Low BMR what calories can I eat without gaining

I got my body composition done by my personal trainer and my basic metabolic rate is only 1359. I understand what a BMR is but I'm wondering how much CAN I eat without gaining or does it depend? Here's info:
Body fat 10%
Weight 7st12
Muscle mass 6st11
BMR 1359 metabolic age 12
Visceral fat 1
BMO 20
Age 24, height 5ft 2

I eat 1500 calories 6 days a week and have a "treat day" of 2000 calories. Sometimes I might have two 2000 days depending.

I do 3 hours of brisk walking a week and 30 minutes at the gym a week with my personal trainer (we use vibroplates which increase training so trainer says it's really an hour that I do)

So can anyone tell me what calories I can get away with eating? What I'm doing now seems to be ok but want to make sure I'm doing it right as I want to get leaner. Thanls

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you're losing on 1500 cals with a couple of 2000 cal days then that's your answer!
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    BMR is how many calories the body burns if you just lay in bed alive all day. It doesn't include extra calories burned just walking around or doing exercise.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - that is the number that matters.

Are you consistently losing with your current numbers?

If the BF% number is right and you want to get lean (it always seems lean to me), then maybe look into a progressive lifting program and eat at maintenance. This is called recomposition.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Is that a typo, that your bodyfat is 10%????
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2016
    I agree wtih TavistockToad. If this is working - meaning you are losing weight or maintaining (depends on what your aim is after) with your current method - then keep it going. If you reach a point where your weight loss stalls for 4-6 weeks, then look to increase activity and/or change calories in.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    charlireah wrote: »
    I got my body composition done by my personal trainer and my basic metabolic rate is only 1359. I understand what a BMR is but I'm wondering how much CAN I eat without gaining or does it depend? Here's info:
    Body fat 10%
    Weight 7st12
    Muscle mass 6st11
    Visceral fat 1
    BMO 20
    Age 24, height 5ft 2

I eat 1500 calories 6 days a week and have a "treat day" of 2000 calories. Sometimes I might have two 2000 days depending.

I do 3 hours of brisk walking a week and 30 minutes at the gym a week with my personal trainer (we use vibroplates which increase training so trainer says it's really an hour that I do)

So can anyone tell me what calories I can get away with eating? What I'm doing now seems to be ok but want to make sure I'm doing it right as I want to get leaner. Thanls

You're right in the middle of healthy BMI..... instead of losing, you may want to bump up to maintenance and recomp...
  • charlireah
    charlireah Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2016

No it isn't. I am 10%. I thought it was 20% but ive had it done professionally rather than attempt to do it myself!!
  • charlireah
    Figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - that is the number that matters.

If the BF% number is right and you want to get lean (it always seems lean to me), then maybe look into a progressive lifting program and eat at maintenance. This is called recomposition.

Thank you! How would I figure that out?
  • charlireah
    If you're losing on 1500 cals with a couple of 2000 cal days then that's your answer!

I'm.not losing. I'm staying exactly the same. I've been exactly the same weight for 7 years but have lost fat. Strangely my calorie intake has been different over the years also which is why I'm confused.
  • charlireah
    Body fat 10%
    Weight 7st12
    Muscle mass 6st11
    Visceral fat 1
    BMO 20
    Age 24, height 5ft 2

You're right in the middle of healthy BMI..... instead of losing, you may want to bump up to maintenance and recomp...

Yes I don't want to lose I want to be more toned. :) Is recomp weights? My personal trainer has a programme set out for me but I have no idea about my intake.
  • sammyliftsandeats

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Try the calculator linked above to figure out your numbers.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

No it isn't. I am 10%. I thought it was 20% but ive had it done professionally rather than attempt to do it myself!!

Are you female? If so you're definitely not 10%
  • charlireah
    ASKyle wrote: »

Can you explain why? I had my body composition done by a qualified personal trainer so I can only assume that this is accurate?
  • charlireah

Thank you this worked perfectly! Although it says I can eat 1900 daily and that feels like such a lot! Haha
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Can you explain why? I had my body composition done by a qualified personal trainer so I can only assume that this is accurate?

Do you look similar to this? I couldn't find a pic of an exact 10% body fat female.

85jq8hqzohjw.jpg
  • sammyliftsandeats

Thank you this worked perfectly! Although it says I can eat 1900 daily and that feels like such a lot! Haha

It is taking into consideration the amount you exercise. So if you exercise a lot, which it seems like you do, it makes sense.

Also, that number may be the number for you to maintain your current weight. If you wanted to lose weight, you would have to eat less but it seems like you are interested in 'shaping up' so you can eat at the 1900, lift progessively heavier weights, and with time, you could create the shape you desire.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

That would be extraordinarily low for a female - how did your PT come up with your numbers?
    Not using a BIA scale I hope?

Have a look here for what that would look like....
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

And description from the same source...
    Body Fat Percentage Women 10-12%

This is an extremely low body fat level typically attained by female bodybuilders. Essential fat for women is round 8-10% compared to 2% for men. Why the difference? Women have more fat in breast tissue and the area surrounding the uterus. This level of body fat is not considered safe, or healthy for women who will be unable to menstruate. Striations of muscle, separation between muscles, clear vascularity are all noticeable at this level. The women in the photo is likely at the higher end of the range at 12% body fat because she is not too vascular.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    One doesn't have to look like a body builder in order to have low body fat...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    If your BMR is 1360 and you are somewhat active then your TDEE ranges in the 1650 to 2040. If your BF% is truly 10% (which is low for a woman) you probably shouldn't be losing weight but working on recomposition.
  • charlireah
    It was a BIA scale. Is there a more accurate way to test this? Thank you for the link. Perhaps I am 20% after all! I will speak to my trainer as perhaps I let go of the handle too soon on the BIA