I understand and then I don't (scales and weighing and calorie worrying)

Options

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Thanks, PAV. I like what you wrote. Gonna take time to go through it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    PAV--enjoyed your reasoning and agree with it. Congratulations on a great loss. Even though you're using a shovel--you've made it.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have very little to lose and even 100 cal more or less makes a big difference to me. So weighing my food (especially high calorie foods like peanut butter) is super important for me.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing is far less burdensome for me, but that's because I'm fairly relaxed about my weight loss. I shoot for a pound and a half per week...a pound makes me happy, 2 pounds makes me very happy. I don't have a particular goal weight, so I really don't understand the people who fight tooth and nail for the last 6 pounds.

I say, do whatever works for you...maybe though, someone should start a group for people who don't weigh food. It's kinda lonely out here. I thought it was only me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing is far less burdensome for me, but that's because I'm fairly relaxed about my weight loss. I shoot for a pound and a half per week...a pound makes me happy, 2 pounds makes me very happy. I don't have a particular goal weight, so I really don't understand the people who fight tooth and nail for the last 6 pounds.

I say, do whatever works for you...maybe though, someone should start a group for people who don't weigh food. It's kinda lonely out here. I thought it was only me.

There are actually a lot of people here who don't weigh; in fact, a lot of the "veteran" posters don't even log anymore. But since most posters are asking questions because they are struggling to lose weight, the easiest first answer is, "Start weighing and logging everything." Because it's hard to tell what someone is doing wrong if they have been eyeballing or not consistently logging. And that way they can see in black and white what is going wrong. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:

As far as your second part, I am not quite happy with the shape I'm in, so I am trying to lose a little weight. I'm not fighting for a particular number, I'm just curious if another 5 lbs will make the difference. The food scale is second nature to me and does not cause me stress or use up extra time. I doubt that explanation would cover everyone (or even most) trying to lose a small number of lbs, but that's me. I also find having a goal helps me to continue to eat right! :drinker:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "All of this.
    Got a huge deficit you can do, you've got a ton of leeway for incorrect estimates. Take advantage of it. No reason to be nitpicky and make things difficult if you're being successful.
    When you don't have that much leeway, lots of people find that weight loss is not so easy. That's when weighing comes in. "

Once again, I acknowledged this in my original post? I think perhaps some are taking offense w/o really reading what I wrote? I said "I know the weight comes off easier, when you are really overweight" and then "Maybe if I get down to 198 and have serious trouble losing anymore , I'll get more serious about it. But this is a lifestyle change, it should not, after time, require food scales and worrying over juice in a can..should it?"

So I basically said in my original post exactly what you just said and a slew of people liked..which means nobody read what I posted..they rushed to post? This happens a lot in online forums.

My thought is..as the first replier to my post said "those of us that got many years under our belts, we will stick with what we know and what works for us!"

I never said CHANGE what you're doing. I didn't say it was dumb or incorrect or stupid. I simply thought, if you have years under your belt, I would think at some point you would be able to tell what you can eat, what is good for you, what to avoid, how much to eat and so on.

My intent was not to antagonize people..or question what they were doing? I have only read a few thoughts, but that surely looks where the responses are headed to me. Defensive replies to what is perceived as an attack on what they do? That was not the intent of my original post.

Just FYI - you might want to start using the quote button when you're responding to people. Otherwise, we don't get a notification. Plus, it makes it harder to find and read in the thread.

I am confused as to why you'd think a number of posts basically agreeing with your initial statement equates to people taking offense. Or why you'd think that meant that people didn't read the OP. You said you got it, but you didn't. People posted to confirm that yes, you understand the concept but obviously didn't need to use it yet - understanding why you 'don't get it'. No offense taken there.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I've been in maintenance for years now, and still weigh and measure? Honestly, the only 'lifestyle change' I made is to be aware of how much I'm eating and how much I've been moving and balance the two. I'm short and light, so I pretty much have to weigh and measure in order to do that if I want to be able to eat things significantly more calorie dense than boneless skinless chicken breast and steamed veg regularly. And I do. I very much do.

ETA: I don't weigh and measure at restaurants. No need for me, I usually eat out a couple of times a week and make sure to save up for those.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Do I understand why people weigh and measure? Of course, practically, I do.
    I suppose if the question was "Do I understand HOW people are able to do that" then the answer would be no, I really dont get it!

Different personalities or different food preparation ways.

I totally get it, horses for courses.

Im not judging my way as better or worse, just as "what works for me".

My personality is such that weighing everything would really grind me down and have me say "forget it" with the whole thing, thats how Im wired. If I keep it a little more 'casual' (though I am very conservative in how I judge) then I stick to it happily.

I got the results I wanted, and as you are in maintenance I assume you did too, so its not as if one size fits all.

• endlessfall16
    Options
    OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies.

Choosing to weigh doesn't mean that one is only comfortable with what they know and not expanding. It just means they have found a method that works for them.

I don't know if there are "tendencies" to "understand" as much as there are different methods that people can choose based on their lifestyle, goals, and preferences.

It's controversial when intelligence or capability is discussed. So we better not go there. But think about this, as most things in life there tends to be superior ways and rudimentary ways. Do you think all fit people need to weigh? The answer is obviously No. If people could get fit without weighing, do you think they would take that option? Yes.

If people could get fit without counting calories, they'd probably do that too. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with using calorie counting as a tool for weight loss or that the people who choose it are only comfortable with what they know and don't want to expand.

Food scales, calorie databases, . . . these things are just tools. I don't think one can make assumptions about broader personality traits based on someone choosing to use certain tools for weight loss over others.

You are getting ahead of yourself. I never said anything wrong with counting. In fact it's the right way if that's all you know and are getting results. Actually there's no right or wrong. It's just effectiveness and the cost of it. Many people still use shovels to move dirt. Then, there are those who use tractors. :)

To me counting is just a rudimentary approach to controlling weight.

You're still assuming it is "all I know." I've tried not weighing, it didn't work well for me. I'm not choosing this out of not knowing what is out there. I'm choosing it because I know what options are available and this is what works best for me. Why is that so hard to understand?

In my book, that means you don't know not weighing.

But enough debating like this. If you don't understand my logic above, I doubt any more debating would help.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies.

Choosing to weigh doesn't mean that one is only comfortable with what they know and not expanding. It just means they have found a method that works for them.

I don't know if there are "tendencies" to "understand" as much as there are different methods that people can choose based on their lifestyle, goals, and preferences.

It's controversial when intelligence or capability is discussed. So we better not go there. But think about this, as most things in life there tends to be superior ways and rudimentary ways. Do you think all fit people need to weigh? The answer is obviously No. If people could get fit without weighing, do you think they would take that option? Yes.

If people could get fit without counting calories, they'd probably do that too. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with using calorie counting as a tool for weight loss or that the people who choose it are only comfortable with what they know and don't want to expand.

Food scales, calorie databases, . . . these things are just tools. I don't think one can make assumptions about broader personality traits based on someone choosing to use certain tools for weight loss over others.

You are getting ahead of yourself. I never said anything wrong with counting. In fact it's the right way if that's all you know and are getting results. Actually there's no right or wrong. It's just effectiveness and the cost of it. Many people still use shovels to move dirt. Then, there are those who use tractors. :)

You're still assuming it is "all I know." I've tried not weighing, it didn't work well for me. I'm not choosing this out of not knowing what is out there. I'm choosing it because I know what options are available and this is what works best for me. Why is that so hard to understand?

But enough debating like this. If you don't understand my logic above, I doubt any more debating would help.

So your premise is anyone who prefers using a certain tool to not using a certain tool is just wrong (AKA, doesn't "know" what you know). That can't be proven or disproven and there isn't really a way for anyone to engage with that.

What you've posted above isn't "logic." It's just your opinion on what people who choose to use a scale don't know, based on your assumption of what is going on in our minds.

Look at the logic of your statement "I've tried not weighing, it didn't work well for me. "

That's like, a travel guide saying I know the city, and then he gets in detours, delays, etc. but eventually gets you to your destination whereas other guides get their tourists to their destination expeditely.

That's like, a new hire saying I know how to use the computer to produce a company letter, and she takes days to produce an average document, whereas people are known to be able to produce a great letter in an hour.

But when I point out to the example travel guide and the new hire that they do not really know what they are doing, they fight back and say that's not logic; it's just my opinion. LOL.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I don't think you understand how condescending your comments in this thread have been.

"In fact it's the right way if that's all you know"
    "Many people still use shovels to move dirt. Then, there are those who use tractors. :)"
    "To me counting is just a rudimentary approach to controlling weight."

I guess you don't mean it that way?

I use a food scale because I am naturally analytical and detail-oriented, I enjoy numbers and prefer accuracy. Not because I am not advanced enough to eyeball correct portion sizes. But I'm glad that way works for you!

Frankly I don't think it's anything negative if it opens some people's eyes. In fact there are people who were wondering if they have to do weighing long term. You happen to not like what I write, a fact, so you see it as condescending. I already pointed out in previous post that it comes down to personality as how one interprets his/her surrounding.

What I am doing is NOT unlike others telling struggling people to try this and that, especially weighing as a better way over not weighing (the struggling folks' way)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I don't think you understand how condescending your comments in this thread have been.

"In fact it's the right way if that's all you know"
    "Many people still use shovels to move dirt. Then, there are those who use tractors. :)"
    "To me counting is just a rudimentary approach to controlling weight."

I guess you don't mean it that way?

I use a food scale because I am naturally analytical and detail-oriented, I enjoy numbers and prefer accuracy. Not because I am not advanced enough to eyeball correct portion sizes. But I'm glad that way works for you!

Frankly I don't think it's anything negative if it opens some people's eyes. In fact there are people who were wondering if they have to do weighing long term. You happen to not like what I write, a fact, so you see it as condescending. I already pointed out in previous post that it comes down to personality as how one interprets his/her surrounding.

What I am doing is NOT unlike others telling struggling people to try this and that, especially weighing as a better way over not weighing (the struggling folks' way)

So the issue is not what you said, but that I can't read it objectively. Got it!