to determine YOUR protein needs. I think however, I can generalize and say that fat is bad. I'll make another generalization and say that refined sugar is bad as well.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    As adults, we don't need fat (not as much as the American culture is consuming) and I did say our body uses 10% of fat, we need little protein unless you are the exception (like body building). And I did say to go to a nutritionist/doctor to determine YOUR protein needs. I think however, I can generalize and say that fat is bad. I'll make another generalization and say that refined sugar is bad as well.

I suppose you CAN make a generalization but its simply wrong. We absolutely do need fat. And what does that even mean: "our body uses 10% of fat"?

Again, EVERYONE needs more than a little protein. Again, if you want to have normal functioning cells and repair tissue then you need protein. If you want to stave off the natural loss of mucle mass as you age then you need protein. If you want to feel full and satsfied when you eat then you need protein.

I seriously can't tell if what you are posting is just misinformed copy pasta or outright lies. Either way, you're all the way wrong.
  • girlinahat
    Options

But you're WRONG. If fat is bad then we must postulate that no fat is good. So if I eat no fat I will live a happy and healthy life. Epic Fail. We do most certainly need fat.

I can agree with you on the refined sugar. But it tastes SO GOOOOD
  • taem
    Options

I suppose you CAN make a generalization but its simply wrong. We absolutely do need fat. And what does that even mean: "our body uses 10% of fat"?

Again, EVERYONE needs more than a little protein. Again, if you want to have normal functioning cells and repair tissue then you need protein. If you want to stave off the natural loss of mucle mass as you age then you need protein. If you want to feel full and satsfied when you eat then you need protein.

I seriously can't tell if what you are posting is just misinformed copy pasta or outright lies. Either way, you're all the way wrong.

When I say our body uses 10% of fat, I mean our body uses out of the whole fat we consume, it uses 10% of it. I never said we don't need protein, I said we don't need a lot of it but that is specific to your lifestyle. So, if you are sitting in front of a computer all day and all night, you don't need a lot of protein. If you are a body builder, you need protein--not that hard and it is specific, I did, again, say go to an expert to find out your specific needs. But generally speaking, as adults, we don't need a ton of protein.

If you want to feel satisfied, you don't eat protein but carbohydrates. Eating meat only and no/low carbs brings about Ketosis. You can listen to Dr. McDougall's interview with Dr. Atkins: http://www.drmcdougall.com/mcdougallcast/media/2007-05-03_01_track_1.mp3
  • taem
    Options

But you're WRONG. If fat is bad then we must postulate that no fat is good. So if I eat no fat I will live a happy and healthy life. Epic Fail. We do most certainly need fat.

I can agree with you on the refined sugar. But it tastes SO GOOOOD

I am replying, giving you folks urls to look up. Please back up your claims as well. Dr. Atkins is the meat only doctor so I suggest you listen to the interview and we can talk afterwards about fat and sugar. Dr. Atkins does say that fat and sugar is bad.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

When I say our body uses 10% of fat, I mean our body uses out of the whole fat we consume, it uses 10% of it. I never said we don't need protein, I said we don't need a lot of it but that is specific to your lifestyle. So, if you are sitting in front of a computer all day and all night, you don't need a lot of protein. If you are a body builder, you need protein--not that hard and it is specific, I did, again, say go to an expert to find out your specific needs. But generally speaking, as adults, we don't need a ton of protein.

If you want to feel satisfied, you don't eat protein but carbohydrates. Eating meat only and no/low carbs brings about Ketosis. You can listen to Dr. McDougall's interview with Dr. Atkins: http://www.drmcdougall.com/mcdougallcast/media/2007-05-03_01_track_1.mp3

I'll generalize here... I agree on a whole we do eat way too much fat, I also think we eat way too much carbs. You mentioned that if you sit in front of a computer all day that you don't need as much protein. I agree there as well but what I feel you are suggesting as the alternative is to consume primarily carbs as your macronutrient source and if you sit in front of a computer all day that's going to have a more negative effect on your body than consuming large amounts of protein. In other words I get the impression that you're suggesting a diet that is comprised of mostly carbohydrates and argue if you will I'm a firm believer that will lead to insulin tolerance and is the root cause of the weight problems that americans experience.

EDIT: sorry cant type and spell at the same time