Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    If you add a shake of salt to your PB2, you'll notice a difference in taste. I've gotten away from sandwiches entirely since it's the bread that has all the calories.

Aunt Millie's light breads have only 35 calories per slice. A ham sandwich with mustard can be a very low calorie option.

True, but ham & mustard =/= peanut butter & jelly. :)

Not even close.

But 2 tablespoons of Jif on Aunt Millies for 260 calories = a win.

@Carlos_421 (and anybody else) - when you have the calories to spare, try peanut butter on a hamburger (I'm not kidding). You'll never want another one without it!

Oo I've heard of that but never tried it!
    There's a burger place in Birmingham, AL that has a peanut butter burger.

I imagine it would be like a satay burger without the spicy. I'm down with that. And with the spicy.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you add a shake of salt to your PB2, you'll notice a difference in taste. I've gotten away from sandwiches entirely since it's the bread that has all the calories.

Aunt Millie's light breads have only 35 calories per slice. A ham sandwich with mustard can be a very low calorie option.

Not even close.

@Carlos_421 (and anybody else) - when you have the calories to spare, try peanut butter on a hamburger (I'm not kidding). You'll never want another one without it!

I love a good cheeseburger with the works. Does peanut butter go with pickles, onions, ketchup, etc?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Not even close.

I love a good cheeseburger with the works. Does peanut butter go with pickles, onions, ketchup, etc?

Peanut butter and pickles is awesome.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Not even close.

Peanut butter and pickles is awesome.

I've heard that and have been too chicken to try, but at least I know it's a thing. But on a hamburger with ketchup, onions and mustard? I'm gonna need some confirmation before I try it! :smiley:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Not even close.

I put it on a burger dressed like I'd dress any other burger - mayo, ketchup, onions, lettuce, pickles, cheese, etc. - even bacon sometimes. It's unbelievably good.

First time I tried it was many years ago at a small diner. I was dubious about it, but the waitress asked "Do you like peanut butter?". I replied that I loved it, and she said "Tell you what, then - if you don't like the PB burger, I'll give you anything else on the menu for free". So it was worth a try - and I've loved them ever since.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Not even close.

I put it on a burger dressed like I'd dress any other burger - mayo, ketchup, onions, lettuce, pickles, cheese, etc. - even bacon sometimes. It's unbelievably good.

First time I tried it was many years ago at a small diner. I was dubious about it, but the waitress asked "Do you like peanut butter?". I replied that I loved it, and she said "Tell you what, then - if you don't like the PB burger, I'll give you anything else on the menu for free". So it was worth a try - and I've loved them ever since.

You've convinced me! Next chance I get I'll try it!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Mm...peanut butter bacon burger...
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Mm...peanut butter bacon burger...

My thoughts exactly! Next time we have burgers I definitely need to swap my cheese for PB and bacon...
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a PB&J for lunch. First time in a long while. I used 1 serving of Jif Naturals Peanutbutter, 1 serving of Smuckers Honey Sweetened Strawberry Fruit Spread and 1 Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Sandwich Slim. So good!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    There are different brands of all natural peanut butters, just read the labels to find one that contains only peanuts and maybe salt. You will have to stir them the first time you open the jar since the oil rises to the top, although some people recommend turning the jar upside down for some time before opening.

To name a specific brand, Smuckers makes a good one. :)

Yep, I like the Adam's "all natural" brand someone else mentioned, just peanuts and salt. It has a good inch or so of oil on the top, but I empty the entire jar into a bowl and just beat it with a spoon until all the oil is mixed in, then pour it back into the jar and store it in the fridge. It's a bit messy doing it that way, but it doesn't seem to separate out again!

Also, has anyone tried peanut butter sandwiches with chopped onion added? My hubby got me onto that and it sounded gross, but it's sooo good! I hear that PB and bacon is also good, but haven't tried that. Like @Linzon, I don't eat sandwiches much these days - in my case, because the bread just has too many calories to be worth it even though I luuuurve bread! (I've actually never had a PB&J sandwich, but that oatmeal does sound good so I might have to try something similar! :) )

Smuckers jelly us the best
    Not picky about pb brand. I don't usually eat ut every day.

Unless its my only protein source...shortterm
    pb is usually a treat for me.

Try making your own.
    I nade it once in blender or bullet
  • yagirlmella
    yagirlmella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really miss honey roasted peanut butter and jelly on Sarah lee artisan bread
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    webbz92 wrote: »
    I've always been fond of Pb & jelly sandwiches. However, since I've been making an effort to eat healthy and eat clean, I'm having a hard time finding healthy options. Ive started making half sandwiches instead of using two slices of bread. I've changed to Daves Killer whole wheat bread. I've tried Pb2, not very fond of the taste, though. So far I haven't found a reasonably healthy peanut butter or jelly. What brands do y'all use? The fewer ingredients the better and preferably no artificial or man made ingredients/ chemicals.

Shame you're not in the UK or you could get the Meridian brand peanut butter I get which only has peanuts on the ingredients. Or Whole Earth. You could look on Ebay for it of course. But you'll definitely have nuts'n more in the US. But all that said, this guy gets it:
    This is where clean eating turns into a train wreck. Unless you're slathering on the jelly to some ungodly extent then there is nothing wrong with PB&J if it fits your calories and macros.

There are people who have gotten into great shape not obsessing over this 'clean eating' rubbish. You're just punishing yourself and making the task harder than it needs to. You don't get some sort of extra bonus for getting into shape by avoiding food you want in comparison to someone who gets there by eating what they want in moderation. All it gets you is a sense of deprivation and an urge to binge eat that you're constantly struggling against that you'll probably eventually give in to.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can take rolls and scoop out the guts to cut calories. You can also find like 45 calorie bread in the supermarket. Sara Lee brand comes to mind, as does Arnold's light bread.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm among those who prefer PB that's just peanuts and some salt, because to me they seriously taste "peanuttier" than the kinds with added sugar. But added sugar by itself is not unhealthy if it still fits your macros for the day. And the fat that comes from the peanuts themselves is the HEALTHY kind. It's the fat that comes from the added goop like palm kernel oil, that's not so. They're really only there to keep you from having to stir.
    Do you have a Costco membership? Kirkland PB is just peanuts and salt, and they even just switched it to organic recently (though of course that means you get two *slightly* smaller jars than before, for the same price).
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    webbz92 wrote: »
    I've always been fond of Pb & jelly sandwiches. However, since I've been making an effort to eat healthy and eat clean, I'm having a hard time finding healthy options. Ive started making half sandwiches instead of using two slices of bread. I've changed to Daves Killer whole wheat bread. I've tried Pb2, not very fond of the taste, though. So far I haven't found a reasonably healthy peanut butter or jelly. What brands do y'all use? The fewer ingredients the better and preferably no artificial or man made ingredients/ chemicals.

Whole earth peanut butter

1o9e7aruc7vb.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whole-Earth-Peanut-Sunflower-Pumpkin/dp/B016OW3Z04#immersive-view_1465079549056
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat it now?

That sounds LOVELY by the way!
  • yagirlmella
    yagirlmella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat it now?

That sounds LOVELY by the way!

The calorie count is higher than my meal goals for 1200 per day, I would have to eat only an apple for breakfast if I wanted to eat that for lunch☹️
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Does peanut butter go with pickles, onions, ketchup, etc?

You've never had a peanut butter and pickle sandwich? (If you're taking it for lunch, make sure to pack the pickles separately so you can add them at the last minute to keep the bread from getting soggy.

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @Carlos421 which one has 30? I saw an 80 calorie bread on their website but not one with just 30. Still, 80 is low, so I'll look around for it.

Joseph's Pita bread is very good with pb &J and it's only 60 calories! Very yummy and filling!

• theestars
    theestars Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter's high in calorie - if you can't resist eating a small amount, don't eat it!
    That's my weakness. If I have peanut butter, I always end up eating too much.