"Perfect weight" anxiety

Options
2»

Replies

• leesecarriere
    leesecarriere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one! I'm still getting used to being on maintenance. But I also think that the really telling thing will be how your clothes fit. I'd be more concerned if the new clothes that I bought in a smaller size were getting too tight. Yesterday was an off day for me for sure and I saw it on the scale this morning, but I know that I can get back on track by putting a bit more effort in today!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one! I'm still getting used to being on maintenance. But I also think that the really telling thing will be how your clothes fit. I'd be more concerned if the new clothes that I bought in a smaller size were getting too tight. Yesterday was an off day for me for sure and I saw it on the scale this morning, but I know that I can get back on track by putting a bit more effort in today!

Yeah...if they're continually tight you know to back off a little. LOL! But if someone is retaining some water...their midsection get a bit bloated so a waistband feels tighter, that's just the way it goes sometimes. Nothing to get crazy over.

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    FFTW12 wrote: »
    Yep, this is me too. I lost 20 kgs as of around a year ago and am forever stuck in this cycle of weighing myself every few days, judging myself, thinking if every day was a "good" day or a "bad" day. If it's a bad day, I eat less or exercise more til I get back to the target weight and I feel crappy and worried I will get fat again. If it's a good day, then I might have a square of chocolate as a reward and feel ok. It's a neverending cycle but I kind of figure it's just how I will ensure I never put that weight on again. The good news is that I haven't put anything back on in a year. Everyone deals with this differently - I am trying to be less anxious about it and it's slowly changing. Just try to cut yourself some slack. Your weight will vary but maybe have an upper limit where you to action rather than looking all the time. That's what I'm aiming for! Good luck.

I have lost 64 pounds since July 30th of last year. I've been mostly maintaining with a slight loss since mid January.

I've given myself a 4 pound window.... and that seems to work for me. I'm 5'9" and can carry a lot of weight although now at 141 I realize I am not large framed as I had always though...just tall!

Weighing every morning when I wake up works for me. If I don't I wonder myself silly. I know that a poor sleep or too much sodium puts me at the top of my weight window, so I've learned to log accurately and not worry the gain. I know it will be gone in a few days, if I don't eat silly.... I don't want to get to the place where my clothes are snug before I take action. Been there and it didn't work for me at all.....
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I once heard someone say they follow the rule "it's not really until it's consistent for three days". So if you have a fluctuation up or down, don't stress it. If you go up for three days straight, then switch to a slight deficit until you're back down. This is something I plan to incorporate.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A weekly weigh-in is more than enough, even for someone like me who only allows a +/- of 3 lbs. I know it would be damn near impossible for me to gain 3 lbs in a week unless I were snorting a box of donuts for dinner every day. When I go 3 over, I just diet for a week or two and it's gone. If I go under, I eat more. That simple. It's so much easier to exist when you're not obsessing about every calorie and pound.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    nvigliotte wrote: »
    Am I the only one that has a lot more anxiety now that I am at what I feel is the perfect weight for me? Every night I wonder.. did I eat enough to maintain this weight? Did I eat too much? I weigh myself everyday because it gives me confirmation that I am maintaining my goal. I know that my weight will fluctuate up and down. When it does I feel anxious. I think.. Oh no, I'm becoming complacent and my weight is creeping up! Or.. Uh oh, my weight has gone down am I getting too thin? I wish I could enjoy my success without worrying all the time. I worry a lot in general. :/

Try to go by your image, not your weight. It has always worked for me.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A weekly weigh-in is more than enough, even for someone like me who only allows a +/- of 3 lbs. I know it would be damn near impossible for me to gain 3 lbs in a week unless I were snorting a box of donuts for dinner every day. When I go 3 over, I just diet for a week or two and it's gone. If I go under, I eat more. That simple. It's so much easier to exist when you're not obsessing about every calorie and pound.

Snorting a box of donuts, LMAO
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I keep a 10lb range. If I get above 130 or below 120, then I consider doing something. The exceptions would be for vacations which I calorie bank for and try to get to the bottom or even below the range so I can eat like a blue whale. Otherwise, meh, as long as it is in range.

Oddly enough, I can't really go on clothing size. I 'gained' 9lbs during my two week vacation binge I just got back from and nothing fit noticeably different. Have lost the vast majority of the weight in the past days and still, not too much different. I have no clue where my body was hoarding this weight, but it was pretty well distributed in any case.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    One of the things that successful maintainers do is weight themselves every day. That way they can quickly catch any gains before they turn into much bigger gains. You say you have a lot of anxiety in general - have you seen anyone for it? Medication and cognitive behavioral therapy saved my life.

Best. :smile:

http://www.livescience.com/53863-best-way-keep-weight-off.html

Hm. Interesting article. It says, literally, to consume 1380 calories a day and to exercise 45 minutes a day. Those numbers don't make sense unless you're seriously tiny. For example, to maintain my weight without exercise I'm at 1850 and my TDEE is more like 2200-2300. & I do cardio maybe a total of 200 hours a week because of my work schedule. & I think that's realistic for a lot of people in maintenance.

It also says that those who have lost weight have slowed metabolisms than those who have always been that weight - something I look at suspiciously also. It says those who never gained he weight can eat 300-400 more calories a day and not gain weight.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I control my anxiety by weighing every day, averaging out every 7, and counting my macros and calories. Then there is nothing to worry about.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    One of the things that successful maintainers do is weight themselves every day. That way they can quickly catch any gains before they turn into much bigger gains. You say you have a lot of anxiety in general - have you seen anyone for it? Medication and cognitive behavioral therapy saved my life.

Hm. Interesting article. It says, literally, to consume 1380 calories a day and to exercise 45 minutes a day. Those numbers don't make sense unless you're seriously tiny. For example, to maintain my weight without exercise I'm at 1850 and my TDEE is more like 2200-2300. & I do cardio maybe a total of 200 hours a week because of my work schedule. & I think that's realistic for a lot of people in maintenance.

It also says that those who have lost weight have slowed metabolisms than those who have always been that weight - something I look at suspiciously also. It says those who never gained he weight can eat 300-400 more calories a day and not gain weight.

Man, in addition to losing weight, you've managed to alter the laws of reality! 200 hours of cardio in a 168 hour week! :smile:
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am sure some of you share the same fear I have, that I am going to forget how to do this and all 70 is coming back overnight. Sometimes I obsess over this. I can't help it, I work out very hard and eat well I just fear it coming back. I guess after 45 years of fat I feel like I can never escape it
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am too obsessive to weigh myself every day. A couple times a week is enough.
  • Raucella
    Raucella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i agree with some once a week weigh in is perfect! or weight for the trash man and throw the scale away
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    The exceptions would be for vacations which I calorie bank for and try to get to the bottom or even below the range so I can eat like a blue whale. .

baaahahaha! I thought I was the only one who did that. The bottom of my range according to the BMI for my height is technically 118, although my height is almost 3 inches less than it was a few years ago due to my spine leaning to the right after an injury, so if I go by my old height to suit my actual frame it would be more like 123 at the bottom of my range. That said, because I've lost around 170 pounds and a good portion of what's left is just loose skin weight that isn't actually doing anything for me, I find the BMI not to be terribly accurate for me anyway. For example, certain female "functions" cease to operate if I dip below 136...so I'd say that's probably a better indicator of what the bottom of my healthy weight range is....thus I usually aim to stay at between 140 and 145 for my range. Unless vacation is coming. Then I dive to 135 and eat my way back out of the pit. MMMM!!! (I've also found this knowledge to be useful in prepping for surgery. I was due to start lady time the day of my nephrectomy. How inconvenient would THAT have been. Dropped a wack of weight so I wouldn't have to deal with such things AND i could feast on whatever I wanted while I wasn't allowed to exercise for 2 months. lol)

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Man, in addition to losing weight, you've managed to alter the laws of reality! 200 hours of cardio in a 168 hour week! :smile:

Lmao!. Guilty of a typo, definitely meant minutes
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

The table in the article says exactly 1380 calories. The article (literally) says that's what the studied folks averaged, it doesn't say everyone should eat that. It also has more nuanced detail about the exercise, and you are citing only the table.

I, too, have doubts about the metabolic slowdown thing, based on my personal n=1. But the article does later say, of exercise, "studies suggest it can prevent the metabolic slowdown that happens with weight loss". Perhaps your 200 minutes a week (and my 300-500) was enough?

I do strenuously object to its suggestion that eating the same things all the time is good because it gets boring, and one doesn't want to eat as much of boring things! If I'm going to limit calories, I'm pretty darn motivated to make them interesting, tasty ones. ;)
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the comments, so not sure if this was mentioned already, but have you heard of the app "Happy Scale"? It actually works best if you enter your weight every day. The app smooths out your daily scale weights and tells you your "real" weight.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    nvigliotte wrote: »
    Am I the only one that has a lot more anxiety now that I am at what I feel is the perfect weight for me? Every night I wonder.. did I eat enough to maintain this weight? Did I eat too much?

Been there, stressed that but have overcome it. I know my weight in any given year fluctuates around 10 pounds, but that allows me to enjoy the holidays and such. I know I can drop it back down over a few months so I don't sweat it as long as I don't start feeling overweight again.