Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Taking a stand against my trainers diet

12346»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    The real answer is No, but my answer is this..
    I believe that carbs should be eating 45 min before and after working out. You need fuel to work out, and I believe you need something to repair your muscles after you work out.

Its hard for me imagine that eating all of your carbs at 9am, that you would have plenty of energy to work out at 9pm. Again just my 2cents. .but I bet everybody will say it doesn't matter what time you eat carbs.

As an N=1, I run best (that is, without reflux or other gastrointestinal issue) if I eat late the night before and run fasted early morning. There's usually about a 7 hr difference. I have yet to have a problem with energy even on long runs where theoretically I should be bonking at any minute.

But I'm not sprinting or lifting heavy, either. I lift later in the day, after lunch. Perhaps I'd feel like I was low on energy if I were doing short term high intensity exercise instead of long term low intensity exercise.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Have you done it the reverse? Eat carbs at 7am and run 7 hrs later at 2pm?
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Drop bodyfat and you will see the abs. Takes time and hard work. Weight is just a number- its BF that tells you something.
    And squats can be done with a kettle bell held in front of the body and nothing behind the neck.
  • johnkaiser257
    johnkaiser257 Posts: 2 Member
    As a personal trainer myself it's always frustrating when things like this happen because it often ends up giving ALL of us a bad rep! Not taking injuries into account is inexcusable. But as far as the diet goes, if you're still interested in working with a trainer talk with them about their diet "philosophy" on the first day, we all have them! Find someone who you decide is trustworthy and STICK WITH IT! I can't tell you how many times I've had clients lose only a pound or two the first month, as I figure out what works for them and what doesn't, then proceed to burn much more fat in the coming months. All in all, unless you do plan on competing in bodybuilding or fitness competitions you can get a lot of info on here and bodybuilding.com and may not need a trainer. Find what works for you, whether it's on your own or with a trusted trainer and work the plan. Last note: for my last "cut" I only did cardio once a day while doing resistance training an additional five days and came in leaner and fuller than ever. Trainers often have a method to their madness, not defending the guy who jeopardized your neck just trainers in general :)
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    We don't convert fat to muscle.

No, but you most certainly can lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

not really.

Isn't that what happens during a recomp?

I know that isn't the case with the OP, who is eating in a deficit, but if you're eating at maintenance and doing a progressive lifting program, isn't it possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time?

Or am I wrong about how recomp works?

You are not wrong. You are absolutely right. It is possible to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Zella_11 wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    We don't convert fat to muscle.

No, but you most certainly can lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

not really.

Isn't that what happens during a recomp?

I know that isn't the case with the OP, who is eating in a deficit, but if you're eating at maintenance and doing a progressive lifting program, isn't it possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time?

Or am I wrong about how recomp works?

You are not wrong. You are absolutely right. It is possible to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously.

+1

To quote Eric Helms.....
    "...recomposition is normal. It happens – less so in trained individuals, but much more in untrained, new lifters. "