Low carb

Options
13»

Replies

• FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    asaber1616 wrote: »

Oh I know it does. I guess it wasn't doable for me. I consider simple carbs to be anything processed. My carbs came from either the ground or a tree lol

Okay, thanks. That's not too too far off from a nutrition definition of complex carbohydrate I guess. Though "ground" plants tend to be pretty high in carbs and not part of many low carbers diets (like potatoes). Again, I return to my OP: glad you figured out what doesn't work for you. That's half the battle

I was about to throw that in my last comment actually! I guess there's variations to this diet huh. I did cut out potatoes and white rice. Occasionally I would have brown rice though
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I can respect that. However, I would never wish what I had to go through, thanks to the no carb fad, upon anyone. It truly is not healthy in the long haul. My hope is to simply warn those who are looking into it..
    It's not a fad.
    and
    Perhaps you were doing it wrong?

signed: not low carb.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I became so obsessive over what I was eating on low carb. I kept count of everything to make sure I was getting enough protein and fats to make up for the carbs. I'm finding that there's lots of research showing that it's not healthy to limit or put retrictions on food groups..

But healthy to put restrictions on or limit calories. Got it.

Perhaps it was you.

Well, limiting food groups is a bit different than limiting calories, because the more varied your diet, the more likely you are to meet your nutrient needs. You can certainly be successful on more restrictive diets and many people are, but you're likely to need to pay greater attention to nutrients that you might be lacking.

Does that make limiting a macro "unhealthy"?

Not necessarily. In fact even very restrictive diets can often be healthy, just that the more restrictive you are, the more effort you tend to need to put into nutrition as a general rule. If you eat a highly varied diet you likely don't need to care as much.

So you can definitely be healthy and limit carbs, but you might need to expend extra effort. For example, taking low carb to the extreme, in ketosis one tends to lose more potassium in the urine. That, combined with the fact that many of the best sources of potassium are carb-heavy means you may need to pay attention to getting sufficient potassium. It's certainly possible, but you might have to plan for it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I can respect that. However, I would never wish what I had to go through, thanks to the no carb fad, upon anyone. It truly is not healthy in the long haul. My hope is to simply warn those who are looking into it..
    It's not a fad.
    and

Maybe, but I doubt it. I became so obsessive over what I was eating on low carb. I kept count of everything to make sure I was getting enough protein and fats to make up for the carbs. I'm finding that there's lots of research showing that it's not healthy to limit or put retrictions on food groups..

Perhaps it was you.

Well, limiting food groups is a bit different than limiting calories, because the more varied your diet, the more likely you are to meet your nutrient needs. You can certainly be successful on more restrictive diets and many people are, but you're likely to need to pay greater attention to nutrients that you might be lacking.

Does that make limiting a macro "unhealthy"?

Not necessarily. In fact even very restrictive diets can often be healthy, just that the more restrictive you are, the more effort you tend to need to put into nutrition as a general rule. If you eat a highly varied diet you likely don't need to care as much.

So you can definitely be healthy and limit carbs, but you might need to expend extra effort. For example, taking low carb to the extreme, in ketosis one tends to lose more potassium in the urine. That, combined with the fact that many of the best sources of potassium are carb-heavy means you may need to pay attention to getting sufficient potassium.

Yup.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

There's a difference between cutting back on calories and cutting out an entire food group

Low carb is a big range really, some can't tolerate any carbs, some do fine on 25-30 g per day, others need @50g a day, still others will eat up to 150g of carbs per day.

There is a difference between limiting something and cutting it out entirely.

But guess what? You now know LC is not for you. You're so lucky, you are learning what you need now instead of waiting til you are middle aged or older. I think you should be proud of yourself.

BTW, you are lovely in that profile pic.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

There's a difference between cutting back on calories and cutting out an entire food group

Low carb is a big range really, some can't tolerate any carbs, some do fine on 25-30 g per day, others need @50g a day, still others will eat up to 150g of carbs per day.

But guess what? You now know LC is not for you. You're so lucky, you are learning what you need now instead of waiting til you are middle aged or older. I think you should be proud of yourself.

You're right. I shouldn't beat myself up, I should move on knowing that restriction just isn't my thing
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

You're right. I shouldn't beat myself up, I should move on knowing that restriction just isn't my thing

Thank you for the compliment! That picture is my goal. I'm currently about 15lbs heavier
  • mammaskinny
    mammaskinny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did try atkins before and it worked for a while then got boring and I ended up putting all the weight back on and more. I do however believe in a moderate carb diet while trying to lose weight. So the program I used and helped me to shed 15kg and my husband 30kg based on a 6wks cycle which starts with 3 days of protein only no more than 10g carbs, then normal diet of between 60-65g carbs/day for females and 70-80g carbs/day for males, with the exception of protein only every Monday for a period of 4wks, then gradually increase food and carbs for 2 weeks. The idea is to keep your metabolism fired up to burn fat. I have no problem maintaining my weight now despite of eating normal diet with a good amount of carbs around 120-150g/day. The point is everything in moderation is the way to go and figuring out how to keep your body burning fat even when you are asleep at night.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    I did try atkins before and it worked for a while then got boring and I ended up putting all the weight back on and more. I do however believe in a moderate carb diet while trying to lose weight. So the program I used and helped me to shed 15kg and my husband 30kg based on a 6wks cycle which starts with 3 days of protein only no more than 10g carbs, then normal diet of between 60-65g carbs/day for females and 70-80g carbs/day for males, with the exception of protein only every Monday for a period of 4wks, then gradually increase food and carbs for 2 weeks. The idea is to keep your metabolism fired up to burn fat. I have no problem maintaining my weight now despite of eating normal diet with a good amount of carbs around 120-150g/day. The point is everything in moderation is the way to go and figuring out how to keep your body burning fat even when you are asleep at night.

I might give this a try. So on Mondays you only ate protein right? After the initial 3 day low carb? Also, how many fats did you eat?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I might give this a try. So on Mondays you only ate protein right? After the initial 3 day low carb? Also, how many fats did you eat?

OP, why don't you stick with something simple? You have already discovered that one restrictive diet didn't work for you, how do you think another will work? Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. How you achieve only matters to you. So going with this or that diet will only help in terms of dietary compliance. One does not accelerate fat loss over another pending calories are equal. So why not concentrate on foods you enjoy that will help keep you full and help you achieve your goal.

Also, your metabolism is always active because it's all the chemical processes to maintain a living state. And yes, you will burn calories from digesting food (thermal effect of food) it is very minimal and those calories burned through digestion will occur whether you eat 1x a day or 5x a day. More importantly, if you are in a calorie deficit, your body will have more periods of lipolysis (breakdown of energy) than it will have periods of lipogenesis (storage of energy). Lipogenesis occurs after you eat.

So what are your goals? If it's just to get trim, have a small calorie deficit (1/2 lb per week), have adequate protein (~.6-.8g per lb of weight) and do resistance training and mix in cardio.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

What did you go through?
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Never mind...I see it.
    Have you decided what course you're going to take now?
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

So glad you know more than my doctor or the dietician I have seen. Some people have medical conditions that make it difficult to lose weight while eating the same percentage of carbs as orhers. Not every body is the same and not every person can lose the same way.

• TalkersNeverWin
    TalkersNeverWin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keto (low carb) has it's ups and downs. If anyone is considering trying it, here is what I've found to be the good and bad of low-carb:

Cons:
    -You will definitely have cravings. Cravings so insane that it will make you feel like a drug addict.
    (Our bodies are biologically inclined to eat sugar. So when we cut it out, our bodies freak out quite bad.)

-IF you cheat, you tend to feel like you just ruined your entire diet.
    (If you struggle getting "back on the horse" after a bad experience, keto is not your diet.)

Pros:
    - Unlimited portions.
    (Low carb basically means you can eat whatever. It's VERY hard to consume enough calories on low-carb to escape deficit)
    - No "special rules".
    (Calorie counting is hard for some. It was tedious for me for years until MFP. Now I do it pretty seamlessly. Also bought a food scale which was a HUGGGEEEE help. Low-carb basically means you eat meat & SOME fruits and vegetables.)
    - Insane weight loss.
    (Low carb will make weight fall off FAST. Youll lose like 5 lbs within the first week. It's all water/glycogen, but it's a great start to boost some people's motivation. But it's insanely hard and intimidating to some. )

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

Some people work better on keto. Some don't.

I (personally) try to keep my carbs low. Ketosis keeps me out of mental fog and boosts my energy levels through the roof. But I've now found a way to count my calories AND stay low-carb, which helps me to have a small sugar blast when I'm having a rough day.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Given that I know people who have lived happy low-carb lives for over a decade I'm gonna say the restrictions bit you in the bum, but that has no bearing on anyone else's potential to succeed living LC. I personally have found my relationship with food much improved on low carb, so its too bad you found the opposite to be true.

IIFYM CICO seems popular on MFP, maybe you'll be happier doing that?

CICO everybody does that no matter what diet you are doing.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Guys, I came on here to let some steam off and express my opinion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I really don't appreciate the name calling..

What name calling?? I have not seen any.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keto (low carb) has it's ups and downs. If anyone is considering trying it, here is what I've found to be the good and bad of low-carb:

Cons:
    -You will definitely have cravings. Cravings so insane that it will make you feel like a drug addict.
    (Our bodies are biologically inclined to eat sugar. So when we cut it out, our bodies freak out quite bad.)

(If you struggle getting "back on the horse" after a bad experience, keto is not your diet.)

Pros:
    - Unlimited portions.
    (Low carb basically means you can eat whatever. It's VERY hard to consume enough calories on low-carb to escape deficit)
    - No "special rules".
    (Calorie counting is hard for some. It was tedious for me for years until MFP. Now I do it pretty seamlessly. Also bought a food scale which was a HUGGGEEEE help. Low-carb basically means you eat meat & SOME fruits and vegetables.)
    - Insane weight loss.
    (Low carb will make weight fall off FAST. Youll lose like 5 lbs within the first week. It's all water/glycogen, but it's a great start to boost some people's motivation. But it's insanely hard and intimidating to some. )

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

I (personally) try to keep my carbs low. Ketosis keeps me out of mental fog and boosts my energy levels through the roof. But I've now found a way to count my calories AND stay low-carb, which helps me to have a small sugar blast when I'm having a rough day.

You have to control portions on low carb because you can still gain weight. You just so happen are eating foods that make you feel full which makes it more difficult for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Cons:

Pros:
    - Unlimited portions.
    - No "special rules".
    - Insane weight loss.

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

You have to control portions on low carb because you can still gain weight. You just so happen are eating foods that make you feel full which makes it more difficult for you.

Yep, so many people they can ignore calories when going low carb. It is harder to overeat, but it can definitely be done.

As for the cravings mentioned by the previous poster. One of the main reasons I went keto was to control those cravings, and it did, they pretty much disappeared.

• ringrosie
    ringrosie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy low carb, and have done so for years. I have more energy, I don't feel deprived (and it's so simple - if I'm hungry, I eat....what a concept!). I've found that there are a ton of recipes online, zillions of sugar-free treats to choose from, and with a few substitutions I can knock off almost every craving if I have one. It's so important to remember that low carb isn't no carb - consuming complex carbs, and high fiber foods and veggies go a long way towards enjoying a balanced lifestyle. Not to mention, grocery shopping is a snap when you get to avoid all of the middle aisles! If anyone has tips and tricks, or rad recipes, I hope you'll share!