"Perfect weight" anxiety

Options
Am I the only one that has a lot more anxiety now that I am at what I feel is the perfect weight for me? Every night I wonder.. did I eat enough to maintain this weight? Did I eat too much? I weigh myself everyday because it gives me confirmation that I am maintaining my goal. I know that my weight will fluctuate up and down. When it does I feel anxious. I think.. Oh no, I'm becoming complacent and my weight is creeping up! Or.. Uh oh, my weight has gone down am I getting too thin? I wish I could enjoy my success without worrying all the time. I worry a lot in general. :/

Replies

• looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I have gained about 3 pounds from a month of celebrating turning 40 and can't get it off and I'm totally panicked yet I know it's fine. I know my measurements haven't changed but I can't stop thinking about it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Move the scale, look into CBT for the anxiety.
  • FFTW12
    FFTW12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is me too. I lost 20 kgs as of around a year ago and am forever stuck in this cycle of weighing myself every few days, judging myself, thinking if every day was a "good" day or a "bad" day. If it's a bad day, I eat less or exercise more til I get back to the target weight and I feel crappy and worried I will get fat again. If it's a good day, then I might have a square of chocolate as a reward and feel ok. It's a neverending cycle but I kind of figure it's just how I will ensure I never put that weight on again. The good news is that I haven't put anything back on in a year. Everyone deals with this differently - I am trying to be less anxious about it and it's slowly changing. Just try to cut yourself some slack. Your weight will vary but maybe have an upper limit where you to action rather than looking all the time. That's what I'm aiming for! Good luck.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    nvigliotte wrote: »
    Am I the only one that has a lot more anxiety now that I am at what I feel is the perfect weight for me? Every night I wonder.. did I eat enough to maintain this weight? Did I eat too much? I weigh myself everyday because it gives me confirmation that I am maintaining my goal. I know that my weight will fluctuate up and down. When it does I feel anxious. I think.. Oh no, I'm becoming complacent and my weight is creeping up! Or.. Uh oh, my weight has gone down am I getting too thin? I wish I could enjoy my success without worrying all the time. I worry a lot in general. :/

No, I lost all of my excess weight years ago and since then it's been a constant check to see that I haven't started putting any back on. All the time and work that went into getting here, I'm paranoid it'll all be for nothing if I don't keep check.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Should speak with a doctor about how you feel not random people on the internet.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a competition and need to make weight, then it make sense to weigh in everyday, which is what I did. But when you become obsessive with weight gain/loss, that's when it takes over your entire day, emotions and physical well-being. Stop weighing yourself daily, eat healthy and sometimes cheat and have a doughnut. It's whether you feel comfortable with yourself and how you fit into clothes than the numbers on the scale
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you are doing this, I recommend getting professional help. We're not qualified to help you.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am a woman. I know I should stop weighing myself everyday. I do (usually) avoid the scale after a cheat day. I just can't help myself. It's there in the bathroom calling to me to come step on it.

I weight myself when I feel skinny. (You know what I mean; sometimes we feel heavy and sometimes we feel light . Do it on one of those light mornings) & only once a week Max. If you're in maintenance then I don't think it's necessary to weight daily and it also feeds that anxiety that we all know about. It sucks. it makes you feel defeated because when you were losing you dreamed about how happy and content you'd feel once you got to goal. The truth is, it's the start of a another battle. Just one where you can eat more. And if you want to do that, then exercise more
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

No, I lost all of my excess weight years ago and since then it's been a constant check to see that I haven't started putting any back on. All the time and work that went into getting here, I'm paranoid it'll all be for nothing if I don't keep check.

Then make a conscious choice every day to keep it in check. You're in control of that. Own it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    One of the things that successful maintainers do is weight themselves every day. That way they can quickly catch any gains before they turn into much bigger gains. You say you have a lot of anxiety in general - have you seen anyone for it? Medication and cognitive behavioral therapy saved my life.

Best. :smile:

http://www.livescience.com/53863-best-way-keep-weight-off.html
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Do you use a weight trending app (Trendweight, Happy Scale, Libra, others)? That can help one see the big picture amongst the fluctuations.

I've weighed myself daily for years, even when not trying to lose, and graphed the result on graph paper before starting to use Libra. While this may sound obsessive to some, the truth is that I'm a data geek who keeps track of lots of things. I've been watching my fluctuations long enough that they don't worry me at all, because I understand them very well - what causes them, how long before water weight will disappear, that sort of thing.

If this is causing you serious anxiety, talking to a counselor might be a good idea - it can be very helpful.

(P.S. Anxiety about weighing and one's weight is not a universal among women.)
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and enter it weekly or every other week. Weighing daily is NOT compulsive, over thinking every up/down is. Many people use other apps to get a trending of their weight, I find changing my progress graph to all my entered data or 1 year allows you to see minor daily fluctuations for what they are...minor. it is pretty simple looking at that much data what the trend is. If you can't then a app that does it for you may ease your mind.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 6mos now, and I'm getting much better about that. In the beginning I did freak out a lot, but now after some time has gone by I see how over/under eating here and there just tends to even itself out. My weight fluctuates a couple pounds up sometimes, but now I can pinpoint if it's water, a day of heavy eating, ect.... And I know it will fall back off quickly. Give it some time and you'll start to relax once the newness of maintenance wears off.

As far as weighing, I do weigh myself every morning. I've found it helpful in seeing how different food days or times of the month affect the number I get. It helped me stop worrying so much.