Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Will You Let it Eat You Alive?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited May 2016
    My main thing was - it's not worth obsessing over IMHO because you just never know. I frankly don't want to live past 100 unless I am not fragile, and am able to have a robust life without fear of breaking a hip or living with chronic arthritis pain. That is why I am working on taking care of myself, but it's not an obsession...if that makes sense. It WAS an obsession with me previously.

I have no idea of my actual genetic history. Both my biological grandmother and my biological mother died at very young ages due to tragic accidents. My grandfather was arthritic and crippled by the time he was in his 70s, but no idea if that was because he was depressed, sitting in a chair all day after getting out of bed in the morning, overweight, smoking cigars and drinking too much, or simply genetic. My bio father also died in an accident. I didn't know my grandparents on his side. So it's a total crap shoot for me.

I want to enjoy my life NOW, every day, to the fullest I can. And that means - taking it one day at a time, being better today than I was yesterday, worrying about tomorrow very little. Tomorrow is promised to no one. So, enjoy today.

I understand wanting to grow your own food because you like how it tastes. I wish I could, but realistically, I know my limitations - but previously I felt the only way I could BE SAFE and ENJOY LIFE was if I became an Earth Mama and shunned every possible thing that Monsanto has its ugly claws in....but that's not realistic FOR ME. And it was making me crazy and somewhat depressed.
  • wizzybeth
    Parenthetical addition: The reference in my OP re: my dad's father is about my adopted dad's father - I was adopted when I was a toddler
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2016
    I believe that stress via trying to overdo being healthy, is what caused that woman; to develop cancer. I always say that "Too much and/or too little, of anything/everything positive; is ALWAYS negative"!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Nvm, off topic.

@DorkothyParker Nice post!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    You op are awesome! I wish more people would wake up and see the truth. Eat a well balanced wide variety diet and do your best, there is no need for the anti sugar anti carb fear mongering and it shows how feeble minded people really are. I'm glad you've saw the light OP!

I wouldn't sweepingly call people feeble minded - just influenced one way or the other. If you want to be anti this or that for yourself, have at it...but I have a problem when people become radical, aggressive evangelists about it, lol

What makes someone a radical, aggressive evangelist? I don't necessarily disagree with your OP that people need to not let things consume them when it comes to diet, but I think it's wrong to limit that idea to things like toxins, organic, juicing, etc, or the notion that it's the people who follow those paths that are the radical, aggressive evangelists. I would think anyone who is pushing their personal views on food on others or insisting that their point of the view is the only correct one, especially when the other person is saying "thanks, but no thanks," would be considered an aggressive evangelist. "Radical" seems to be more of a subjective term based on one's personal beliefs about what the person is suggesting, and what might seem extreme to one person is perfectly plausible and sustainable to another.

• wizzybeth
    edited May 2016
    kgeyser wrote: »
    You op are awesome! I wish more people would wake up and see the truth. Eat a well balanced wide variety diet and do your best, there is no need for the anti sugar anti carb fear mongering and it shows how feeble minded people really are. I'm glad you've saw the light OP!

I wouldn't sweepingly call people feeble minded - just influenced one way or the other. If you want to be anti this or that for yourself, have at it...but I have a problem when people become radical, aggressive evangelists about it, lol

What makes someone a radical, aggressive evangelist? I don't necessarily disagree with your OP that people need to not let things consume them when it comes to diet, but I think it's wrong to limit that idea to things like toxins, organic, juicing, etc, or the notion that it's the people who follow those paths that are the radical, aggressive evangelists. I would think anyone who is pushing their personal views on food on others or insisting that their point of the view is the only correct one, especially when the other person is saying "thanks, but no thanks," would be considered an aggressive evangelist. "Radical" seems to be more of a subjective term based on one's personal beliefs about what the person is suggesting, and what might seem extreme to one person is perfectly plausible and sustainable to another.

If it's all but consuming you - then it's radical. I guess if you do what I did - constantly try to educate everyone around you to the point of annoying folks - I'd call that being a bit radical.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited June 2016
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

I would say that when someone continues to bring up the subject or create opportunities to say "don't eat it! It'll kill you!! Toxins!! Remove all sugar from your diet!!" and continues to boldly proclaim these things as though they're true and eliminating what they did is necessary for health and/or weight loss despite all the voices saying that it isn't necessary and providing them with credible sources of information which demonstrate the error in their claims, that person is acting as a radical evangelist for their cause.

In contrast, being ready and willing to counter the false claims of the misinformed would not be radical. It would be responsive.
    There's a difference between creating opportunities to spread one's beliefs and being ready to counter misinformation for the sake of those who may read/hear the claims made and think that such drastic measures as eliminating an entire food group is necessary for weight loss and good health.

I've also never seen a thread where the OP implores the masses to start eating sugar and/or processed foods.
    Granted, I have seen lots of people (myself included) say that moderation is all that's necessary and that there's no need to go to extremes or elimination diets. However, these statements are always in response to some claim that everyone must eliminate [insert demonized food here] in order to not get fat and/or die.

I agree with those, that demonize; sugar free gummi bears!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    This conversation rocks.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Back in the '80s I was the same as OP until I realised I was going to be the fittest corpse in the graveyard.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    2essie wrote: »
    Back in the '80s I was the same as OP until I realised I was going to be the fittest corpse in the graveyard.

But OP is saying to be healthy, enjoy life and not sweat the small stuff; she's not saying to do everything you can to live as long as possible
  • CycleCoast42
    CycleCoast42 Posts: 20 Member
    Someone has to be concerned about the future of Our Planet Earth for our children's children. There is no Planet B. One person can do their part in their own way, and if we all try we can leave a better planet to the future generations. Educate yourself, buying Organic is not just about avoiding Cancer.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Someone has to be concerned about the future of Our Planet Earth for our children's children. There is no Planet B. One person can do their part in their own way, and if we all try we can leave a better planet to the future generations. Educate yourself, buying Organic is not just about avoiding Cancer.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember anyone saying that he or she is NOT concerned about our planet.
    Many people simply do not have the resources to always buy organic. I think that fact was discussed in the OP.

In fact, she discussed how challenging it is to always TRY to do the "right" thing. Are we reading the same thread?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

That's one reason I don't have children. It's also a smaller part of why I don't eat meat.
  • ksamp39
    ksamp39 Posts: 20 Member
    You could eat the cleanest diet in the world work out till your blue in the face and still get hit by a bus, die of cancer etc etc.....in my opinion and my experience that perfect weight bf% dosent exist if your obsessed and that's a shame :(
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I would say that when someone continues to bring up the subject or create opportunities to say "don't eat it! It'll kill you!! Toxins!! Remove all sugar from your diet!!" and continues to boldly proclaim these things as though they're true and eliminating what they did is necessary for health and/or weight loss despite all the voices saying that it isn't necessary and providing them with credible sources of information which demonstrate the error in their claims, that person is acting as a radical evangelist for their cause.

Here's a simple test I learned. Ask the person, "What would it take to change your mind about X?" If the answer is "Nothing, my mind's made up," then they've left their critical reasoning behind and are operating from emotion.

• wizzybeth

My biggest concern over buying organic is the lack of follow up from the government to assure me that when I am paying $X amount of dollars for something that SAYS it is organic, I can know that it is 100% organic. I used to pay more for Horizon milk, because it was supposedly 100% organic. Then Dean's Foods took over and surprise...it may not actually truly really be organic. And I cannot buy at a farmer's market all the time and even that I don't know if they're REALLY organic or not. Come on...people have lied to make a profit for years.

I'm not against buying organic when I can, and when I can afford it, but I am against being duped into buying psuedo-organic food.

Right now the only "organic" labeled food I buy on purpose is Stonyfield Farms Organic Yogurt, not because I care that it's organic, but it's the ONLY yogurt I actually LIKE that does not have artificial sweeteners in it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

My biggest concern over buying organic is the lack of follow up from the government to assure me that when I am paying $X amount of dollars for something that SAYS it is organic, I can know that it is 100% organic. I used to pay more for Horizon milk, because it was supposedly 100% organic. Then Dean's Foods took over and surprise...it may not actually truly really be organic. And I cannot buy at a farmer's market all the time and even that I don't know if they're REALLY organic or not. Come on...people have lied to make a profit for years.

I'm not against buying organic when I can, and when I can afford it, but I am against being duped into buying psuedo-organic food.

Right now the only "organic" labeled food I buy on purpose is Stonyfield Farms Organic Yogurt, not because I care that it's organic, but it's the ONLY yogurt I actually LIKE that does not have artificial sweeteners in it.

I've seen a lot of posts on MFP from people that seem to think that all produce at a Farmer's Market is grown organically. In my experience most of it is not. I even had one experience with a farmer at the market who said her produce was grown organically then later in the conversation said she used Sevin. Honestly IDK if Sevin is approved as organic by the FDA but she said she thought the definition of organic was "home grown".