Random: Peanut butter before bed to help with weight loss??

Options
I read something yesterday that said that if you eat a spoonful of peanut butter before bed, it helps aid in weight loss.
I have tried to find a source to agree or debunk this, but haven't been able to.
Have anyone heard of this? Tried this?

Replies

• tautclothing
    tautclothing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is always touted as better with milk, but as to before bedtime, not sure:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135506801
  • amandaelizabeth81
    amandaelizabeth81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Out of Woman's Day magazine?

I dont even know where I saw it, I think possibly on Facebook or something. It seems too good to be true so it likely is!
  • amandaelizabeth81
    amandaelizabeth81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds like BS to me.
    Calorie deficit is what leads to weight loss, doesn't matter what or when you eat.

That's what I've had success with so far but anything as yummy as peanut butter that could potentially help was worth a question! LOL
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is always touted as better with milk, but as to before bedtime, not sure:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135506801

the OP in that thread you linked was asking if PB & Milk was better than Whey powder and milk. The replies were : No.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    LOL this is what people usually tell people trying to gain weight to do. Peanut butter is so high in calories for such a small amount.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Unless you're very careful that could lead to weight gain rather than loss. I accidentally ate 450 calories of peanut butter as a snack a few days ago...peanut butter is not my friend.
  • mandafr
    mandafr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you can eat what you want--including peanut butter! I have a PB sandwich most of the time as a before bedtime snack and it hasn't hindered my weight loss. Its really easy to overestimate what a tablespoon of PB is though, so just make sure you weigh and log it!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Unless you're very careful that could lead to weight gain rather than loss. I accidentally ate 450 calories of peanut butter as a snack a few days ago...peanut butter is not my friend.

2 tablespoons (32 grams) makes a decent spoonful for only 190 calories.
    "Accidental" overconsumption is much less likely if you weight the food before you eat it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the only thing that will help with weight loss. If eating some peanut butter at night helps you create that deficit then great. But there is nothing magical about Peanut Butter at night or any food at any time of the day.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, I wish a serving size was 1/2 a cup not 15 grams lol :D:D
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It has to fit in your calories. Some people (or others at various points in the weight loss journey) find themselves waking up in the middle of the night hungry. Allowing enough calories/macros to fit in a SMALL high protein or high fat snack before bed can prevent this, probably because it's enough to keep your digestion happy without giving you heartburn.

But there's nothing special about peanut butter.