Significant others that don't understand calorie counting

Options

Replies

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your diet isn't his diet. He's not trying to lose, so the choice really is up to you. You DON'T have to eat what he eats. Bring your own, or eat later.
    The reality is, as much as people would like to believe that their goals should be compromiseable to everyone, not everyone really cares. In fact more don't care than really care. So it's up to YOU to do what you need to if weight loss is your goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

As I read the OPs post, one of the very reasonable things she is asking for is that things are planned in advance, allowing her to make her other decisions accordingly.

I don't think that this is much to ask for at all.

Exactly why is that an unreasonable request? If my wife asked this if me, I would do it without question!

^ exactly! It's not much to ask at all! I can understand as she wants to plan out her day.

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue here is definitely that he didn't ask me in advance. Had he said last night, "Hey, I want to go to dinner tomorrow night", I would had been able to plan accordingly. By the time I had breakfast and lunch I was already at 1400 calories. I usually eat around 2000-2100. Some of the chain restaurants we like, it's not hard to blow those calories out of the water. Not to mention he kept asking me what some low calorie options are and wouldn't hone in on a specific restaurant. Hopefully he'll take into consideration what I said about planning in advance. And I know for a fact that if I went and didn't order anything he would get upset just the same as if I said I didn't want to go. I have avoided eating out for the most part because I like knowing what's going into my food and how many calories I'm really consuming. When I cook at home, I am in total control of that.

Can I ask you your stats? Are you maintaining on this 2000-2100 calorie diet? Just wondering to compare. I also only have around 10 more lbs to lose. I'm 5'6, 143 lbs, 46 yr old woman. Just curious :smile: and I totally get how you feel with all of this! So frustrating!!

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "Salad, no dressing," works for me.

Bravo! I did that yesterday. After I had just had lunch I took my dad (he can't drive due to eyesight) out to Walmart. It was 12:30 and he hadn't had lunch and suggested Wendy's fast food. I took him there, and I ordered the garden side salad for 25 calories.

I was so proud of myself! The only thing he said was, "I guess you aren't very hungry, hunh?" I replied that I had already eaten breakfast and lunch so he nodded in agreement. It didn't bother me at all and was quite liberating to enjoy conversation together without packing in extra calories.
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I rarely go out to eat as we have young children and shortage of sitters! But I can sympathise my OH like many others isn't dieting and can eat anything and everything in site and still not gain weight! His very lucky! I have him constantly telling me I'm stupid for dieting I don't need to and don't be ridiculous you can eat way you want etc! I don't stop him eating wat he likes I just limit wat I eat. I do agree with other posters most restaurants have low cal / light bites on menu - lean chicken or beef with low carbs and salad all good options. It is hard tho when ur dieting and partners are not so supportive of you x
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We eat out/order in quite often. I tend to eat light for breakfast. If I choose something high calorie while we're out, I portion out what will fit in my calories for the day, & take the rest home for another meal. I enjoy eating out, & spending that time with my family, so I adjust my priorities accordingly. If you absolutely are against that, perhaps you need to reconsider having a relationship, until you are happy with you.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hmm, would it be possible for you to go out with him and eat only half of the food you order and take rest of it home with you for lunch next day? That could be one solution you could try sometimes :smile:
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I struggle with my husband sometimes. We both have different relationships with food. He lives to eat and can eat alot with out gaining weight. Where as I'm not really that botherd unless I'm hungry. However I do like my craft ale (which is probaly why I'm here). Sometimes he wants a take away or to eat out. Sometimes I'm up for it, especially if I have had a good few weeks. Other times I don't want to because of various reasons. I always tell him if he wants a take away have it and I will eat something else. Then he pouts and sulks and says things like it's not the same when you don't join in. Then somtimes a argument erupts, especially if we are both tired. All because of food....there is more to life than eating unhealthy food. I really enjoy my healthy meals....some times I like unhealthy food but in moderation.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue here is definitely that he didn't ask me in advance. Had he said last night, "Hey, I want to go to dinner tomorrow night", I would had been able to plan accordingly. By the time I had breakfast and lunch I was already at 1400 calories. I usually eat around 2000-2100. Some of the chain restaurants we like, it's not hard to blow those calories out of the water. Not to mention he kept asking me what some low calorie options are and wouldn't hone in on a specific restaurant. Hopefully he'll take into consideration what I said about planning in advance. And I know for a fact that if I went and didn't order anything he would get upset just the same as if I said I didn't want to go. I have avoided eating out for the most part because I like knowing what's going into my food and how many calories I'm really consuming. When I cook at home, I am in total control of that.

Can I ask you your stats? Are you maintaining on this 2000-2100 calorie diet? Just wondering to compare. I also only have around 10 more lbs to lose. I'm 5'6, 143 lbs, 46 yr old woman. Just curious :smile: and I totally get how you feel with all of this! So frustrating!!

I'm losing weight. I'm 31 years old, 5'6" and 162 lbs. I'm also active. I'm on my feet pretty much all day at work. I usually get about 15-17k steps in.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I think you've identified your problem: he likes bigger women and he's probably not happy that you're losing and you have to alter your lifestyle (and his to a certain extent) for that to happen.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My husband told me that counting calories doesn't make any sense. I tried to explain CICO to him, but I could see his attention wandering away while I was talking.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My husband told me that counting calories doesn't make any sense. I tried to explain CICO to him, but I could see his attention wandering away while I was talking.

Sounds like he knows it makes sense and he wants to avoid it. I've known plenty of people like this and the sad thing is, it's the only way that works.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you have 600-700 calories left, that sounds like enough to eat *something* pretty much anywhere you go. Maybe not your normal order or a splurge order with apps and dessert, but a real meal.

Are you saying that you only want to go out to eat if you have enough calories to really go wild? If so, that might be something to look into because it may be more sustainable long-term to see lower calorie options at restaurants as another option, in addition to the choices of not going or going whole hog.

Sometimes you have to say no to things, but it can get to be controlling if you only ever do things on your own terms without considering your boyfriend's wishes.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you have 600-700 calories left, that sounds like enough to eat *something* pretty much anywhere you go. Maybe not your normal order or a splurge order with apps and dessert, but a real meal.

Are you saying that you only want to go out to eat if you have enough calories to really go wild? If so, that might be something to look into because it may be more sustainable long-term to see lower calorie options at restaurants as another option, in addition to the choices of not going or going whole hog.

Sometimes you have to say no to things, but it can get to be controlling if you only ever do things on your own terms without considering your boyfriend's wishes.

It's less about the calories and more so about the sodium. I don't like the way a lot of extra sodium makes me feel. I hate the bloated feeling.

I'm not controlling his eating habits if any way. He can still eat whatever he chooses. However, I know that he uses food to comfort himself. If he wants to engorge himself with thousands of calories, I'm not going to stop him.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with booksandchocolate. A relationship has to be balanced. I'm not sure his need to be able to make spontaneous decisions to go out to dinner outweighs her need to plan her intake in order to meet her caloric goals.

How to handle this (and whether it is worth dealing with it) depends on how often it is happening. If it is only a couple of times a year, it might not even be worth addressing, but this sounds like it is happening more regularly. So I would sit down and have a talk about this issue in terms of what you need. In order to meet your goals, you need to know at the beginning of the day if he would like to go out to eat. It may be a simple as having a conversation the night before or early in the day regarding dinner plans. If he wants to make a last minute decision to eat out, that is fine, but it also needs to be fine for you to proceed with the dinner plans you agreed upon earlier.

I would also have a talk about things that you two can do together other than going out to eat. I'd be a bit concerned about continuing a relationship in which both partners don't share at least a few common interests outside of eating at restaurants.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    I agree with booksandchocolate. A relationship has to be balanced. I'm not sure his need to be able to make spontaneous decisions to go out to dinner outweighs her need to plan her intake in order to meet her caloric goals.

How to handle this (and whether it is worth dealing with it) depends on how often it is happening. If it is only a couple of times a year, it might not even be worth addressing, but this sounds like it is happening more regularly. So I would sit down and have a talk about this issue in terms of what you need. In order to meet your goals, you need to know at the beginning of the day if he would like to go out to eat. It may be a simple as having a conversation the night before or early in the day regarding dinner plans. If he wants to make a last minute decision to eat out, that is fine, but it also needs to be fine for you to proceed with the dinner plans you agreed upon earlier.

I would also have a talk about things that you two can do together other than going out to eat. I'd be a bit concerned about continuing a relationship in which both partners don't share at least a few common interests outside of eating at restaurants.

+1
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I rarely go out to eat as we have young children and shortage of sitters! But I can sympathise my OH like many others isn't dieting and can eat anything and everything in site and still not gain weight! His very lucky! I have him constantly telling me I'm stupid for dieting I don't need to and don't be ridiculous you can eat way you want etc! I don't stop him eating wat he likes I just limit wat I eat. I do agree with other posters most restaurants have low cal / light bites on menu - lean chicken or beef with low carbs and salad all good options. It is hard tho when ur dieting and partners are not so supportive of you x

He constantly tells you you're stupid?! If he's trying to tell you he loves you just as you are and you're beautiful, I wish he'd do it in a more positive way. :heart:
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    OODone wrote: »
    My husband and I have different methods of dieting. He has a lot of self control and is able to be on a 'clean' diet for long periods of times. He understands that I need to count in order to stay on track. He didn't get it at first, but after a year of going off and on counting calories he has noticed that this is what works for me and my body. I think, for now, try to enjoy your time together and just order calorie friendly items. If he has a problem with that then there may be a more deeper issue that you both need to discuss.

Maybe this guy likes bigger women. Maybe he is all about that bass.

He does. He said that he liked how I looked at 185-190 lbs. But on a 5'6" frame that's just not healthy. And I felt so disgusting at that weight. I'm 162 now and I feel pretty good. I'll feel a lot better once I get to my goal weight. Which is 145-150. I think he misses the person that would be down to going to all you can eat buffets and didn't care about how much food I would eat. I told him that's not going to be my lifestyle anymore. He could stand to lose a little bit of weight himself, but would never do that.

He can only "sabotage" you if you let him. You said yourself you usually have 600-700 calories left at dinner. You can easily go out to eat on that calorie budget - get a low calorie or calorie free beverage (unsweetened iced tea, diet soda, black coffee, whatever you prefer), skip the breadbasket, skip appetizers, order a simply cooked protein and a couple veggie sides or a salad (no fried meats and watch the toppings), order dressings, sauces, or butter on the side or left off completely. If you have room, split a dessert with him and only take a few bites (or don't bother about dessert at all). I know restaraunt food often contains crazy amounts of sodium, and that can cause water retention, but that's not the same as fat gain - it won't prevent you from reaching your goals, it just might take a few days for the scale to be accurate again, no biggie.

When he says he doesn't plan to eat out, it then "gets hungry" and decides last minute to go to a restaraunt, does he realize that it takes longer to go out to eat than it does to make most things at home? After you factor in the drive there, the wait for a table, waiting for the drink order, and waiting after you place your food order, it could be upwards of an hour before you actually get your food (except maybe fast food). You can easily put together a home cooked meal in half that time. I'm assuming you two live together (otherwise it would be a non issue). Maybe take the initiative to prep some crockpot meals so by the time he gets hungry, dinner is done. Are your schedules predictable enough to have a consistant dinner time? Do you do most of the cooking? If so, start planning your dinners ahead (this is great for saving money at the grocery store too), and let him know what you are making earlier in the day. Remember to schedule some nights out, of course, but maybe if he knows what you guys are having for dinner, he won't be so quick to suggest going out.