Do you allow yourself to eat sweets??

Options
So just wondering how many people allow themselves sweets if it fits within their cals, carbs, sugar and fat? If you do, how often and how much success have you had in your weight loss?

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want when I want within moderation... granted I don't enjoy a full size candy bar every day. I enjoy the fun sized treats that are easier on calorie counts :wink:

I think that when you don't that is what causes "binging" and therefore the thoughts of failure.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I allow my self to eat everything in moderation. If the overwhelming majority of your calories come from vegetables, fruits, lean protein, etc. there is no reason why you can't have something sweet here and there. Most people fail at diets because they make food choices that are unsustainable, e.g. No sweets! No pizza! No hamburgers!

If you told me I can only have a cookie once a month, guess what I will crave daily? A cookie! :tongue:
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat sweets everyday. I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. I have lost 34 lbs, I only look at my calorie intake and I don't pay attention to my sugar, carbs, or fat info. I can say that for myself, I would never stick to any sort of weight loss plan if I didn't allow myself a twix mini during the day.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    When I started i told myself I was NOT giving up all junk food, It just doesn't work for me. I allow myself snacks. I love sugar free jello and pudding, that is helpful. But what I recommend, and do myself. Is buy a bag of mini bite size candy bars and freeze em, then you feel that nitch, grab ONE. . it helps me! but I only grab ONE. . .doesn't work for everyone. .
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I do. As long as it's in my range, it hasn't seemed to affect my weight loss. I limit myself to one or two a day in an effort to wean myself off so much sugar. Already started on the soda.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do, just every once in awhile. I don't keep sweets in the house, but if an occasion comes up, I'll have a little. Had a piece of cake during a coworker's retirement party yesterday. I worked it into my daily calories. This morning, I weighed 1 pound less than yesterday. Probably just a fluke, but I was jumping up and down!
  • YVL93
    YVL93 Posts: 121
    Options
    i allow my self one cookie once in a while when im craving. i ve learned the hard way that moderation is key. i ve binged several times from going cold turkey. it was BAD
  • YVL93
    YVL93 Posts: 121
    Options
    i allow my self one cookie once in a while when im craving. i ve learned the hard way that moderation is key. i ve binged several times from going cold turkey. it was BAD
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Of course. As someone commented yesterday on another post. This is not a diet. It is a LIVEit.

I'm not losing as fast as some others, but I'm losing... and getting healthier and more fit as I go. (see tickers below).
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I do as I find if I restrict myself from them, then I go overboard and am in a worse place than having small amounts often.
  • ktmcqueen
    ktmcqueen Posts: 81
    Options
    I do let myself eat sweets b/c if I don't I will end up craving it later on it the week and it always ends up being on a bad day. I do it about once a week at the most and it's a simple candy bar, like a milky way caramel. And I try my best to have it on a day when I have calories left over so I don't go over. You can let youself enjoy something. Just make sure there's moderation. So far I've lost 8 lbs according to my ticker but when I weighed in today it looked like I've lost 10-11 lbs.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I do, bvut I dont typically keep them in the house. And i eat the full fat version there's no point in the diet if youre going to eat it! As long as it fits in my calorie goals it hasnt hindered my weightloss. If anything it has helped because I dont feel deprived or likely to binge
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try to limit myself to natural sugars- like fruit. In the beginning I was really craving sugar, but that urge has really faded now that I have been on MFP for a month. If anything, I will have a skinny cow ice cream bar at the end of the day- delicious and healthy :).
  • hunterzmomma
    hunterzmomma Posts: 121
    Options
    i always do!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I allow my self to eat everything in moderation. If the overwhelming majority of your calories come from vegetables, fruits, lean protein, etc. there is no reason why you can't have something sweet here and there. Most people fail at diets because they make food choices that are unsustainable, e.g. No sweets! No pizza! No hamburgers!

If you told me I can only have a cookie once a month, guess what I will crave daily? A cookie! :tongue:

Sure do! My MFPals always get a nice chuckle when they see the fun size Kit Kat bars in my food diary. I allow myself to have sweets in moderation. Plus I buy small containers of things or smaller sizes (mini-Oreo cups, 9 mini cookies for like 130, 100 snack packs, etc.) and NO purchases of whole cakes or big bags of cookies. I know I like sweets so I find tricks to work around it.

Matter of fact, off to get a kit kat right now =)
  • fittina
    fittina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree.If you have sweet tooth,you will probably be thinking about sweets all day long.If you don't allow yourself a small treat,you will probably be binging.
  • cpauscher
    cpauscher Posts: 41
    Options
    I agree with the others that have answered. I could not give up my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but I don't have them every day and I buy the fun size instead of fullsize. You can eat what you want as long and you don't go nuts with it. Just load up with lots of fruit and veggies everyday. Good luck.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes I do but it's really rare, mainly because they have sooo many carbs (sugar) I'll never be under on that, plus it's hard to stay under cals without sacrificing other foods that have things I try to get alot of (protein)

I usually have a packet of sweets or popcorn when I'm at the cinema and just accept that I'm going to be over that day - at least on carbs. It didn't impact on weight loss as it wasn't a regular thing. Any other time I have them it's usually just stealing a couple of my bf's when he gets a pack of those fizzy cola laces ;p yum! I don't buy for myself and store in the house or I'll eat them all at once lol
  • thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Of course!! No restrictions on food allowed for me. If I restrict I binge. This is a lifestyle and I can't do without sweets for the rest of my life!
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I find that my pm snack of natural creamy peanut butter & sliced Gala or Fuji apples IS like a sweet and crunchy treat to me but doesn't wreck all I have accomplished that day.
    I also like to keep yogurt covered raisins or yogurt covered almonds around in case I need a little sweet chewy or sweet crunchy treat. I can have like 18 pcs in one serving and I don't usually eat that many so that is good.

Better than some other things I could be eating...lol

Seems to be working well so far.

For me, it seems that I do better off of sugar. I don't do any artificial sweeteners.
    When I have sugar, I seem to crave more sugar. When I am off sugar, I am more energetic and less sluggish.

I hope you find something that works for you

Keep on ...keepin' on....