Food scale shock!

Options

Replies

• akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    so true, when I first weighed rice I thought there was something wrong with the scales or the fundamental laws of physics had changed.

Weighed it out dry?

Cooked. Also made with a teaspoon of coconut oil for that insane discovery made recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32019176

although I'm obviously still logging it as per usual calories.

I've heard of that coconut oil thing, if coconut products didn't make me want to vomit, I might give it a shot.

But you know that the weight of cooked rice is going to be different from the dry? So you're going to get a bigger portion.

Luckily for me I love coconut, I could be immersed upside down in coconut and be happy. I used to eat anything with coconut in it, even found a sunscreen that smelt of it!

The rice in the database I'm using states it's for cooked. I find I'm eating less of it now anyway, there's just not enough bang for my buck in rice.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options

so true, when I first weighed rice I thought there was something wrong with the scales or the fundamental laws of physics had changed.

Yes. The rice was a shocker.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think I've probably been eating 250 to 300 more per day than I thought! Still lost 8lb this month due to exercise thank god!

Yeah that's why most people who don't weigh their food should not eat back exercise calories.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    I found several things that shocked me: rice, oatmeal, and pasta. So sad. :'( But at least now I know! :)

Pasta is killer. A caloric kick right to the gut.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    cb2bslim wrote: »
    I agree with @emmylootwo on the chips. Also on the opposite issue... I was leveling off my tablespoon of peanut butter for months. Then I decided to weight it one day and, WOW, all those months I was eating under 16g! That just isn't right in so many ways lol

Same. I use a food scale and I feel like it takes so much nut butter just to get to 32 grams! The portion size doesn't shock me at all; I think it's huge.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @twistedwoman - I have attached a few Important Posts that have helped me. A few that I always refer back to are Logging Accurately and your Eating More Than You Think. They all relate back to scales and portion sizes.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have seen very little difference between weighing and measuring. I even spent a couple days doing both so I could check.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    And now you know. It's great that you've discovered this now. It'll save you in the future.
    My shock was in seeing how much packaged foods varied. For example, one protein bar will weigh a range of 55-72 g with the nutrition label reading for a 60 g bar.
    Pizza and pasta were happy shocks though. Perhaps it's because I never grab the biggest slice of pizza, but the slice I grab usually weighs less than the average slice.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I usually use a food scale for everything but haven't been for hummus just because I felt like measuring using tablespoons couldn't be THAT far off. I decided to actually weigh it the other day and realized I've been eating twice as much as I thought I was eating, which is an extra 70 calories. It's not that much but I was shocked too!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Weigh a serving of peanut butter. You will weep.

A serving of my peanut butter is 32g (Great Value Creamy PB). I was shocked at how much it was. I would never put that much peanut butter on anything if I weren't trying to get the full serving. I can barely taste my blackberry jam--it's all just globs of peanut butter. I do eat a serving every day anyway because I don't get enough fat in my day without it, but I was just shocked in the opposite way with peanut butter.