June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hope your *capybara* transplant goes well @Elise4270! :trollface: Seriously though, hope it clears up all that pain in the *kitten*.

4leighbee wrote: »
    Running a 5K this Saturday...I know what I once ran, what I should be able to run, and what I will actually run...
    Yep, 3.1 miles! :trollface: You got this!!! It's the length that matters, and the more time, the fun you have! Or so I'm told.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Today I picked up my blood tests and found out my serum iron levels are low (as I suspected). I never eat the iron foods (liver, red meat, spinach, sea food etc). Last time I had red meat was like in December. The good news is most of my other tests (except from high lymphocyte that might be because my body is in constant trauma for the past year from all this exercise) are good. Red cells are good and all that so I'm not anemic (yet). But I decided I should go and take some iron supplements for a month or two and then check it again. Maybe start eating some spinach and red meat. I hear egg yolks also have some iron. And sugary cereals with vitamins and iron yeyy. At least my cholesterol is low and my triglycerides are at minimum.

So daily reminder to check your iron once in a while. Especially if you are feeling tired all the time

Just a reminder that calcium and iron compete for absorption. Calcium wins. Might look into a cast iron skillet? I don't know if you drink tea, but that also interferes with absorption .

I take spatone pursorb iron water with vitiman C once or twice a week depending on how I feel/or remember. It's a natural low dose, no GI issues. I was told it takes 6 months to get your iron up, I have no idea if that's true.

Last check mine was 44 whatever units, where less than 40 is undesirable. Good luck!

Don't burst my bubble I just have an excuse to buy cereals and I shall have cereals, haven't had any in months :))

I'll buy a low dose Iron Supplement, nothing major I don't want to get too much. I can find them from 10 mg to 100 mg but the daily ratio is something like 10 mg so I think I will go with something like that. Will do blood tests again in a few months to see if it changes anything. I know it must be taken on an empty stomach though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Oooh, @AdrianCr92... :wink: I see.... um, then cereal has iron fillings for the iron content. It's immune to calcium. *Statement not evaluated by USDA, fda, epa, aaa, aka. :grin:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I was a bit more busy today than I expected to be. Was able to get in 1.61 or so miles in. So I'm happy with that, I didn't count the walking I did around, so at least in my head I know it was a little more than 2 miles.

exercise.png
  • ryanclifton8321
    ryanclifton8321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• ryanclifton8321
    ryanclifton8321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Upcoming races: August 5k in DC.
    September: half marathon in V.A Beach
    November: marathon in Richmond
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Doc's office called and would like to move my surgery date to the 16th, next week.

Ya, I'm all about it. My hip* hurts the more I run. I'm anxious to get training for the fall races with @whatmerunning and @ceciliaslater and be done with this whole *squirrel* mess and put it BEHIND me.

hip* is really my *kitten*. Thought I'd be polite, but really, we know each other too well for that nonsense. Unless your new, then I apologize (not really, but we can pretend for a mo).

I hear you on "hip" issues. I politely refer to my *kitten* as my "tail bone" issues.

It is an important bit of anatomy for both running and ...you know, the rest of your whole life, too.

I wish you the best. I wish I had known that when the doctor told me "you'll be feeling better within a week or so" what she really meant was that I'd be off percocet sometime between week one and week two. Today is almost a month out from surgery and she told me excitedly that I should be "healed up" by my next visit...a month from now. Ugh. But I'm still glad I did the surgery, because I can already tell that the pain that sent me in in the first place is gone.

The offer to move surgery up a month couldn't have been offered at a better time. 9 running miles, 4 hours driving, and up and down the hill yesterday hauling off a tree, I'm hurting just enough to be agitated. Oh not to forget, pushing a shopping cart or the like, hurts..

The other surgeries I had (oral, gallbladder, tubal reversal, and a tummy tuck) I took scripts for a day or two. Nothing more. I'm hoping this one will not require more than that. Although, it's a very unhappy area. I'm not keen on narcotics, they make me sick. And constipated. I use to be tough, but I think this pain has changed that. :cold_sweat: This surgery is dealing with nerves, sciatic and pudendal. :scream:

Edit: I'm glad the surgery is paying off for you! Thanks for the well wishes.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    it was perfect running weather.
    Tomorrow night is a pub run, which I'm super excited for. 6+ miles of social fun followed by free beer? Always a good time!
    @kristinegift Yea Pub Runs. Once we get our local club through all of their major summer races we are planning a 7 Hills Run - followed by 7 Pubs Fun Night. Of course I should mention that when you have all 7 Hills completed it will be equal to a HM Distance. I believe we are a bit ambitious / *razy / foolish. Might be a lot of sleepers after the 2nd pub. But in fairness we did a spring HM in Jasper AB ( Mountain Park ) and then managed 4 pubs before we called it a night.

@PoppetsMaster Here's a few you might be interested in; Sinister 7 Ultra ( gotta love the name )
    0-99 runners usualy take part in the race. The number of participants is capped to 1400

" Welcome to the Sinister 7 Ultra — a race that may be greatest challenge of your life. The 100 mile (161km) course will take you through the most rugged, remote and beautiful terrain in Alberta’s stunning Rocky Mountains. With 5,687m of elevation gain across the course, this race will punish those who are not prepared.

The Sinister 7 is open to solo runners or teams of up to seven and racers have 30 hours to complete the gruelling event. The course is split into seven stages, each featuring a geographic and historic highlight of the area. The race’s name is inspired by the treacherous Seven Sisters Mountain that looms over much of the course."

Welcome to the Iron Legs 60km, 50 miler and relay, held near Bragg Creek in Kananaskis Country, Alberta.

The 60km race takes you up onto a ridge before looping around through a valley and coming back over the ridge and towards the finish. The course offers amazing views of the Canadian Rockies and fantastic single track that will challenge all those on the course.

The 50 mile trail run beside an up onto Moose Mountain, offers fantastic single track and stunning views of the Canadian Rockies. The course is mostly on single track trails with some fire roads and lots of elevation change.

Lost Souls Ultra 100 mile, 100 km or 50 km. All ready full.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59
    6/3 dog nursing
    6/4 worked unplanned, unexpected overtime. crap.
    6/5 5.39
    6/6 dog nursing....DH was longingly looking at his weedwhacker. I spelled him to go whack off.
    6/7 5.31
    6/8 3.60

Total 17.89

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: sometime in June or July......when dog needs less nursing
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    I have been away for too long... I have running updates to post but that will have to wait until tomorrow and I am not caught up on everyone. I have to say coming back here after being away a bit is like coming home! I have missed all of you, my crazy running family!

@Elise4270 - go for the early run on the surgery! I am hoping for a great recovery and off to the races for you!!
    @instantmartian - I have multiple Road Ids that connect with velcro to my running shoes. I have finally stopped carrying Id with me, however I do have an extra copy of my drivers license (long story) that I do carry on occasion.
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options

exercise.png

As expected, I didn't get around to running for a whole week, ugh. I'll have to run more often for the rest of the month!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    June 1     5.1      5.1  
    June 2     5.6     10.7  
    June 4     5.8     16.5 
    June 5     4.2     20.7 
    June 7     4.2     24.9 
    June 9     5.1     30.0 

exercise.png
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    06/07 3.1 miles 1st run back enjoyed being back running after over a week kept it short but hilly
    06/08 4.5 miles Joined a running group for the first time lovely bunch of people was a 30 min out and back run and someone stayed with me for the whole of the run.

exercise.png

05/29 Edinburgh half marathon 2:59:05
    10/09 Oxford Vitality half marathon