Will I gain weight from 5 fudge bars?

Options
124»

Replies

• Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »
    Bullshizzle. I had my wisdom teeth out AND a bad root canal pulled. My mouth was literally stitches. I ate yogurt, soup and jello. So go ahead and eat 5 more bars and try to justify it. It doesn't fly with me. If you gain weight don't whine about it.

Unnecessarily harsh. If OP is not over her maintenance calorie limit, she will not gain weight. That's awesome that you could eat a variety of foods after oral surgery, but not everyone is you. Jeesh.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The quality of the calorie will store differently in your body. you won't gain weight but the quality is much more important. Why eat empty calories? Every time you eat is a time to add nutrients to your body, and make it strong and healthy! :)

:#
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Here most people usually get them removed when they are around 18-23 yrs old to prevent them from disrupting expensive orthodontic work. I know people in other countries don't get braces as commonly as we do here in the USA ( I'm not saying every country goes without braces but I do know it's not as common in other places)
    I had all 4 removed in one day and then had the molars in front of each of them removed two weeks later to prevent the teeth from crowding and ruining the work i had done. I had stitches and ate soft foods for a week or so. But every person will handle these types of procedures differently. Some will be fine the next day and others take longer to recover. Each situation may be different, some have impacted teeth and others don't.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need protein for healing not sugar. Have a protein shake.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »
    Bullshizzle. I had my wisdom teeth out AND a bad root canal pulled. My mouth was literally stitches. I ate yogurt, soup and jello. So go ahead and eat 5 more bars and try to justify it. It doesn't fly with me. If you gain weight don't whine about it.

Please explain how she will gain weight if she eats 400 calories in fudge bars when those calories will bring her to 1200.
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ah, have actually looked this up now.

It seems to be related to preventive removal of teeth that haven't erupted yet, or are unable to erupt. That's apparently a major surgery with a lot of possible complications but is routinely done in the USA.

We don't do that in the UK. We wait and see. If the tooth erupts, and develops problems, it's a straightforward extraction. If it never erupts it's a non issue. Three of mine erupted, got cavities because of their bad position and got pulled. The fourth is still there under the gum, minding its own business. I doubt it'll come out now, I've missed my chance to develop wisdom.

I'm English and had an impacted wisdom tooth start creating havoc just before my wedding. Obviously, I didn't want to have it out just before the most photographed day of my life. Fortunately, my husband to be's best friend was a dentist and packed my tooth with with cocaine fibre (or some such thing)

After the wedding, I had to be referred to the dental hospital to have it (and the other 3) removed. They did all 4 at the same time. When they got into it, two of the other's were also impacted.

Under local anaesthetic, the dentist was practically kneeling on my chest to get them out. Yes, the unimpacted one came out easy - the removal of the other three was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. (And I've had 2 9lb plus babies)

I looked like a panda with mumps for more than 2 weeks after the extraction. I couldn't open my mouth. I couldn't speak. I didn't want to do anything for ages. I walked past my uncle in a store after the first week and he didn't recognise me. It was horrific.

Be thankful yours were easy!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had a difficult horribly impacted one removed last year with some of the bone removed. Lived on nothing but liquids for the first few days, then milkshakes, bowls of milk and cookies (had them soak in the milk until they were very soft), cereal baby food in milk (cerelac), ice cream...etc. You get creative when you can't eat normally for a whole month. I did not gain weight (beyond the initial puffy panda cheeks) although the vast majority of my foods had sugar and dairy. I actually lost weight. Don't worry, as long as you don't go over your maintenance calories you aren't likely to gain weight.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    It bewilders me that people still don't seem to understand how calories work even with the millions of posts on MFP regarding this. It's like some people think certain types of food have magical powers that make you gain weight even though you don't go over your calorie goal and that other foods will make you lose weight. It's nothing to do with types of food, it's less calories in than calories burned.

You could eat 15 of those 80 cal fudge bars in a day and meet your goal of 1200 calories, as long as you don't eat anything else.
  • GeckosRachel
    GeckosRachel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 2 weeks ago. I lived on porridge, yogurt, soup and rice pudding. Try to vary your diet but it is difficult.