20 Rep Squat Program

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Honestly at some point I'd taper off adding weight to the DL.

The point isn't to add weight to the DL- typically that weight stays fairly stable- I'd go up till you feel comfortable working and then stop adding weight.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

The point isn't to add weight to the DL- typically that weight stays fairly stable- I'd go up till you feel comfortable working and then stop adding weight.

Really?!?! :'( I'm still trying to progress on ALL of my other lifts while going through this. I only have 3 DL days left in the 6 week rotation, which would put me up to 385 1x5. I really do appreciate the input, but I think I'm going to push through with so few left and try and maximize this time of eating at a surplus LOL
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 12 of 18

Squat: 250x20
    Flat bench: 195x5,5,5,5,2
    Weighted pull-up: 40 3x5
    BW pull-up: ~190x10,7

I don't know if it was just a mental thing of thinking 250 is where this program was going to get tough, or if I was under-fed/under-rested, but 250 felt rough this morning. The last 5 especially. So the next two weeks might just be the longest of my life LOL up to 265 by next Friday, and 280 the Friday after that.

Bench was good for the first few sets...the forth set was a grind...on the 5th set, 3rd rep, the bar hit the safety on the side which threw me off and I wasn't able to recover and push it up from there. I don't know if I would have been able to hit all 5 even if that hadn't happened though, but I think I could have had 3 and maybe 4.

Pull-ups felt surprisingly strong considering the troubles with squat and bench. No real issues with the weighted and the BW felt really light when I got to them. I'd say the first 5-7 were chest to bar moreso than chin. I'm ready for the weekend though.

https://youtu.be/v5X5CbIZ6ZY
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Dude, that was awesome and brutal. Great job!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    Dude, that was awesome and brutal. Great job!

Thanks...I just have to keep telling myself that it's only 5 more lbs than I did the last time. And even 25more lbs doesn't seem like "that" big of a jump. Really shooting for that 275x20. That's my goal for this at least...that and hopefully add a couple lbs of muscle would be nice.

*update on my injuries as well. Groin is probably up to 85-90% now and feeling better everyday which is good. No change in the elbow though which is super annoying :tongue: I think it's holding back my bench the most as that's where I feel the pain the most. It's not enough to stop me from doing it all together, but just enough to remind me that I'm not 100%. I'm just not sure how to even work around it? I might have to drop the weights for a few weeks after this is done, but I just don't know if that is going to be long enough and I don't want completely stop weight training, especially my upper body where I'm already lacking. I just don't know how to even attempt to train around it.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Really?!?! :'( I'm still trying to progress on ALL of my other lifts while going through this. I only have 3 DL days left in the 6 week rotation, which would put me up to 385 1x5. I really do appreciate the input, but I think I'm going to push through with so few left and try and maximize this time of eating at a surplus LOL

really!
    I did a more strip down version-
    1 x 20 Squat
    1 x 20 Supine Over head Extension
    3 x 10 OHP
    3 x 10 BB Row
    1 x 15- Stiff Leg DL
    3 x 12- Bench

I'm missing something but it's Friday and I can't remember off the top of my head.
    I added a few pounds to the OHP, BB and Stiff Leg DL- but generally speaking by week 3-4 I was holding at a fairly consistent weight. If anything I would up one of them and then the rest held solid- and would adjust which weight I upped depending on what was hurting or not- but really the 1 consistent added weight was the squat.

It was very much a play it by year kind of thing- but I was never interested in adding weights to those lifts- only the squat.

I'm cranky I forget to check your videos when I get home- I should just do something novel and subscribe so I remember to look when I check youtube LOL
  • McCloud33
    Options

really!
    1 x 20 Squat
    3 x 10 OHP
    3 x 10 BB Row
    1 x 15- Stiff Leg DL
    3 x 12- Bench

I'm missing something but it's Friday and I can't remember off the top of my head.
    I added a few pounds to the OHP, BB and Stiff Leg DL- but generally speaking by week 3-4 I was holding at a fairly consistent weight. If anything I would up one of them and then the rest held solid- and would adjust which weight I upped depending on what was hurting or not- but really the 1 consistent added weight was the squat.

It was very much a play it by year kind of thing- but I was never interested in adding weights to those lifts- only the squat.

I'm cranky I forget to check your videos when I get home- I should just do something novel and subscribe so I remember to look when I check youtube LOL

@jorocka maybe I should have been doing more of a 3x8 or 3x10 routine with it. I've just been doing 5x5 as thats what I've always done. Looking forward to going back to 5/3/1 when this is over though. I'd love any comments/critiques on the videos. They're basically all up there.

Tell me the truth...just how bad are these last two weeks going to be lol. Looking forward and dreading at the same time. I just really want to hit 275 now.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 13 of 18

Squat: 255x20
    pullover: 25x20
    OHP: 135 5,5,5,4,0
    DL: 375x4.9999

Squat felt better than I expected this morning...roughly the same as 250 Friday if not a little easier.

OHP felt good for the first three sets and good but hard for the fourth. Failed on the last rep. Waited 2.5 minutes before attempting the 5th set and couldn't even get the bar up once! Took off the weight and just did the 45lb bar about 15 times.

DL still felt good. Didn't count as a full 5 as my grip started slipping at the very end of the 5th rep even though the video looks like I got lockout.

For whatever reason my phone decided to act weird recording the video this morning. Trying to edit in youtube so hopefully these videos won't be sideways. Sorry if they are.

https://youtu.be/9ZtR2gEuSqI
    https://youtu.be/4WirpxlLbYY
  • JoRocka
    Options

really!
    1 x 20 Squat
    3 x 10 OHP
    3 x 10 BB Row
    1 x 15- Stiff Leg DL
    3 x 12- Bench

@jorocka maybe I should have been doing more of a 3x8 or 3x10 routine with it. I've just been doing 5x5 as thats what I've always done. Looking forward to going back to 5/3/1 when this is over though. I'd love any comments/critiques on the videos. They're basically all up there.

Tell me the truth...just how bad are these last two weeks going to be lol. Looking forward and dreading at the same time. I just really want to hit 275 now.

if you're feeling comfortable then it's not really important what I think LOL- i liked the consistency and change of pace of the variation I did. Its' different enough- and i knew I didn't have to worry about going up or down- so it worked for me.

As far as "how bad" - well the first time I did the program I got super naseauted at the thought of going to the gym- fairly early on.

This last rotation I didn't hit that "I'm sick at the thought of this" till about 15 pounds off the final number- so the last two weeks for me this rotation were the stickers LOL- but you may feel good about it and push past what you expected! Once you get under the bar its' fine- for me it was every second up till the first squat that was the issue.
  • McCloud33
    Options

really!
    1 x 20 Squat
    3 x 10 OHP
    3 x 10 BB Row
    1 x 15- Stiff Leg DL
    3 x 12- Bench

if you're feeling comfortable then it's not really important what I think LOL- i liked the consistency and change of pace of the variation I did. Its' different enough- and i knew I didn't have to worry about going up or down- so it worked for me.

As far as "how bad" - well the first time I did the program I got super naseauted at the thought of going to the gym- fairly early on.

This last rotation I didn't hit that "I'm sick at the thought of this" till about 15 pounds off the final number- so the last two weeks for me this rotation were the stickers LOL- but you may feel good about it and push past what you expected! Once you get under the bar its' fine- for me it was every second up till the first squat that was the issue.

@jorocka I just keep waiting to hit the "wall". I think that's what is messing with my mind the most...knowing that most people when they do this hit a point that they just can't go any further and I'm. just. waiting...it's like sitting at the top of a roller coaster, motionless, knowing that it's going to drop out from underneath you at any moment. The closer I get, the more confident I'm going to hit 275, which then makes me think, "you're just being over confident b/c everyone hits a wall on this program." I'm now within 20lbs of my goal, and I'm not having to take any more time between reps...no extended breaks other than when I stop to gather myself every 5 reps at least. All of my videos are within 10 seconds of each other as far as duration...all around 2:30 and that includes set-up time after I start hitting the record button and walking over to shut if off when I'm done. I guess I'm just scared to get too excited about hitting my goal.

If I do go through and am able to hit 275x20 for "relative" ease...I think my last set of the program I'm going to go all out, throw 300 on and just see how many I can get. I say that now, but we'll see how I feel a week from Friday LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options
    It's just a reality- at some point- you will fail.

That is inevitable- that is why periodization and block programming exists- because you cannot add weight on indefinitely. I don't find that aspect of it challenging- because I used to train to failure quite regularly- so it was a none issue.

I think if you blow past 275- then I would muse
    1.) you're 5 rep max may have been a little low
    2.) you should go to 280- and continue to add 5 pounds. I think jumping up would defeat the point. But- that how I roll- and I like the consistency of moving upwards.

I suspect you'll have a better sense in a week or two!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    It's just a reality- at some point- you will fail.

That is inevitable- that is why periodization and block programming exists- because you cannot add weight on indefinitely. I don't find that aspect of it challenging- because I used to train to failure quite regularly- so it was a none issue.

I think if you blow past 275- then I would muse
    1.) you're 5 rep max may have been a little low
    2.) you should go to 280- and continue to add 5 pounds. I think jumping up would defeat the point. But- that how I roll- and I like the consistency of moving upwards.

I suspect you'll have a better sense in a week or two!

Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions that I would be able to continue to add weight indefinitely. You could be right that I started too low, but at the time a started, 275 was my legit 5RM. I'm also a goal oriented type person and had always set this up to be a 6 week program with the goal of getting to 275x20. I don't have any desire to add another week (or two) to take it to failure. I will have given it everything I had for 6 weeks, doing very minimal cardio (for me), eating at surplus, making sure to get my sleep, etc... and I'm ready to move on after the 6 weeks. I signed up for a couple more obstacle course races later on in the summer and am anxious to start running/training for those as well. If I hit 275, I will count this as a success. If I can do it with one day to spare, why not go all out...275 to 300 is a big enough jump that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get all 20, it's a nice round number and would IMO, give me a good test of just how much strength/will I've gained on the program. Like we both said though, I'll have a better idea the closer I get to next week. I could hit that wall at 260, 275, or anywhere in between and then this is all irrelevant anyway.

Thanks for keeping up and commenting though, it's nice to know someone else is out there LOL
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm here and keeping up with you, too! :smiley: I've appreciated your documenting this and have enjoyed your videos and the ongoing discussion surrounding your challenge. I can see myself attempting this challenge sometime in the future.

Question: It seems that the biggest challenge might be pushing through mentally...is this a fair assumption? I'm no where near your or others' level in regards to the amount of weight being lifted (my last squat was 100 lbs 5x5). I've been lifting since November, but my squats haven't progressed all that much due to some inconsistency on my part and the unavailability of squat racks when I go to the gym. That being said, what's a good starting point for someone like me? Should I jump right in at 20 reps of a percentage of my max? Should I build up to 20 reps with a lighter weight? I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions...
  • McCloud33
    Options
    I'm here and keeping up with you, too! :smiley: I've appreciated your documenting this and have enjoyed your videos and the ongoing discussion surrounding your challenge. I can see myself attempting this challenge sometime in the future.

Question: It seems that the biggest challenge might be pushing through mentally...is this a fair assumption? I'm no where near your or others' level in regards to the amount of weight being lifted (my last squat was 100 lbs 5x5). I've been lifting since November, but my squats haven't progressed all that much due to some inconsistency on my part and the unavailability of squat racks when I go to the gym. That being said, what's a good starting point for someone like me? Should I jump right in at 20 reps of a percentage of my max? Should I build up to 20 reps with a lighter weight? I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions...

@Reinventing_Me No such thing as a ridiculous question (well maybe, but yours isn't one LOL)

I think the main thing that you need to do/know is that your form is pretty spot on. The first thing that's going to falter as you get tired, or the weight gets heavier is going to be your form, and once that goes you're just asking for an injury. The mental part is tough, I won't lie to you. Especially if all you've ever done is 5x5. That's partially why I did an introductory 6 weeks...that and the fact I was training for something else as well. I think that was a little long just to lead up mentally. 2-3 weeks would be plenty. If I was recommending this to someone like I me who was hesitant about their ability to do 20 reps, I'd have them do a week of 10 reps, a week of 15 reps and then a week of 20 reps at their "starting" weight for the program, but this is just me...lifters much more experienced than me have developed these programs and how long to run them etc...

I haven't been lifting all that long either (started July-ish 2014), but I wouldn't have attempted this program before now, and I've basically lifted 3-4 times a week consistently for those two years. This is not a novice program in my opinion. You really consider yourself at least an intermediate lifter.

I think that with as low as your 5x5 is, the 20 rep program might now be for you. If you followed it like it's laid out, you'd only start lifting 10lbs and get up to 100x20 at the end of 6 weeks. As you stated, your squats haven't progressed because of inconsistency and unavailability of the squat rack...how is this going to change for you moving to the 20 rep program?
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 14 of 18

Squat: 260x20
    pull-over: 25x20
    flat bench: 195 5,5,5,4,3
    weighted pull-up: 45 3x5
    BW pull-up: 8,7

Forget all that talk of blowing by 275 LOL 260 was f$%^ing hard this morning. 5 min after completing my legs were still shaking...almost couldn't get my shoes back on. But I did it, and lived to die another day so mission accomplished.

Bench was rough again. I think my elbow is really having an affect there. I'm going to look into an elbow strap that supposed to help with tendonitis.

Weighted/BW pull-ups felt good and strong though, so that was nice.

https://youtu.be/q8zmd8UDjrc
  • JoRocka
    Options

I'll be frank with you. This is not the program for you. it's for more advanced lifters- and you have to really want it.

You're stalled because you aren't working- I think you should re do something like starting strength or strong lifts and really work on your form and your base. This program will 100% tax you're form- and if you're only squatting 100 pounds- I can promise you- you're form isn't there yet. You may know what it needs to be- but you don't have enough time under the bar for your body to do what it needs to do under a load when your brain stops thinking.

A solid THUMBS DOWN and a huge NO from me on this.

Being said- yes- this program is very mentally challenging. It's physically demanding- but the mental is a bigger issue IMHO.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Day 14 of 18

Squat: 260x20
    pull-over: 25x20
    flat bench: 195 5,5,5,4,3
    weighted pull-up: 45 3x5
    BW pull-up: 8,7

Forget all that talk of blowing by 275 LOL 260 was f$%^ing hard this morning. 5 min after completing my legs were still shaking...almost couldn't get my shoes back on. But I did it, and lived to die another day so mission accomplished.

Bench was rough again. I think my elbow is really having an affect there. I'm going to look into an elbow strap that supposed to help with tendonitis.

Weighted/BW pull-ups felt good and strong though, so that was nice.

https://youtu.be/q8zmd8UDjrc
    YO- finally watched- these look nice and tight. BUT DUDE THE BELT.!!! How did I EFFING MISS THE FACT YOU ARE WEARING A BELT.
    Take that *kitten* off!!!! LOL_ that's half the point of this program!!!!

I'm laughing though at you sucking wind- you can see in my videos too- just massive amounts of breathing LOL- you are NOT alone on that one!!!
    It's so weird- huffing and puffing- my legs start shaking and the sweat is rolling down my back and arms- and I'm like WTF_ I"M ONLY SQUATTING!
    Thanks for keeping up and commenting though, it's nice to know someone else is out there LOL
    No problem dude- I get funny *kitten* looks all the time at my gym when I run it- and people really question my sanity more than usual- so its' nice to have someone to relate to- plus- for me- I've never known anyone whose done the program in any sort of real life (in person or on line)- so it's nice to see someone else's work.

• Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread. I've heard of the 20 rep squat prgram and thought it looked interesting so I'll be following along keenly. Going to check out the videos tonight. Keep it up, man. Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    I just found this thread. I've heard of the 20 rep squat prgram and thought it looked interesting so I'll be following along keenly. Going to check out the videos tonight. Keep it up, man. Good luck.

bonus for ATGATT. I see you!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    YO- finally watched- these look nice and tight. BUT DUDE THE BELT.!!! How did I EFFING MISS THE FACT YOU ARE WEARING A BELT.
    Take that *kitten* off!!!! LOL_ that's half the point of this program!!!!

I'm laughing though at you sucking wind- you can see in my videos too- just massive amounts of breathing LOL- you are NOT alone on that one!!!
    It's so weird- huffing and puffing- my legs start shaking and the sweat is rolling down my back and arms- and I'm like WTF_ I"M ONLY SQUATTING!
    No problem dude- I get funny *kitten* looks all the time at my gym when I run it- and people really question my sanity more than usual- so its' nice to have someone to relate to- plus- for me- I've never known anyone whose done the program in any sort of real life (in person or on line)- so it's nice to see someone else's work.
    Not allowed to use the belt!?!?! How did I miss that when I was researching the program!!! At this point, I don't think I'm taking it off...too close to the end and I'm just staying consistent with what I've been doing...sorry to disappoint LOL

Yes to the breathing though...can't get enough air. I have a guy here at work that used to be a powerlifter/bodybuilder back in the day and so I've been talking to him some about it. He's never done this 20rep program where you're squatting 3x a week and adding 5lbs every time, but he's done other 20 rep programs before. He was asking if I was taking long extended breaks once I get up past 15. I think the main reason I don't is that because by that time, I'm SOO close to the end of the 20 reps that I just want to get that f@#$ing bar off my back so bad, I just take a couple breathes and force myself down again LOL The breaks I take after every 5 reps are just enough to keep me from blacking out from lack of oxygen and to make sure I don't lose count (because I think I can only count to 5 with that much weight on my back LOL)