I understand and then I don't (scales and weighing and calorie worrying)

Options
I understand all the weighing of food, and worrying over whether it's 3.5 cups or 3.2 cups and whether it's actually 100 calories or maybe 150 calories. I get it. However, it doesn't make much sense to me. This is just MY opinion. Unless you're training for the Olympics, weighing in for a title fight and have to make weight, or are some world class athlete, or possibly for SERIOUS health issues, I really do not get it. I don't think the calories are off by that much as to throw off your whole lifestyle, or suddenly make you gain 2 pounds when you should have lost one.

I do not weigh much of my food at all. I have a food scale and use it IF I have something which actually requires me to use it. Otherwise I use the information listed on the package or what MFP has for it. I started on Feb 29th at 308 # and weigh in Monday at 255.2# a loss of 52.8# in 98 days. I put myself on a "strict" 1200 calorie a day diet for the first two months and now I log between 1200-1600 depending. I ride a stationary bike an hour+ a day and lift very light weights in the a.m. and p.m. for a short period of time..10 minutes each. I'm 57 years old.

I overestimate calories up if I have to, and underestimate calories burned to allow for some incidental incorrect calories. It is a lifestyle change not just a "diet" and at some point, I have to figure..I got this..I know what to eat and what not to eat?

I know the weight comes off easier, when you are really overweight, however. if you know your BMR, your TDEE and your approximate calorie intake, along with your ballpark calorie output, you can lose weight, or maintain, w/o weighing things, and worrying about little things? I know everyone is different, but I really don't get it.(Unless you fall in those certain categories I mentioned)

Maybe if I get down to 198 and have serious trouble losing anymore , I'll get more serious about it. But this is a lifestyle change, it should not, after time, require food scales and worrying over juice in a can..should it?

I am not suggesting that you stop using a food scale, or stop trying to determine how many calories you input and how many you output, but at some point it is overdoing it..isn't it?

Not a knock on people who use whatever tools they wish for success. I wish everyone a successful journey on whatever course they've chosen.

YMMV as always

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Here's one video on the issue. There's another as well that is really good, but I have to look a bit more for it.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

edit: ^figured out how to embed the video a couple posts down from this one
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies.

Choosing to weigh doesn't mean that one is only comfortable with what they know and not expanding. It just means they have found a method that works for them.

I don't know if there are "tendencies" to "understand" as much as there are different methods that people can choose based on their lifestyle, goals, and preferences.

It's controversial when intelligence or capability is discussed. So we better not go there. But think about this, as most things in life there tends to be superior ways and rudimentary ways. Do you think all fit people need to weigh? The answer is obviously No. If people could get fit without weighing, do you think they would take that option? Yes.