Women over 40 and already lifting? Let's build a supportive community!

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I rode bikes to the park and did HIIT sprints. Rest day for weights. Heading to the beach with the fam!
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi Maddy! Great to meet you! I love Strong Curves. Great information and workouts in that book. Good luck doing the C25k!! I've never been able to run either so I completely understand how thrilling that must be.

Enjoy the beach mom23mangos. I'm totally envious that you have beaches nearby
  • sublimesolutions
    sublimesolutions Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Modmom. My trainer puts me on a machine...I know it's not as accurate as calipers but it's useful for benchmarking and measuring progress. I use to get measured by calipers by my trainer and was as low around 11% many years ago, so I know my goal of 15% is realistic for my lifestyle. I would recommend getting your bf measured by calipers by someone who is experienced first. Also get your peak shape measured by a professional so you always have that as a your benchmark.

Congrats on the photo shoot! If that's you in your profile picture, you already look great!

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I just turned 66 and have been lifting for about 2 years. I'm on my third trainer and having a blast.

A couple of injuries set me back a little this year but I'm climbing my way back up. I was doing SL 5X5 when I hurt my shoulder and had to completely stop OHP and bench but after 10 weeks of therapy I'm back.

I may try something a little less strenuous on the shoulder than OHP though....LOL

I also run and swim on off days from lifting. We heated our pool overnight so I could swim for 2 days even though the weather is a bit gloomy.

Tomorrow is a leg/shoulder day at the gym for me!

I love meeting other lifters!
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and just starting ...5 x 5 stronglifts (week 2). Does anyone know what my caloric intake should be? I'm still losing weight (about 15 pounds to go) and at around 1500 calories. Thanks for any input!!
  • fitagent68
    fitagent68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am interested. I just turned 48, not lifting much, just beginning the Body for life program to get back into fitness. I have a lot of weight to lose also. After researching, the body for life program is something that will fit into my work schedule. I have about 65 lbs to lose. A community would be great.
  • modmom1
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I may try something a little less strenuous on the shoulder than OHP though....LOL

I'm working through an injured rotator cuff right now. Man, shoulder injuries are painful!! I'm off the OHP but I find that upright rows are very doable. Let me know what substitutions are working for you.

Thanks Sublime, I'll look into finding someone with experience
    amyn73 wrote: »
    I'm 43 and just starting ...5 x 5 stronglifts (week 2). Does anyone know what my caloric intake should be? I'm still losing weight (about 15 pounds to go) and at around 1500 calories. Thanks for any input!!
    Hi amyn73! Have fun with stronglifts! You can calculate your TDEE to help you with your calorie intake. Check out www.IIFYM.com for the calculator. Very useful even if you don't want to track macros.
    Jen2133 wrote: »
    49 years young and just started lifting in the last 6 months. My profile pic is from May 7th this year (3 weeks ago) and is from my first Figure competition where I placed 2nd!
    Wow!! Congratulations!!
    fitagent68 wrote: »
    I have a lot of weight to lose also. After researching, the body for life program is something that will fit into my work schedule. I have about 65 lbs to lose. A community would be great.
    Welcome! Finding a program that fits into your schedule is half the battle.
  • luluinca
    Options
    modmom1 wrote: »
    luluinca wrote: »

I'm working through an injured rotator cuff right now. Man, shoulder injuries are painful!! I'm off the OHP but I find that upright rows are very doable. Let me know what substitutions are working for you.

I've been doing a lot of rows as well but I also started floor presses so my elbows don't go below what would be the bench if I were doing bench press. I do a lot of lat and front raises gradually increasing the weight and also farmer's walks with a 10 lb KB on raised arm and a 35 lb on lowered arm.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone! I will be 42 in July. I've lost 55 lbs over the last 4 years or so and aim to lose another 15-25 lbs.

I have been lifting for a while. Used machines off and on but began doing SL 5x5 3 months ago and love it! I began SL with my teenage son, who injured his shoulder (unrelated to lifting) then the hubs began to do it with me, had to quit due to back injury. I am still kicking it alone and hope to continue for a long time!

The results have been wonderful on my 5'1" frame! I have always been very curvy, typical hour glass with a LARGE booty, tiny waist, thick thighs, and wide shoulders. Since lifting, I have noticed:
    -hips are not holding fat like they used too and have become more streamline to my thighs.
    -back & shoulders are awesome and defined (although I do row a lot as well)
    -stomach, seems like abs showing is a possibility (O.O). I work abs about 3-4 times a week, besides rowing & SL. I know I have abs it's just getting the fat gone to see them. LOL
    -butt is firming up and lifting nicely. I have accepted it will never go away. It's always been my biggest ***kitten***et and bane.

Lifting has definitely changed my fitness enjoyment and made my goals seem more attainable. So excited for the support!!

Eta: cuz I can!!
  • modmom1
    Options
    Great to have you join us Megemrj!! You're done so well so far, keep it up! I love all that lifting has done and is doing to your shape.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Jen2133 wrote: »
    49 years young and just started lifting in the last 6 months.

I still enjoy running a bit (30-40 minutes), but strength training has been the turning point in my weight loss plan. My profile pic is from May 7th this year (3 weeks ago) and is from my first Figure competition where I placed 2nd!

49 years old and only lifting for 6 months and you look like that?? You are a goddess.
    fitagent68 wrote: »
    I am interested. I just turned 48, not lifting much, just beginning the Body for life program to get back into fitness. I have a lot of weight to lose also. After researching, the body for life program is something that will fit into my work schedule. I have about 65 lbs to lose. A community would be great.

I just finished Body for Life a few weeks ago. My profile pic is at week 10. I'm trying out Bill's new program now called Back to Fit. Very similar but circuit training.
  • jlbs75
    jlbs75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm nearly 41 and am a novice at lifting. I do some dumbbell workouts, only workouts that I see in my Skimble app. I would love to learn from you ladies. I'm v. Short (5foot) and carrying at least 10kgs too much. Any tips? I don't have a personal trainer, but I do go to the gym sometimes. Needs to be more frequent!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    @jlbs75

Hi fellow shortie! 5'1 41 years here. Good for you trying something new. I don't have a personal trainer either. I do a lot of research, watching, and reading on lifting. Both in the forums, YouTube, and rest of the web. I'm not obsessed. Just want to make sure I'm doing it safely, and I'm informed.

There is a gamut of structured programs you can try as a newbie. I've been lifting for a while and began with a trainer just to get comfortable. It was a Mother's Day special or something. Did wonders for my confidence. My hubs is very knowledgeable but I don't take criticism from him very well so the trainer helped me stay married! LOL

When I chose SL 5x5, I wanted the overall body workout compound lifting does. The machines helped me build muscle but the compounds definitely changed the shape. I review form videos constantly to make sure I'm doing it safely and properly (deadlifts & barbell rows, not pretty). There is an app for your phone that guides you through the workouts, keeps up with your progress, and links to form videos.

I go to the gym, most days, and I have a full weight room at home. Funny, been married 20+ years and the hubs had it before then. I never touched it until SLs.

Sorry so long: basically research to see what appeals to you, watch videos to make sure to stay safe, and have goals.

Lifting has helped me retain the muscle I already built while losing fat.

As always YMMV.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Please count me in. I'm 48 - I used to lift up until a couple of years ago. I loved what it did for my body and confidence, but bad form got me a rotator cuff injury!

So I'm ready to begin again. I need to get a good 20 pounds off my 5'4 frame as well, and I know that weight training will help me get the weight off, and look and feel better.

And if anyone has some good information on lifting with a healing shoulder, please let me know. It's actually a little sore right now as I pulled something a few weeks ago, so I know I need to begin the physical therapy stretches and exercises again. And as much pulling, as pushing.

I'm going to research strong lifts some more, but may just begin with NRWLFW and the movements I learned in PT.

Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • luluinca
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @WithWhatsLeft I spent 10 weeks in PT for what they called Frozen Shoulder with a possible small rotator cuff tear. I do the therapy at home still and at the gym. I spend at least 15 minutes or more a day just doing that.

I've gradually been able to add a few things back into my workouts but at much lower weight than I was doing before my injury.

I do a lot with 8 lb weights, lateral raises, fwd raises, bicep curls/pistols/overhand and then do a lot of shoulder rotations with the cable machines as well as pull downs and flys. I just added back in incline shoulder press but only with 17.5 DB's and a floor press with the bar only. I also do a farmer's walk with one arm raised w/only a 10 lb Kettlebell and the other arm down with a 35 lb KB and then switch.

I started swimming again yesterday, doing backstroke, but I could feel it so only went 10 min swimming then 5 min treading water, then repeated that 3 times for a total of 45 mins. I didn't feel any worse for wear afterwards so I hope it was more therapeutic than stressful on the shoulder.

Hope some of this helps!
  • klaak
    klaak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!! After just recovering from surgery, I am ready to fulfill my goal of training for a bikini competition. I have a lot to learn and hoping to learn from y'all :D on how to do this right!! I would love to be a part of a community where I can get some help and accountability. I do not have access to a gym but I have a treadmill and free weights at home that I use.

Here's a little background: I am 42 and have always exercised moderately, though I do have a desk job so relatively sedentary during the day. The past 4-5 years or so I have really struggled with my weight and body composition (haven't gained more than 8lbs but my flabbiness and fat is out of control), so I have increased my exercise to include HIIT and more serious weight training. I have to admit I really struggle with how to design these routines to be effective, I feel I have tried so many over the years and not had success with anything (Split routines, circuit training, HIIT circuits, running, low weight/high reps, heavy weight/slow low reps, BodyRock routines, beachbody workouts like P90X, insanity, ChaLean Extreme, etc). I would really like to train for a bikini competition but am overwhelmed with "how", especially since I am confused since nothing has worked for me in the past. It's not even like I lose a little weight, then gain it back....I just don't lose anything and only gain and get flabbier :(

Some challenges I face are: 1) my body does not seem to build muscle or keep muscle tone, muscles are still flabby and loose even with consistent training and increasing challenge 2) I do not lose lbs or inches with exercise no matter what I try with diet/exercise (I lift heavier weights and can run longer/faster than ever yet I am heavier, bigger and flabbier than ever) 3) I have been diagnosed with hashimoto's hypothyroid 4) I suffer from water retention for unknown reasons (I suspect it's hormones but haven't yet found anything that relieves this) and this definitely gets in the way of weight loss results and how I feel/look 5) I have tried various ways of eating and this hasn't seemed to be effective either: low carb, high protein with veggies and low fruit, small frequent meals, 3 meals no snacks, etc.

Would love some direction on what programs have worked for you that I can try....I just feel like I haven't found the right thing or else something is REALLY wrong with my body :(
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Worked on my back today followed by a 30 minute run.
    My goal is to do those darned pull ups unassisted!!