help a girl scared of healthy food!

I've been unhappy with my body for a while, probably because I am a teenager! but other than my appearance I am generally really unfit and unhealthy. I really want to improve my diet but I don't know how... I have selective eating (basically means I've been diagnosed as a fussy eater) and I cannot eat fruit or veg! simply because I'm too scared :( this is a major set back for me trying to become healthier and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/alternatives xx thankyou xx

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    What is it about fruit or veg that scares you? Neither of them will bite you back!!
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Well, what do you eat? And is it all fruit and veg or just some? And is it all forms, so also smoothies or applesauce or something or just when it is in chunks? From my perspective the easiest would be to start with where you are comfortable and then branch out from there, but if you really have a diagnosed eating disorder you should ask a professional, that's just too much for a forum.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I don't know how you can be "scared" of fruits and vegs but sometimes in life we have to do things we don't like, especially if we want to reach a goal.

Seriously, I don't understand this issue and don't know what else to say.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I shall assume that you've never seen a Veggie Tales film. They are nothing to be afraid of. Nevertheless, the big industrial firms are ready to assist you in your needs. Look in the 'health food' section of your grocer and you'll find recently introduced products including kale chips, lentil crisps, dried apricot, and such. You eat it just like junk food, only you need to learn to weigh portions with a digital scale and stop at 1 portion.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I didn't like veggies much because the texture and taste was well, not my style. Once I started using some spices and roasting them in the oven or a cast iron skillet with olive oil it all changed. I now can eat them all like asparagus, cauliflower and brussel sprouts. I try not to eat processed packaged foods because of all junk, salt, sugars and preservatives that they put in them. Same with fruits, I just didn't find the time to buy and eat them. I now enjoy adding fruit & nuts to my "boring" oatmeal in the morning. It is the norm for me to shop and come home with nothing but fresh produce and some lean meat. Give it a shot, good clean eating will grow on you and it will do your diet and body good.
  • Mitramonday
    Mitramonday Posts: 48 Member
    Wow...some slightly harsh comments on here - although if you ARE under 18 you do need to seek professional advice elsewhere! If it's the texture of fruit and veggies that scare you, try 'blasting' them with, initially, a run-of-the-mill liquidiser and then, if you get on with that ok, fork out ('scuse the pun!) for a Nutri-Ninja/NutriBullet.....(or ask for one as a present!). You can make up some really tasty smoothies where you can't even taste the 'goodness' of the kale/broccoli or whatever, because you sweeten it with the fruit and (non-dairy) milk/coconut water. Give it a go and let us know how you get on?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    You are scared of healthy food? I'm not even sure what that means but it might be time to grow up and face your fears. I mean seriously, what do you think is going to happen if you have a pear along side your burger or taco or whatever food you eat now??
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    How about lightly cooking your veggies and liquidizing them into a healthy soup with some low fat chicken stock - you can use your liquidizer to make fruit smoothies too mixed with crushed ice and skimmed milk!
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Here is a good article that may help you. This is from Nerd Fitness. It helped me learn how to like veggies. Is an easy read!
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/09/04/vegetable-haters-how-to-start-eating-vegetables/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I've been unhappy with my body for a while, probably because I am a teenager! but other than my appearance I am generally really unfit and unhealthy. I really want to improve my diet but I don't know how... I have selective eating (basically means I've been diagnosed as a fussy eater) and I cannot eat fruit or veg! simply because I'm too scared :( this is a major set back for me trying to become healthier and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/alternatives xx thankyou xx

If you have been diagnosed with something then you need to see your doctor/therapist for help overcoming this issue. If you are a teenager talk to your parents.
    In the mean time maybe take a multivitamin and/or drink something like Ensure to get some of the stuff you are missing out on.
    Seek professional help though.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

Cook meats and seafood and eggs and beans with carbs in reasonable portions -- for example, Chicken and Rice.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    ... and I cannot eat fruit or veg! simply because I'm too scared ...

Just try them.

Today ... go to the store and buy an apple. Cut the apple into pieces. Take a bite.

If you really don't like it, throw the rest of the apple away. If it's not too bad, take another bite.

Tomorrow ... go to the store and buy a banana. Peel it and take a bite.

if you really don't like it, throw it away. If it is not too bad, take another bite.

Next day ... go to the store and buy a carrot. You know what to do.

Just try them one at a time. No major commitment. Life is not going to come to a screeching halt if you try something and don't like it and have to throw it away. And who knows, maybe you'll find a few things you do like.

I do something similar when I go into tropical areas ... buy an odd-looking fruit from the market and try it. Just recently, I discovered that custard apples (http://www.custardapple.com.au/) are delicious!! My husband wasn't as keen on them, but that's OK ... more for me. :)
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    I really don't get this, afraid of a fruit or a vegetable. Either you need a psychiatrist or you're being disingenuous. What are you living off of now? Heck, even french fries are vegetables. All bread and meat maybe?
  • luuby86
    luuby86 Posts: 10 Member
    I completely get this! As a youngster I hated practically all forms of fruit and veg. As a baby being weaned my mum used to mix mash potato and scrambled egg together and feed it to me. I used to be able to separate the egg and mash in my mouth and just swallow the mash and force the egg back out....
  • Machka9
    luuby86 wrote: »
    I completely get this! As a youngster I hated practically all forms of fruit and veg. As a baby being weaned my mum used to mix mash potato and scrambled egg together and feed it to me. I used to be able to separate the egg and mash in my mouth and just swallow the mash and force the egg back out....

Eggs are not fruit or veggies ... and yet mashed potatoes is a vegetable.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    luuby86 wrote: »

I get this but she's claiming that she's "scared." How the heck can you possibly be "scared" of food? That makes no sense at all and sounds to me melodramatic.
  • Machka9
    ^^

Yes ... I don't like mushrooms I've tried them many times in different ways and ... I don't like mushrooms. But I'm not afraid of them. They don't scare me. I just don't order dishes that contain mushrooms, or if I'm served a dish that has mushrooms, I pick most of them out.

My husband doesn't like peas. Never has, probably never will. He does the same thing I do with the mushrooms ... avoids them if possible or picks most of them out. But there's no fear of the peas.