I understand and then I don't (scales and weighing and calorie worrying)

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies.

Choosing to weigh doesn't mean that one is only comfortable with what they know and not expanding. It just means they have found a method that works for them.

I don't know if there are "tendencies" to "understand" as much as there are different methods that people can choose based on their lifestyle, goals, and preferences.

It's controversial when intelligence or capability is discussed. So we better not go there. But think about this, as most things in life there tends to be superior ways and rudimentary ways. Do you think all fit people need to weigh? The answer is obviously No. If people could get fit without weighing, do you think they would take that option? Yes.

I do get this comment..

But, with MFP it is all about numbers.. Everything is about the numbers. Has nothing really to do with getting fit per se, etc....

If you hate numbers or math, then calorie counting is the absolutely wrong thing for you to be doing and should find an alternate way to achieve your goals.

Why OP is doing something he despises is what I do not understand.

There is always more than one way to get to the destination or to the end result, it is what you choose to get you there and the path you choose!
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've found a way that works for you and that you find sustainable.
    For me, weighing stuff is kind of a way of life now. It doesn't bother me.
    However I've got other factors at play too - weighing helps me be accurate with my carb count which helps me manage my type 1 diabetes better so I have a bigger payoff to the time invested in weighing things out.

Great work on getting more activity into your routine, it sounds like you're doing all kinds of good things for your health. :)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    My initial run with MFP I lost about 90 +/- pounds. Life stuff happened and I stopped logging and hitting the gym. However, I thought I "had" this thing. For the most part, I paid attention to what I thought I was eating, with a lot of eyeballing and guessing.

Fast forward to today. While I never gained all the weight back, I did gain a large chunk of it back. I've started tracking again and it has made the difference, down 20ish pounds in the last 2-2 1/2 months. Do I weigh everything? Nope. But I do make it a habit of weighing most things. I don't weigh pre-packaged food of the single serving variety, but if it's something where I only eat part of it, then yes, I weigh it when I am at home and have the scale handy. I'll never be one of those who brings a scale out to a restaurant...it's just not THAT important to me. I'll either not log it, count it as one of those days, and move on. The goal is to have more logged days than not logged days.

I still haven't gotten back in the gym, but tracking my food is what is currently working. I could probably lose more or eat more if I started back in the gym, I'm just...to be honest...too lazy for that at the moment. I don't want to take the time out to get it done. That's all on me. I'm in no hurry and so far what I'm doing is working; when it stops working, I'll do something else.

People lose weight different ways. That's not to say that it's still not calories in/calories out, but the way they go about CI/CO is different. Keto, paleo, IIFYM, vegan, etc., the goal is the same. The bottom line is to find what works for you, and when it stops working, change it up a little until you find something that you can maintain. Personally, I found what works for the dropping portion of the game, it's the maintaining that I need to work on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My initial run with MFP I lost about 90 +/- pounds. Life stuff happened and I stopped logging and hitting the gym. However, I thought I "had" this thing. For the most part, I paid attention to what I thought I was eating, with a lot of eyeballing and guessing.

Fast forward to today. While I never gained all the weight back, I did gain a large chunk of it back. I've started tracking again and it has made the difference, down 20ish pounds in the last 2-2 1/2 months. Do I weigh everything? Nope. But I do make it a habit of weighing most things. I don't weigh pre-packaged food of the single serving variety, but if it's something where I only eat part of it, then yes, I weigh it when I am at home and have the scale handy. I'll never be one of those who brings a scale out to a restaurant...it's just not THAT important to me. I'll either not log it, count it as one of those days, and move on. The goal is to have more logged days than not logged days.

I still haven't gotten back in the gym, but tracking my food is what is currently working. I could probably lose more or eat more if I started back in the gym, I'm just...to be honest...too lazy for that at the moment. I don't want to take the time out to get it done. That's all on me. I'm in no hurry and so far what I'm doing is working; when it stops working, I'll do something else.

People lose weight different ways. That's not to say that it's still not calories in/calories out, but the way they go about CI/CO is different. Keto, paleo, IIFYM, vegan, etc., the goal is the same. The bottom line is to find what works for you, and when it stops working, change it up a little until you find something that you can maintain. Personally, I found what works for the dropping portion of the game, it's the maintaining that I need to work on.

I agree with most of your post, just want to point out that veganism isn't a weight loss plan. It's an ethical position. The goal is to avoid unnecessary animal exploitation, not to lose weight.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You are 100% right of course but, a food scale is $10 and makes it easy for me to portion about my food. This way I eat a single serving instead of entire bag of chips. It's about the same effort to just put the bowl on the scale and toss some in so why not? If I'm eating an entire container of something or if im out I don't fret using the estimate on the label but,if I'm portion controlling at home and I'm not going to create an extra dish to wash it's not really any extra effort and it saves me from over indulging
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're losing, then it's not an issue. The problem comes when people are closer to their goal weight, think they are logging accurately, when in reality it's very easy to eat several hundred more calories than they think they are every day which adds up really quickly.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I find it very strange that you have such a strong opinion about something you seem to not care about.

If I had to guess I'd say that you are worried and bothered by the idea that you may have to start tracking your calories more accurately to continue to lose weight.

That's what I said in a longer version..
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I find it very strange that you have such a strong opinion about something you seem to not care about.

If I had to guess I'd say that you are worried and bothered by the idea that you may have to start tracking your calories more accurately to continue to lose weight.

That's what I said in a longer version..

That's cause I liked it Roxie ;)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've never weighed or measured foods, and I only log periodically, and have lost about 50 lbs and kept it off for nearly three years. I'm currently in maintenance (after losing the baby weight from my fourth pregnancy), but I seem to still be losing about .25 lbs per week on average (I'm 142 lbs currently). I imagine that will stop eventually. For me, simply sticking to foods that promote satiety is the key (I was never a boredom eater, an emotional eater, or a stress eater, so I didn't have those concerns). Logging (based on eyeballing) shows me that my calories tend to be all over the place (as low as 1200 some days, high as 2500 others) but it all seems to average out.

That said, I found what works for me. Had I ever gotten "stuck" I would have known (thanks to this site) to start weighing and measuring to get a more accurate picture of how much I am eating. As it stands I only have a ball park guess. I think the reason that weighing gets so heavily promoted here is because there are so many "I'm eating X number of calories and still not losing" type posts, where the person is eyeballing, or using imprecise measurements (package labels, measuring cups and spoons) and so only has a ball park guess as to their true consumption. Eyeballing is great, if you are good at it (one of many useless talents I possess, lol). But most people suck at it. And no wonder - portion sizes, package sizes, heck, even plate sizes have all increased dramatically in recent years warping our sense of what a "serving" really is.

Weighing is a useful tool. One that many people use with great success. As you get closer to goal, OP, you may find that you need to use it too.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Great work so far :) you probably have another little while before you might have to use a scale, maybe not! I think you have a great mindset. Worrying doesn't do us any good, anyway. Living a healthy life is much better than worrying.