I understand and then I don't (scales and weighing and calorie worrying)

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    [quote="VioletRojo;36724707
    Because it's not about what you eat, but how much. I gained weight eating healthy, whole foods. I lost weight eating healthy, whole foods, just less of them. I I were to rely on eyeballing or satiety cues, I'd never be able to maintain my weight; that's what got me in trouble in the first place.

I did the math one time and I gained my weight eating only about 180 extra calories a day. Those 180 calories crept up on me slowly over time. 180 calories doesn't seem like much, but it's incredibly easy to eat 180 unneeded calories a day if you're not watching it. Weighing is how I watch it.

[/quote]

Violet...Thanks..makes perfect sense..and WOW..only 180 extra calories a day. This is something I can file in my memory banks..as in..down the road..if I am uncertain of calories in..I'd like to make sure, I burn some extra calories..just in case..
    Appreciate your thoughts!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    All..I have time for tonight..I do sincerely appreciate people's thoughts and opinions. My wife had Knee replacement surgery recently and my duties as Home Health Care are calling. (On a side note..she has lost about 15 pounds..but not because of a Healthy diet or exercise..as she has been tied to the bed and chair..and moving about slowly as she recuperates.

I wish you all great success on your own personal journey!10j7pl5nsh9u.jpg
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    The moment I have to weigh food is a moment I stop dieting. But I do measure. Love MFP. 26 pounds and will have reached my goal. Whatever works we must find the diet that works for us and for me counting calories is amazing. Because I can enjoy all the foods I love while I lose weight.

Measuring is pretty much just as much effort if not more. For example if you buy oatmeal in bulk and want to make it for breakfast i could use a measuring cup and scoop it in a bowl. Or I could just place the bowl on the scale and dump it in until it hits 1 serving. This is A more accurate and B half as many dishes to wash. Same goes for a bunch of other stuff. Now if it's something like a hotdog and hotdog bun I won't bother but it's actually easier than a measuring cup and more accurate. My scale starts at 0 if I turn it on with a bowl on it already so if I want some chips or cereal it's just a matter of throwing some in and recording the number. Or if I buy stuff sold in small containers I can just put the container on the scale and take a few out an I'll get a negative number. That negative number is what I ate.

So much this! Yes, it's easier than measuring. I make a lot of soft tacos and it's just so wonderful to build the thing atop my food scale. If I were to measure out meat, cheese, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream it would be ridiculous. It also allows me more food later, because I never have the default amounts on there! I don't want a quarter cup of cheese on a taco!
  • manz_85
    manz_85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Totally understand what you are saying! I'm on a 1200 calorie diet & do 2 x gym sessions a day. Morning is cardio & arvo is cardio & light weights. In 4 wks i've lost 4kgs and i'm hoping this will continue. I think you still have to enjoy life & honestly who can bring scales around with them all day everyday? Good luck peoples!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I weigh 108. When I weighed an orange I ate recently, I found it was 40 calories more than what I had initially logged (based on eye-balling the fruit). For my calorie goal, that's a big deal.

Others may have more wiggle room, but when you are dealing with fewer calories, accuracy can be important.

Yes and no. I only had about 14lbs to lose at the end of 2009 and by the time that I joined MFP I had already lost 6 lbs without counting calories. I lost the rest and got to maintenance by just measuring, estimating, and even using some generic entries in this database. I didn't get a food scale until I reached maintenance and that was almost 6 years ago. The only reason to get the scale was to count my macros.

I am now hooked to the scale few times a week. I don't take the scale with me when on vacation, eating out or a friends house; heck I don't even estimate or log when I don't make the meals myself. I am trying to break the scale "umbilical cord."

So it is possible to lose weight and even maintain without a scale, but I agree that it may take more time; so if people don't mind and have good eating habits and are aware of what and how much they are eating, just let it be.

After all we are all special snow flakes...

Gisel..Thank you..I don't want to be tied to a scale or Internet site or app on my phone the rest of my life. I know it is hard to lose weight and then KEEP IT OFF..but at some point..aren't we all wanting to cut the umbilical cord of whatever it is that we're tied to?

For me the scales are a last ditch effort. I tried mindful eating, portion control, and "eyeballing". I got satisfactory results with those methods for a while. But when I stalled and then the stall turned into a long plateau I realized that I have to tighten up and pay closer attention.

I joined MFP in May but still haven't gotten the hang of measuring, weighing and counting calories and have not lost weight. I guess I am dragging my heels and not looking forward to "counting" and think about numbers every time I eat something.

Over 20 years I managed to get 20 pounds overweight. I've lost 1/2 of that and only have 10 pounds more to lose. But the current weight refuses to budge. I have gained and lost the same 4 pounds over and over for a long time during this last plateau.

In my earlier years I could gain 10 pounds over the winter and lose the 10 "vanity" pounds in the spring in about a month or two just in time for bikini weather by concentrating and cutting back without counting or measuring. I hate the idea of weighing but am willing to give it a go to see if I can get this weight to leave.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I weigh 108. When I weighed an orange I ate recently, I found it was 40 calories more than what I had initially logged (based on eye-balling the fruit). For my calorie goal, that's a big deal.

Others may have more wiggle room, but when you are dealing with fewer calories, accuracy can be important.

Yes and no. I only had about 14lbs to lose at the end of 2009 and by the time that I joined MFP I had already lost 6 lbs without counting calories. I lost the rest and got to maintenance by just measuring, estimating, and even using some generic entries in this database. I didn't get a food scale until I reached maintenance and that was almost 6 years ago. The only reason to get the scale was to count my macros.

I am now hooked to the scale few times a week. I don't take the scale with me when on vacation, eating out or a friends house; heck I don't even estimate or log when I don't make the meals myself. I am trying to break the scale "umbilical cord."

So it is possible to lose weight and even maintain without a scale, but I agree that it may take more time; so if people don't mind and have good eating habits and are aware of what and how much they are eating, just let it be.

Gisel..Thank you..I don't want to be tied to a scale or Internet site or app on my phone the rest of my life. I know it is hard to lose weight and then KEEP IT OFF..but at some point..aren't we all wanting to cut the umbilical cord of whatever it is that we're tied to?

For me the scales are a last ditch effort. I tried mindful eating, portion control, and "eyeballing". I got satisfactory results with those methods for a while. But when I stalled and then the stall turned into a long plateau I realized that I have to tighten up and pay closer attention.

I joined MFP in May but haven't gotten the hang of measuring, weighing and counting calories. I have always cut back on portions in the past and have never gotten over 20 pounds overweight. I've lost 1/2 of that and only have 10 pounds more to lose.

In my earlier years I could gain 10 pounds over the winter and lose the 10 "vanity" pounds in the spring in about a month or two just concentrating and cutting back without counting or measuring.

This is my first attempt to calorie count which I had always thought was excessive before now. I can empathize and sympathize with everyone who weighs and/or measures. People who never have to deal with trouble dropping pounds won't understand until/if they get to this point. That is not me anymore, so I have to do what needs to be done, much to my chagrin. I hate the idea of weighing but am willing to give it a go.

Unfortunately, as we "grow up" we have to learn to change things up. Doing what works at different phases of our life is not something to be ashamed of. Sometimes you have to get creative and try new things to get to where you're trying to go. The wonderful thing about MFP is that it's an opportunity to tap alot of ideas and experiences. Even Endlessfall, who has delivery problems, has interesting ideas if you cut out all the crap. I may have used those ideas in the past, and they are no longer successful, but he is successful and satisfied. Alot of people hate weighing and hate logging, and may be able to gain something from his posts. I thank him for explaining and it would be nice if he started a thread so others like him would share their secrets---then we wouldn't have to be jealous.
  • GeorgiaKett
    GeorgiaKett Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there BigDaddy58! Firstly well done on your weight loss that's really good. I have lost so far a total of a stone and one pound so i understand how great you feel. I am a twenty year old female, I am 5'8 in height and currently 10.12 in weight giving me a previous weight of 11.13. The highest I have ever weighed was six years ago at my mum and stepdads wedding where I weighed 13.3. I joined MFP when I went to Tenerife last year and lost six pounds and in a bit to loose more weight I have joined again. Personally I think that whatever age you are it is always important to do some form exercise and eat the right things your body needs. I know for a fact that most adults where I live don't take care of there health but when I go to the gym and see local older people there I think "You know what good for you for trying be healthy and keep in shape at 60 or whatever." However this will probably be worse in the USA. I also believe that when we do diet numbers are the only thing we live off e.g how many calories are in a packet of peanuts or crisps. I watched a programmee all about calories on the BBC Iplayer and what it was saying is if you consume more calories than your burning off throughout exercising you will get fat, and obviously you will not if you do the vice versa. I know for a fact that I can be a calorie mad because I asked a friend and she has said this to me, but I think it's just because I care alot about my body and physical apperance. I have a intake of 1000 as that is the amount apparently you should be having if you like to loose weight. Although given how crazy I can be about my calories I do have my guilt foods which are as follows: chocolate (i rarely eat this) and whenever my mum cooks meat things in a tomatoe sauce, chilli or fajitas, i love them all so much! It would be very boring if we all just went out with our friends, families and partners and just had salads all the time. I love salad don't get me wrong but life is to short to say no to a little bit of the sweet stuff like pizza and ice cream. I know as a young person lots of eating problems occur in women and I do not think I am one of them so thank the lord I don't have a fussy appetite. It's not just the self esteem side of things, aswell I want to live a long happy healthy life and I can't really be doing that by sitting around on my big bum all daya nd eat takeaways and smoking can I? I know I am no doctor or gym trainer but this is just how I feel on personal experience. Have a great day everyone.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hi there BigDaddy58! Firstly well done on your weight loss that's really good. I have lost so far a total of a stone and one pound so i understand how great you feel. I am a twenty year old female, I am 5'8 in height and currently 10.12 in weight giving me a previous weight of 11.13. The highest I have ever weighed was six years ago at my mum and stepdads wedding where I weighed 13.3. I joined MFP when I went to Tenerife last year and lost six pounds and in a bit to loose more weight I have joined again. Personally I think that whatever age you are it is always important to do some form exercise and eat the right things your body needs. I know for a fact that most adults where I live don't take care of there health but when I go to the gym and see local older people there I think "You know what good for you for trying be healthy and keep in shape at 60 or whatever." However this will probably be worse in the USA. I also believe that when we do diet numbers are the only thing we live off e.g how many calories are in a packet of peanuts or crisps. I watched a programmee all about calories on the BBC Iplayer and what it was saying is if you consume more calories than your burning off throughout exercising you will get fat, and obviously you will not if you do the vice versa. I know for a fact that I can be a calorie mad because I asked a friend and she has said this to me, but I think it's just because I care alot about my body and physical apperance. I have a intake of 1000 as that is the amount apparently you should be having if you like to loose weight. Although given how crazy I can be about my calories I do have my guilt foods which are as follows: chocolate (i rarely eat this) and whenever my mum cooks meat things in a tomatoe sauce, chilli or fajitas, i love them all so much! It would be very boring if we all just went out with our friends, families and partners and just had salads all the time. I love salad don't get me wrong but life is to short to say no to a little bit of the sweet stuff like pizza and ice cream. I know as a young person lots of eating problems occur in women and I do not think I am one of them so thank the lord I don't have a fussy appetite. It's not just the self esteem side of things, aswell I want to live a long happy healthy life and I can't really be doing that by sitting around on my big bum all daya nd eat takeaways and smoking can I? I know I am no doctor or gym trainer but this is just how I feel on personal experience. Have a great day everyone.

You are new here, so you have to know that under 1200 calories for a woman is forbidden on MFP. Alot of young women cut way too low and 1000 cal is to low for most--unless you are doctor supervised.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I joined MFP in May but haven't gotten the hang of measuring, weighing and counting calories. I have always cut back on portions in the past and have never gotten over 20 pounds overweight. I've lost 1/2 of that and only have 10 pounds more to lose.

In my earlier years I could gain 10 pounds over the winter and lose the 10 "vanity" pounds in the spring in about a month or two just concentrating and cutting back without counting or measuring.

This is my first attempt to calorie count which I had always thought was excessive before now. I can empathize and sympathize with everyone who weighs and/or measures. People who never have to deal with trouble dropping pounds won't understand until/if they get to this point. That is not me anymore, so I have to do what needs to be done, much to my chagrin. I hate the idea of weighing but am willing to give it a go.

Unfortunately, as we "grow up" we have to learn to change things up. Doing what works at different phases of our life is not something to be ashamed of. Sometimes you have to get creative and try new things to get to where you're trying to go. The wonderful thing about MFP is that it's an opportunity to tap alot of ideas and experiences. Even Endlessfall, who has delivery problems, has interesting ideas if you cut out all the crap. I may have used those ideas in the past, and they are no longer successful, but he is successful and satisfied. Alot of people hate weighing and hate logging, and may be able to gain something from his posts. I thank him for explaining and it would be nice if he started a thread so others like him would share their secrets---then we wouldn't have to be jealous.

Even after I "grew up" I successfully used intuitive eating and portion control for a long time and will go back to it when I get to maintenance unless the pounds creep back up. Either technique works very well, as you know. It is easier not to weigh IMO.

Many people on MFP seem not to mind weighing and have been successful losing, so I plan to try to get the hang of it and "change things up".
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

"Tractors" are great for moving a hill of dirt, "shovels" are best for precision.
    OP obviously understands this concept, as indicated in original post.
    So- why ask why? Nothing new to be learned.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I understand all the weighing of food, and worrying over whether it's 3.5 cups or 3.2 cups and whether it's actually 100 calories or maybe 150 calories. I get it. However, it doesn't make much sense to me. This is just MY opinion. Unless you're training for the Olympics, weighing in for a title fight and have to make weight, or are some world class athlete, or possibly for SERIOUS health issues, I really do not get it...

I do not weigh much of my food at all. I have a food scale and use it IF I have something which actually requires me to use it. Otherwise I use the information listed on the package or what MFP has for it. I started on Feb 29th at 308 # and weigh in Monday at 255.2# a loss of 52.8# in 98 days...

...I know the weight comes off easier, when you are really overweight, however. if you know your BMR, your TDEE and your approximate calorie intake, along with your ballpark calorie output, you can lose weight, or maintain, w/o weighing things, and worrying about little things? I know everyone is different

-->but I really don't get it.<--
    (Unless you fall in those certain categories I mentioned)

Maybe if I get down to 198 and have serious trouble losing anymore , I'll get more serious about it. But this is a lifestyle change

--->> it should not, after time, require food scales and worrying over juice in a can..should it?<---

I am not suggesting that you stop using a food scale, or stop trying to determine how many calories you input and how many you output, but at some point it is

-->>overdoing it..isn't it?<--

Not a knock on people who use whatever tools they wish for success. I wish everyone a successful journey on whatever course they've chosen.

YMMV as always

I think putting the debate into "should" or "shouldn't" makes people think in terms of "right" or "wrong". You are clearly saying that weighing and counting calories (in your opinion) is "overdoing it" FOR YOU. And it appears that you are acknowledging others may need to weigh, but you say you don't get it unless we fall into the other categories nentioned? So you do actually get it!
    :)