Bacon is not worth it

Options

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I never thought id say that, but bqcon is not worth it. Too many calories. Im on a low calorie diet and 4 pieces of bacon has nearly 500 calories. Thats not enough food for that much of my daily allowance.

So not true! lol I do like me some BLTs, but it's getting to the point where bacon is too damn salty. I have to go low sodium or it's a no go. But 500 calories doesn't seem right. I'm pretty sure that's not correct because I would not eat 4 slice of bacon if it were that high and I do eat four slices of bacon.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe try training yourself to eat less meat, to eat leaner meat. I have a cooked breakfast - 1 slice bacon, egg, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms and two slices of bread. Log the calories and I get the flavour of bacon without needing to have multiple slices. Cooked breakfast is definitely worth it to me and it is a post run treat
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LOL Yeah I find soooo many foods either way under or over. It's insane I try to check packages. I also try to check my micros a lot and when people don't put those in it kinda aggravates me too. argh
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The bacon I use has 500 kcal in a whole 150 g package...the entry you used is way off... I also prepare it in the oven so no extra calories there :)

Please tell me how other methods are more likely to lessen calories? Do people often cook their bacon with grease/butter really??? I cook mine on a pan(nothing added) and blot out a lot of grease with paper towels. It aggravates my tummy(no gallbladder :( ).
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can buy diced bacon here, so just little cubes of bacon without the fat. In 100g there's 175 cals, I usually eat 50g or 75g. I fry it in a nonstick pan with onion, mushroom, an egg (sometimes I add a little coconut oil), add spinach and tomato and because it's diced I taste the bacon in every mouthful! This is around 280 cals for the whole breakfast...
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    That's high calorie bacon! The bacon I get is 56 cals a slice....

second this
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You know, after 5 pages, I think we've established the OP had his bacon counts a little wrong.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It's also worth mentioning that bacon can be very different from country to country. The US almost entirely has belly bacon - really quite a fatty part of the pig. Here in the UK, we use back bacon - a much larger pure meat area and far easier to remove the fat along the edges. So, you go from ~50-60 cals for a slice for the ordinary back bacon, to around 35 cals for a slice with fat removed. of course, the flavour is in the fat, so it's a case of how much you want a bit of bacon, and whether you want to reduce the calories as much as possible in order to have it, or whether you have it as it comes, and simply accept that bacon is a treat worth the calories! A Sunday morning bacon buttie is the best thing!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You know, after 5 pages, I think we've established the OP had his bacon counts a little wrong.

Are you sure? I think the jury is still out... Has OP been back or is he in a bacon induced coma somewhere?
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I never thought id say that, but bqcon is not worth it. Too many calories. Im on a low calorie diet and 4 pieces of bacon has nearly 500 calories. Thats not enough food for that much of my daily allowance.

how about just two slices instead of four, cut the bacon slices in half it will full your mind into thinking you have four slices. Secondly perhaps change the brand. Try turkey bacon. If you must have bacon reduce your calorie intake thoughout the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Are you sure? I think the jury is still out... Has OP been back or is he in a bacon induced coma somewhere?

I think probably. I did the same thing, not realizing I should use the cooked weight.

I still think it's overrated -- it doesn't fill me up for the calories, so isn't a great breakfast for me, and it gets raved about more than pretty much any other food when I'd rather just have a really good pork chop (and added to chocolate, which I disapprove of), ;-) but I admit that that initial error in the calories turned me off. I should probably figure out what the real calories are for the bacon I get and then I might start liking it more again!

Christine, this is how I think of a pork chop in the US, with the bone on (from the Kitchn site, not homemade):

sxsbklj9b3u4.jpg

As you can see it is cut more trim around the bone than the other.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The bacon my family purchases (carvers choice) is pretty high calorie (180 cals for 50g uncooked!), and that makes me sad. I am definitely persuading them to got something lower calorie.

Have I been logging my bacon wrong? The nutritional info on the package is for raw bacon, but no one really eats the drippings, so weigh it cooked?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat we've got chops that look like that too. Next time I'm at the store I'll have a look at the labels. I'm not a big pork eater, except for bacon, so am unfamiliar with all the terms. But i know I would have noticed something called 'bacon chops'
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Bacon chops are definitely a thing in the UK and Ireland - they're certainly not pork chops, but rather very thick cut bacon, i.e. smoked/cured meat. It's very traditional round here to serve them with a parsley sauce, cabbage and some boiled new potatoes (often served as colcannon, IIRC). They're lovely, and remind me of my grandmother, who must have been a big fan of them, as I remember having the parsley sauce dish a lot as a child - it always felt to me like a very Irish dish, as my grandparents were from Ireland. I asked my mum about this dish, and her recipe entails first quick frying the chops, then slowly braising the bacon in a little stock (presumably to keep the meat moist, as the cured meat is dryer than a pork chop). It's a little more autumnal than the weather allows for right now, but I am tempted to give it a try pretty soon.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Saw a bunch of school kids out on a picnic during my lunchtime walk. One (extremely large) boy was eating a cup of chocolate pudding with a slice of bacon as his spoon and bragging to all the other (smaller) boys about how good it was. They all sat there with their apples and bananas and watched with mixed disgust and jealousy. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Satiety is individual. Protein and fiber/volume works for me, fat doesn't. (I wish it did, because it is usually tasty.)

My guess with those three breakfasts is that the bacon and egg has more protein. I normally eat a vegetable omelet with some other source of protein (usually something more lean than bacon). Adding the calories from bacon doesn't contribute to my own satiety and to cut out other food enough to add it without increasing the calories would make me more likely to be hungry sooner.

Okay, enough about me! I just always feel defensive about the fact that fat really isn't super satiating to everyone.

Why eggs work better than bacon for me really doesn't make all that much sense, come to think of it -- most likely it's the combination of eggs, vegetables, and some other source of protein. Plan old traditional bacon and eggs would definitely not work for me. (Neither does cold cereal, but I hate it anyway.)

Yes, I seem to be dissing many beloved breakfast foods!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    You're right @lemurcat12 it was the protein that did this. After seeing that show, I am going to try adding more protein to my breakfast, see if it keeps me fuller for longer.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:

Where do get those? I've never seen them here.

I'm in Queensland, maybe it's a Queenslander thing?
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:

Is that like big pork chops that taste like bacon? OMG!

Yep exactly. My kids love them
    randomtai wrote: »
    Bacon chops are potk chops that are cut with pork belly still attached. Like so:

bacon-chops.jpg

That's them!!!! But they are smoked and taste like bacon
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    @christine_72 I just realised, I've only ever seen them at a butcher. Never in a supermarket. I don't know if that makesa difference either