Every other day diet

Options
Anyone every tried this. You eat 500 calories every other day then eat normally on the other days.

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Sounds like 5:2 Intermittent Fasting. Just another way to create a calorie deficit.

If you check groups there is probably an IF group on the boards.
  • shariyahinton
    shariyahinton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK I will look on there thanks
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 I don't know much (anything?) about this. Can you please give me an example of what you did calorie-wise? It sounds a bit like something I might want to consider. My TDEE is very low and staying for too long on a deficit (even a small one) gets on my nerves :) I can do the math but I was wondering how it went on with you.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Anyone every tried this. You eat 500 calories every other day then eat normally on the other days.

What does "eat normally" mean?

I've never tried it, but I feel like I would completely overeat after a 500 calorie day.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Christine_72 Thank you very much.

Hm, I'm starting to seriously consider it now. I'm aiming for a smaller deficit so think I could do more than 500cals on the diet days. I'm trying to go for 350 deficit now so if I do the alternate thing that would mean 700 less on the diet day, so about 800-900 to eat for me. Sounds doable considering I'll eat on the following day around 1500-1600. Thanks again.

OP, I'll be out now, don't mean to usurp your thread :) Good luck with your weight loss :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Good luck @gebeziseva , I would love to hear how you go if you start ADF :smile:
  • shariyahinton
    shariyahinton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So far I just finished my second fasting day. Its actually easier than I thought it would be
  • ddgx300
    ddgx300 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck with this. I am not a doctor or a anything like that. I would vote against this. Especially if you have a job where you are placing moderate to heavy physical demands on your body, because your will fall short of energy and feel lethargic and tired at most likely a critical moment. I know that most doctors don't recommend anyone to eat less than 1200 calories a day. Cutting back like that I have heard could cause your metabolism to actually slow down. Just my friendly advice, not meaning to criticize or anything like that.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight doing ADF.

I bought these books to help me get a better understanding.

o9ahx5jlqw5e.jpg

Thank you for the recommendations! There are lots of people here who choose to do the fasting diets, and I have wanted to learn more about them and why people like them so much.

Sorry, don't mean to derail...
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I tried it; it was horrible for me. Headaches, tiredness, sluggish on the 500 cals a day.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It only works if your weekly intake is less than your weekly expenditure. Same as any other diet!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    500 calories in a day sounds like hell to me, I'd rather just spread out the calories throughout the week instead of punishing myself, but that's just me.

^^ +1 I doubt I could even last on 1200 cals a day (that would have me literally fainting LOL) - I really enjoy having 2000+ cals....
  • mzjamocha
    mzjamocha Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love it. Please feel free to add me. There is some solid research to the benefits of brief fasting. I have lost 4lbs on the plan and finally found freedom from obsessing over food. Ive noticed appetite decreasing on non fast days, more energy. My average caloric intake is about 1300-1600 calories so I have experienced steady weight loss. Nothing drastic. This is legit. Reviewed reasearch articles on PubMed by Dr. Varady. Will also be blogging about my experience.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I only eat from 12 noon to 8 pm. Works great for me. Every other day thing I'm thinking about. Has anyone tried both? What can we expect to lose with every other day?
  • eussoob
    eussoob Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm doing it for the last week. If I eat a good dinner I don't feel as hungry on the 500 calorie days. You still feel hungry, don't get me wrong. But, I've been able to maintain energy. I don't have a physical job, and I'm not sure you could do it if you did. So far so good. I weigh in Wed, so we will see how I did this week.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ddgx300 wrote: »
    I wish you luck with this. I am not a doctor or a anything like that. I would vote against this. Especially if you have a job where you are placing moderate to heavy physical demands on your body, because your will fall short of energy and feel lethargic and tired at most likely a critical moment. I know that most doctors don't recommend anyone to eat less than 1200 calories a day. Cutting back like that I have heard could cause your metabolism to actually slow down. Just my friendly advice, not meaning to criticize or anything like that.

Cutting back for one day will not slow down your metabolism. The goal is to eat 500 on your fastings days and your TDEE or 110% of TDEE on your non fasting days. So the average caloric intake for the week is still sufficient. It doesn't affect my energy levels at all and I've actually performed better with my strength training since starting. I've been at it since the beginning of June and lost 23 lbs which I'm happy with. I travel lots for both work and sport so I depend on eating out way too much. Alternate Day fasting affords me the ability to not stress too much on take out/restaurant food being 100% exact on their portions/nutritional info.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    500 calories in a day sounds like hell to me, I'd rather just spread out the calories throughout the week instead of punishing myself, but that's just me.
    ^^ +1 I doubt I could even last on 1200 cals a day (that would have me literally fainting LOL) - I really enjoy having 2000+ cals....

Ditto.

If I don't get enough calories during the day I wake up hungry in the middle of the night and that messes me up for the next day. When I'm sleep deprived, I crave carbs and my willpower is low.